Cyclechallenge mtb 55km comment

Chris NewbyFraser

Never having ridden the 947 mtb event(it has never attracted me), I decided to do so this year before my legs cannot go the distance thanks to advancing age and the related muffin top, spare tyre issues.

I have to differ from the ladies race winner Robyn de Groot, who feels the route deserves more interest from other pro's. While the effort required to complete the route (for a recreational rider) was acceptable, I found the route to be sub-standard for an event deemed to be Joburg's signature event. My basic criticisms are that there were too many pinch-points, to much boring open jeep track and, sheesh man! the *** smell from riding around Joberg's biggest sewage farm is horrible. The sections in Northern Farms and along the river were nice - when we were not caught behind slower riders but the rest of the route through the 'city' - a definite zero.

The last 8km of climbing are good for weeding out the pretenders to the throne but, for an event aimed at large numbers of 'D' group and slower recreational weekend riders and victims of pub dare's, that last section of hills is too much. As was done with the road event this year, the last 25% of the route needs to provide an easier environment for this category of riders.

Or.............; the event needs to introduce a qualifying process which ensures that entrants can deal with the route without going into the heart's red zone for so long.

With regard to the venue, there are some improvements that should be made:

: signage. Because the finish venue is so widely laid out, better signage to direct people to food, toilets etc should be displayed. After finishing, I really needed a boerie roll or something solid but could not find a single vendor despite walking round and round. I found a pancake place that was closed up and there was enough beer to keep Diepsloot blotto for a week, but a quick food stand? Aiyiko! no such stuff could I find. It no doubt was there, but tucked away someplace. Put it next to the booze, people!!

: distance from silver parking to the venue. I saw so many families trying to walk the huge distance to the start (and back later) so they could see their riders. It was brutal for little kiddies. In future, if this widely spread venue is used, shuttles should be introduced.

: Number collection. It was a long trek to get to number collection, which was held in an unadorned marquee in the middle of a cleared piece of veld. No razzmatazz and definitely not designed to impress anybody. Petrol price wise, it was an expensive trip just to pick up an envelope.

Given the superb event presentation surrounding the road event, the organisers definitely dropped the ball with the mtb. It was not up to the standard that is expected for such an (supposedly) prestigious event.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Chris, 

I agree with a lot of your points, and thus I did not do the event this year... 

I also feel for the Families that walk 2km in that heat to see their loved ones. I believe that there will be shuttles at the Road race on Sunday.

I have to differ from the ladies race winner Robyn de Groot, who feels the route deserves more interest from other pro's. While the effort required to complete the route (for a recreational rider) was acceptable, I found the route to be sub-standard for an event deemed to be Joburg's signature event. My basic criticisms are that there were too many pinch-points, to much boring open jeep track and, sheesh man! the *** smell from riding around Joberg's biggest sewage farm is horrible. The sections in Northern Farms and along the river were nice - when we were not caught behind slower riders but the rest of the route through the 'city' - a definite zero.

So there were too many narrow bits and too many wide bits?

You can't have it both ways unfortunately. If there are too many narrow points and too much single track people whinge about being stuck behind slower riders. Too open with too much dirt road or jeep track and people whinge about it being boring. Lose-lose situation.

Big chunks of Northern Farms smell terrible too, we just didn't ride those bits on Sunday. Also I don't recall it smelling bad for particularly long sections.

And as a final point, on any lengthy bit of single track you are always either stuck behind a slower rider or you are the slower rider that other people are stuck behind so that's really not a point specific to this race.

The last 8km of climbing are good for weeding out the pretenders to the throne but, for an event aimed at large numbers of 'D' group and slower recreational weekend riders and victims of pub dare's, that last section of hills is too much. As was done with the road event this year, the last 25% of the route needs to provide an easier environment for this category of riders.

Or.............; the event needs to introduce a qualifying process which ensures that entrants can deal with the route without going into the heart's red zone for so long.

There are qualifying criteria for the 55km last I checked, unless they dropped them for this year. I believe that you have to have completed a 50km MTB event in the few months leading up to the 94.7 to qualify.

: Number collection. It was a long trek to get to number collection, which was held in an unadorned marquee in the middle of a cleared piece of veld. No razzmatazz and definitely not designed to impress anybody. Petrol price wise, it was an expensive trip just to pick up an envelope.

What events have you been riding that you don't have to trek off somewhere to collect your race pack?

Edited by Jehosefat

I agree with Chris about the last 8 km. Unlike the road race which is basically an inverted V, this was more of a W profile route – most of the climbing occurred from just after halfway. From that point on people climbed consistently pretty much to the end. If you look at it as a whole, it was by far and away the most strenuous climb of the day in terms combination of length and gradient (in other words, when you take the two together). You might be forgiven for thinking it was designed to make it very hard indeed for the less advanced riders, given that a lot of people were riding in the heat of the middle of the day. Remember that the elite riders kicked off very early (6:30 AM if I am not mistaken - and were home and dry by about 8:30 AM). Take somebody who is perhaps not that fit, a little bit overweight and is now pretty tired and reasonably dehydrated as well (bearing in mind you can never put back fluid into yourself at the rate at which you lose it on a ride) and that its 32° in the shade and about 39° out on the track – you are putting that person at considerable risk. As far as I am aware there was no qualifying criteria this year. Certainly nothing on the website when I entered.

