Entry Level Road Bike

Swany05

Looking to get into some road riding, casual stuff and maybe the 94.7. now im not looking to spend much money at all but rather to upgrade over time as and when needed.

Came across this 

post-11225-0-20514300-1540208866_thumb.jpg

Price and size seem good, im 183cm tall and ride a large MTB this frame is 56cm 

Any opinions?

TIA

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is difficult to gauge overall condition, especially groupset condition (from this side of the bike), but from the little detail it seems like you'd do the 94.7 quite comfortably. I'm not sure what size the chainring is, looks small from this side. The headset looks like it is an older model frame and fork, possibly quill stem too, but thats just an observation of age, not a problem at all.

TLDR: if I had to choose between my sworks epic and this road bike, I'd probably take this road bike for 94.7.

edit: oh, regarding upgradeability and the frame age, better to wait for others with knowledge regarding upgradeability of this frame (i'm still new to road biking frames, though have built up a contemporary and vintage road bike). The crankset may be an older square type and with the quill stem, not sure how these 2 things limit upgradeability options.

Edited by Dirkitech

Depends on the price. Looking at the quill headset, that bike could be 20 years old.

Size seems to be right too.

If the price is right and if it's in good condition, it will do the job.

This one can be had for less than R2000, from the research i have done it seems its a 1998 model. 

The only thing i can see being an issue is if the headset is a 1inch, which would limit my the upgrade process, not that i think its a requirement unless the fork is bent. 

This one can be had for less than R2000, from the research i have done it seems its a 1998 model. 

The only thing i can see being an issue is if the headset is a 1inch, which would limit my the upgrade process, not that i think its a requirement unless the fork is bent. 

Bargain! Take it!

Plenty of upgrades to be had in the classifieds if you wait patiently :thumbup:

Price?

If, by "upgrade over time", you mean "buy another bike later", then OK.  I wouldn't upgrade bits and pieces of that bike, though.  The only way to get it on par with modern road bikes would be to replace everything.

Most important is that it fits you, so do some online fit calculators if you're not sure.  I notice that the handlebar stem is quite long - probably good if you are 183cm, but you might struggle to find replacements to change the length if you need to because it is a very old style quill stem for 1 inch head tubes.  The handlebars have deep drops - very much out of fashion for a long time now, unless you are very flexible and can cope with the drops so low.  They will be very low for you, since you will need the saddle quite high on a 56cm bike.

Also be aware that Cannondales from this time period (late 1990's, early 2000's) were known to be harsh rides, with the stiff frame transmitting all the bumps into your body.  Connondale fixed this later by adding carbon forks and curves to the seat stays, but the model in your picture seems to be from before they did that.  You probably won't be able to reduce the bumps by putting on wider tires, because their wasn't much space for tires between the thick chain stays, if I remember correctly.

If the price is low (I think <R2000), it would be OK, but the harsh ride might put you off road riding.  If the size and other measurements are not a good fit for you, definitely not, no matter how cheap.  If it was me, I think I would look around some more for one of the aluminium bikes from the mid 2000's.  They all had carbon forks and some had carbon stays too, as well as curves to reduce vertical stiffness.  I still ride a Litespeed Antares from 2004 with 25mm tires, and it is a comfortable ride.

Price?

If, by "upgrade over time", you mean "buy another bike later", then OK.  I wouldn't upgrade bits and pieces of that bike, though.  The only way to get it on par with modern road bikes would be to replace everything.

Most important is that it fits you, so do some online fit calculators if you're not sure.  I notice that the handlebar stem is quite long - probably good if you are 183cm, but you might struggle to find replacements to change the length if you need to because it is a very old style quill stem for 1 inch head tubes.  The handlebars have deep drops - very much out of fashion for a long time now, unless you are very flexible and can cope with the drops so low.  They will be very low for you, since you will need the saddle quite high on a 56cm bike.

