Gravel Road Rides 2019

Chris NewbyFraser

I trawled though listings for next years events to see how many gravel road events there are. Here's the list I could put together:

Date Event name distance area

25 Jan Lindley Gravel grind 116/230 E. Free State

16 Feb Race to the Sun 167  

23 Feb Ride the Karoo 80/160 Middelburg  E cape

4 March Gravel Grind tour 3 days Karoo

16 Mar Eroica (no mtb allowed) 45/90/140 Montagu

23 Mar Berg100 100 S Drakensburg/Midlands

29 Mar Cullinan to Tonteldoos 260 Mpumalanga

6 Apr Magscor Cederberg 100miler 2 days W Cape

April Karoobaix (no mtb) loooong Karoo

May Amarider 160 Boland

3 May Gravel Grind tour 3 days Karoo 

16 May Gravel Grind tour 3 days Karoo 

17 May 36One 180/361 Oudtshoorn

15 June 1000miler Jhb to Cape Town

15 June Free State Dash Jhb to Bloemfontein

10 Aug Transbaviaans #1 230 Klein Karoo

17 Aug Transbaviaans #2 230 Klein Karoo

22 Sept Karoo2Coast 100 Knysna Oct Tour of Ara multiday Karoo

Three things stood out when looking at the various details:

1: Most are in the south of SA, mostly W Cape.

There is a heavy leaning towards very long distances. When you consider that most paved road races in SA are about 100km or less in length, it seems strange that the more enjoyable, and certainly safer environment of gravel road routes seem to focus on even longer distances, despite the far harder riding terrain. Odd, that!

These events, even though they require little in the away of route building or large marshaling teams, are generally very expensive to enter.

Anybody have other events to add to this list?

Some of those I wouldn't be too keen to ride on a gravel bike.

Swartberg Gran Fondo?

I think the length has to do with making 'the most' of the event and a weekend away.

It's also kind of the 'scene' on gravel grinding all over the world. Big distances and a challenge more than a race for most.

Cullinan 2 Tonteldoos does not allow gravel bikes.

Race to Sun, not sure I’ll do on gravel bike again.

Swartberg Gran Fondo is perfect for gravel bike. Descent back to Prince Albert in the drops requires concentration.

Not sure there’s any benefit doing TransBaviaans on gravel bike. Sure you’ll be slower and will suffer more.

Karoobaix is a fantastic event but very tough.

Gravel Grinders offered from Prince Albert is perfect for gravel bikes and great fun.

Edited by jcza

Gravel Grand Prix Cycle Series - Verkykerskop. Two day stage race. Was held this weekend. Has anybody got some feedback on this event?

Around the Pot, Swellendam 20 July 2019 (25, 60, & 100 miler)

This was definitely one of my favorite events this year. Did it on my MTB, next year I'm giving it a shot on my gravel bike. And I'm having at least two roosterkoeke at the pont next year!

Just a comment on the prevalence of long distance: I think that it's more a case of people who want to do long distance prefer gravel than people who want to do gravel prefer long distance.

Safety is the biggest factor for organisers that do long distance races. Take Massive Adventures. They organise Lindley Gravel Grind, 1000 Miller, and Karroo Dash. They used to also do Trans Afrika, and Durban Dashes. These were mostly road. They have been removed from the calendar due to safety concerns.

In 2017, I did 147km of the Cederberg 100Miler before being pulled off for being a slow tortoise.

The roads were very corrugated.

That was on my "trail/enduro" hardtail with DH tyres and 140mm travel - won a free entry and was the only bike I had at the time, only got my Escapade this year.

This year a mate did it and said very few people were on gravel bikes and he doubted more gravel bikes would be making an appearance owing to the rough roads...

Rainmaker Rollercoaster - October 2019

The Rainmaker Rollercoaster offers riders the chance to race 550km with 8000m of climbing across the Western Cape

Jewbacca, Nick and I did Swartberg Gran Fondo this year. 

Jew and I on gravel bikes - very well suited.

Nick on an endurance road bike - probably a bit skimpy for the gravel sections, especially the last descent down the pass! But, check out his review of the event earlier this year...

That being said, Nick was pretty quick with the slick tyres (and gears) on the tar.

Rainmaker Rollercoaster - October 2019

The Rainmaker Rollercoaster offers riders the chance to race 550km with 8000m of climbing across the Western Cape

Jirre!  :blink: 

Multi-day I hope!

Any more before I update list?

I imagine that the huge forest plantations around the country could produce stunning gravel road races. Think Longmore in E Cape, the Sabie/Pilgrims area, the endless KZN plantations as well, of course, the W Cape areas. The Barberton Classic used to be held on largely gravel fire roads and high quality jeep tracks (with occasional short mtb sections) - dunno what the route is like now.