I for one would be very interested to hear the organisers' comments on these issues. Personally, I think it's pretty reckless and I am by no means persuaded that a court would not go behind the indemnity forms to hold the organisers and sponsors responsible should people come to harm in such conditions. But that's a separate debate, perhaps for another time.

And as a final point, on any lengthy bit of single track you are always either stuck behind a slower rider or you are the slower rider that other people are stuck behind so that's really not a point specific to this race.

Exactly why I never moan when I'm stuck behind someone in a race.

When they say sorry and will let me come passed when they get the opportunity, I just respond back that "If I'm still behind you X far into the race, I really don't deserve to be in front of you right now"

mtb races that piggy back onto the back of successful Road races are never really that good, or "prestigeous".

The quick buck factor n all.

The route certainly has improved since the earlier editions, those were just horrible.

do it once and move on.

So there were too many narrow bits and too many wide bits?

You can't have it both ways unfortunately. If there are too many narrow points and too much single track people whinge about being stuck behind slower riders. Too open with too much dirt road or jeep track and people whinge about it being boring. Lose-lose situation.

Big chunks of Northern Farms smell terrible too, we just didn't ride those bits on Sunday. Also I don't recall it smelling bad for particularly long sections.

There are qualifying criteria for the 55km last I checked, unless they dropped them for this year. I believe that you have to have completed a 50km MTB event in the few months leading up to the 94.7 to qualify.

What events have you been riding that you don't have to trek off somewhere to collect your race pack?

No qualifying is required at all. As to race registration, I pick this up at the start venue on the morning of the race.

It was HOT!

Why only start A1 at 7:00? 

Sunrise was at 5:14 so they could have started at 6:00 and that would have helped the riders in A8 and A9 a lot.

Some of them recorder temps into the 40's. 

I also hated those final climbs in Steyn City. I hated it last year as well. It's boring. 

Judging by the language used by the guy on the single speed in front of me, he also didn't think much of those final climbs!

Considering they have to cater for so many people I thought the route was not that bad ?

There was actually quite a bit of single track ( maybe too much for the later batches that might have had bottlenecks - but as mentioned earlier , you cannot have single tracks without having bottlenecks in a race with a lot of participants ) . So not too boring for a mass event I think .

The climbing wasn't hectic ? 650 meters on a 55 km race is definitely doable .

And as far as the stench goes - you cannot really blame the organisers for that now can you ? Rain before the event would have eliminated that to a large extend .

You might have a point regarding letting people qualify to be able to do the event , but to be honest , I think the organisers will get even more stick for that from people that want to ride and are refused entry because of not qualifying ??

In the end the race is what it is - a mass participation Mtb event with single track ( bottlenecks ) some twists and turns on loose gravel and some climbing to be done in order to finish . It's supposed to be a " challenge " for the average guy is it not ?

I had a hoot. Can't fault the route. That 50k is not for the faint hearted. But... sooooo much more interesting than the old route of a few years ago. Agree they should start at 6am if possible. Woesed out this year and did the 25k sprint. Finished at 8.10am and there was still plenty batches lining up, some of those poor suckers must have got off at like 9.30am for a late lunch finish! Shame man!! The new finish was ok (still love those cold face cloths!) but the layout of the food and beverage hospitality wasn't so lekker. Bit confusing inside Riversand Farm. Couldn't find the beer tent (well... it didn't slam me in the face... lol) so I left. But all in all, an awesome morning. 

Edited by Spinsei

This is why I have foregone riding MTB events. I hate a race on a gravel road being called a MTB race, and then when you do race an event with ST, it is congested with people who are encountering single track for the first time ever...you end up walking / vloeking / bundu bashing way too much to make it pleasurable.

I rather wait for the circus to pass, and ride the trails as they should be ridden, i.e. you and your buddies, and maybe the odd other rider or two which you come across on the day. 

If I want crowds (which I almost never do) I go to the Waterfront, and act like a tourist.

First time I did it.

Thoughts :

So hot. Should start earlier. Those traveling from a far distance (a vast minority) can't be the reason for making the majority ride in blazing heat. First batch 6am next time.

Food area confusing to get to. And too open with the heat. But really I'm nitpicking. Had food and drinks. Which was needed.

Route - some nice single track at Northerns. Some decent climbing too. Knocked my legs big time and the last climb was too close to mid-day. Super hot.

Well signposted on the route (unlike ENX where some people went in a circle at one point), with plenty of support staff and vehicles (unlike the last event at KingsKloof which had zero support for riders). Good food points and plenty liquids.

Collection point was ridiculous. Such a drive to pick up the pack (and shampoo?!? Lol)

Enjoyed it. You do it for the challenge and the vibe. There is much better singletrack you can do on a weekend on your own.

Did I mention it was hot?!?

Spare a thought for the guys that have to travel from out of town to get to the races please .

Already had to get up at 3:00 to be on time for this one .

Book accom in Joeys the night before