Also be aware that Cannondales from this time period (late 1990's, early 2000's) were known to be harsh rides, with the stiff frame transmitting all the bumps into your body.  Connondale fixed this later by adding carbon forks and curves to the seat stays, but the model in your picture seems to be from before they did that.  You probably won't be able to reduce the bumps by putting on wider tires, because their wasn't much space for tires between the thick chain stays, if I remember correctly.

If the price is low (I think <R2000), it would be OK, but the harsh ride might put you off road riding.  If the size and other measurements are not a good fit for you, definitely not, no matter how cheap.  If it was me, I think I would look around some more for one of the aluminium bikes from the mid 2000's.  They all had carbon forks and some had carbon stays too, as well as curves to reduce vertical stiffness.  I still ride a Litespeed Antares from 2004 with 25mm tires, and it is a comfortable ride.

harsh ride but fast bikes - at that price a great deal considering its condition - if it fits you and your budget go with it - you dont upgrade that you ride it till you decide you need better and sell it  - you could try running 25c tires but as mentioned check they fit before purchase

do a lot of "planking" or you will have a sore ass and sore neck on that lol

Edited by bikebloke

It looks like 25 width tires should fit, according to this link:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/anyone-using-700x25s-caad4-frame-74958.html

harsh ride but fast bikes - at that price a great deal considering its condition - if it fits you and your budget go with it - you dont upgrade that you ride it till you decide you need better and sell it  - you could try running 25c tires but as mentioned check they fit before purchase

do a lot of "planking" or you will have a sore ass and sore neck on that lol

For under R2k as a starter road bike it's not a bad option. In its day it was a high-end machine. Assuming of course you feel comfortable on it size wise.

As others have mentioned, there's no value in trying to upgrade parts on that bike, it's just too old to be economically viable. You ride it & save up to buy a newer bike, if you find yourself enjoying the road.

One potential issue might be the gearing. Check what the front chainrings are, it's not improbable that it's running a 52/42 upfront with an easiest gear of 23 at the rear. It was a common setup in the 90s. Your knees aren't going to appreciate it...I know mine don't now!

Looking to get into some road riding, casual stuff and maybe the 94.7. now im not looking to spend much money at all but rather to upgrade over time as and when needed.

Came across this 

attachicon.gif42292022_10217582011640769_359578914038743040_n.jpg

Any opinions?

TIA

Not a bad looking steed. Maybe upgrade the tyres and the saddle in the mean time, if that's the bike you're going to get.

Edited by WeekendWarrior80

Came across this 

attachicon.gif42292022_10217582011640769_359578914038743040_n.jpg

Any opinions?

TIA

You better try the fit

That's more like a med compact equivalent

I had a 63cm in the day and I ride an XL(58) compact road 

You better try the fit

That's more like a med compact equivalent

I had a 63cm in the day and I ride an XL(58) compact road

Height alone is not definitive, having said that a friend is 1.82 and has been riding an equivalent 'Dale in size 56 for 15 years.

Fits him perfectly, and this should be very close to fitting the OP, although a 58 would also work.

For <R2k, that is a lovely classic bike with proper racing pedigree.

Ps.

You can get Cannondale support at Makro now

If the bike is that cheap and it fits buy it. Remove handle bar tape and double wrap those bars for more comfiness. get a saddle that works for you, I hade expensive carbon ones and cheap ones. Only one that worked was a Fabric and they are on the cheaper side. Then check if you can fir 25mm tyres. It will then ride like a dream, without the carbonaceous feel of course. 

Dont worry about the age of a Cannondale, that aluminium frame will outlast most modern aluminium frames. I ride a CAD 3 with a 1" Aheadset and a carbon fork, still as solid as the day it was bought.

I am 1.86m tall with a 910mm inseam and ride a 60cm 'dale.

The OP is 1.83 tall, just check your inseam you might be ok.

My brother in law is the same height as I am but has short arms and legs and is happy on a 56-58cm 'dale.