The bad ride

Furbz

So i had a real shoddy 94.7 MTB race.

in the run up to the race i have been putting out great power figures and feeling generally very positive and fantastic on the bike.

the run up to the event i backed off completely and ended up with very good freshness according to GoldenCheetah. doing hour long easy rides with a couple tempo 1 minute intervals to make sure the legs did not forget how to work.

i woke up 3 hours before my start time, got my food in and had a short nap. then did a warmup on the trainer for 30min.

first warnings something was not right was my heart rate was high. i attributed this to the double espresso i had to help me wake up and sharpen up.

i hydrated well and had a good nights sleep.

at the start as expected the pace was high.

well my legs just refused to go. 

i struggled to hold a 80% effort and was dropped half way up the first hill breathing hard and with a heart rate that was through the roof. it averaged 168 for the 2h22 and my power figures were the same as an average pedal around ride.

i really had to dig deep on the last 2 hills to ride at a 70%.

the strange thing was it was not a "bonk" i just had nothing in me

anyone with some advice?

or do i chalk this up to the fact that occasionally we just have a shitty ride

I had the same scenario 3 weeks ago and ended up coming down with the worst flu/fever ive ever had. 5 days in bed for my efforts!!! I believe there are some serious doses going around. I hope for your sake this is not the case but just in case I would suggest staying very hydrated and popping a few VitC and Zinc tablets.
I hope it was just a case of "bad legs day"

I had the farts for most of the day.

No smell. But constant and unwavering.

Also have a headache panado won't touch

Sorry in advance for the overshare

Edited by Furbz

The flatulence may be something you ate ( post nasal drip can upset the stomach) , however the headache is exactly where my flu started... after a course of cortisone and antibiotics what came out of my sinuses would have gone down well at any rave. Doc said it starts as mild runny noses and if not sorted out pretty quickly can get worse ... basically bacterial infection and man down

Like is said I hope for your sake its NOT the case

Edited by Paulst12

Almost identical story here, ave HR 164 and battling to hold number on climb thru Steyn City and finish.

Tough week at the office but decent level of fitness and freshness according to TP. Freshness might be too high at 12, prefer to do short races like this with freshness at 0 or just below.

Haven’t been sick for months, guess it’s one of those days. Hope to do better next week.

Farts without flavour? Haibo! Now that's depressing...

Definitely a gogga in the system there, Furbz

Unless:

???? You were hyper-anxious or panicky and have drained your energy reserves considerably

???? The weather was unusually hot and you were not accustomed

Agree with Dale could be the heat I know I suffer on really hot days. Hope it's that and not that you are getting sick because the only thing worse than suffering in the heat is being sick when it's this hot.

Naa. Reckon you forgot to put on your big boy bibs that morning and shouldn’t have skipped the teaspoon of cement in the double yucky-espressos...

Big match temperament letting you down there.

Naa. Reckon you forgot to put on your big boy bibs that morning and shouldn’t have skipped the teaspoon of cement in the double yucky-espressos...

Big match temperament letting you down there.

Eish, next you will be telling him he confused 'lactate' threshold with 'laxative'. Although that could explain the farts.

I've had the same thing happen. Eventually found out my iron levels were low. Could also be low magnesium or potassium. Whatever it is I would definitely try find the cause and not ignore it. Very easy to dig a big hole for yourself trying to swallow htfu tabs instead of finding the cause.