Exercise indoor cycle and supper

Clazst

I want to know how much time do you rest from indoor cycle then going having a dinner? 30mins or right way? What is best advise? Tks

I want to know how much time do you rest from indoor cycle then going having a dinner? 30mins or right way? What is best advise? Tks

Well if you want the alcohol to have maximum effect, go to dinner as soon as you can!

Personally I have little appetite after an evening session, or I may not stay awake long enough for it to develop.

since a post work out recovery dose of protein and electrolytes is often recommended within a short time after completing a decent work out, I'd say go enjoy supper immediately if you want. Don't think it's hard and fast though. Often times, I just have a small something to eat afterward, but then don't feel hungry enough for another full meal.  So have a small post-workout snack, but eat the meal if you are hungry enough.

I generally listen to my body... High intensity training makes me completely lose any appetite and I wait up to an hour. Sometime I'm hungry as a wolf minutes after a long ride. 

Depends on how hard the sessions was personally. I am often starving straight after a sesh. I down a 500-750ml water and that helps me to not immediately stuff my face with cookies. Then 30 minutes afterwards, nice protein filled supper for recovery

Protein/recovery shake almost immediately after session. Then 30-40mins later a light supper (this is usually already a bit late) then hydrate while food settles and roughly 2 hrs later - sleep...

Cool down, shower and change then eat - so maybe 30 min after the session ends.

Research shows that to maximize recovery, eating should be quite quick post exercise - within 20 - 30 min, or it makes no measurable difference if you wait longer.

Usually I'll grab a steri-stumpi or recovery shake as soon as I finish then cool down for 5 minutes before I start cooking. Then food will be ready 25 - 50 minutes later depending on what I'm cooking.

Just my 2 cents...I used to eat around +/- 6pm (not a huge meal on the nights I know I will do indoor training), then took my son for his bath 6h30-7h00 pm and then trained on the IDT directly after he is in bed for about 40-60 minutes.

Had a recovery / protein drink after training and then maybe a small something (if I was still a bit peckish...but that did not happen much).

I never trained on IDT and then ate supper, so I can not comment on that part, but I like to have something to eat after I get back from a weekend morning ride directly after I get back and waiting for my bath water + a protein / recovery drink (normally while I relax in bath...LOL).

Try a few different scenarios and see what works for you...

Cool down, shower and change then eat - so maybe 30 min after the session ends.

Research shows that to maximize recovery, eating should be quite quick post exercise - within 20 - 30 min, or it makes no measurable difference if you wait longer.

Would you be able to provide reading sources for that research please?

I'm currently doing fasted rides and researching as I go, so would be great to add to my poor knowledge of timing and nutrition!

Would you be able to provide reading sources for that research please?

I'm currently doing fasted rides and researching as I go, so would be great to add to my poor knowledge of timing and nutrition!

Ferguson, Rossi, et al published detailed research on the "Effects of caloric restriction and overnight fasting on cycling endurance performance". 

It can be accessed at the Journal of Strength and conditioning research.

They conclude;

"In our subject population of 10 trained cyclists, there was no decrement in submaximal endurance cycling performance or maximal exercise performance after 3 weeks of 40% CR combined with an overnight fast. The cyclists' PWR and body composition values improved significantly, with decreases in overall weight, fat weight, and body fat percentage and maintenance of lean mass. Ratings of perceived exertion decreased significantly during 2 hours of submaximal cycling post-CR. In addition, there was no decrement in metabolic performance measures, and PLWR and RMR were also maintained. This suggests that CR (up to 40% for 3 weeks) and exercising after fasting overnight can improve a cyclist's PWR without compromising endurance cycling performance. Furthermore, this study demonstrates that a short-term period of moderately severe CR is not detrimental to the conditioning process. Athletes can continue to prepare for the upcoming race season in terms of endurance training while dieting to reduce body weight without losing significant muscle mass in the process. However, it is not known what would happen to performance if an athlete were to prolong his or her exposure to the CR beyond 3 weeks, or to repeat the 3-week exposure to CR with short intervals of balanced energy intake in between. The current data suggest that a protocol such as the one outlined in this report would be most appropriate if used in the off-season to increase PWR or during the season before a competition."

Whilst the research does not deal directly with the nutritional timing, a number of the references, including Riley, Israel et al. in the "Effect of carbohydrate ingestion on exercise endurance" does expand on that more specifically.

There are two decent podcast discussions (read opinion) on nutrition and training. Both discussions start at about 4min in.

fast-talk-ep-15-should-you-eat-gummi-bears-like-sagan-the-difference-between-food-and-fuel

fast-talk-ep-37-sugar-wheat-paleo-and-performance-nutrition

Ferguson, Rossi, et al published detailed research on the "Effects of caloric restriction and overnight fasting on cycling endurance performance". 

It can be accessed at the Journal of Strength and conditioning research.

snip

Whilst the research does not deal directly with the nutritional timing, a number of the references, including Riley, Israel et al. in the "Effect of carbohydrate ingestion on exercise endurance" does expand on that more specifically.

That is very interesting, thank you! It addressing training through fasted rides, not eating within a certain timespan after finishing training?

Edited by Dirkitech