High5 Sports drink 4:1

Chris NewbyFraser

Being a well organised sort of person, I naturally left both water bottles with 32gi behind in the fridge when I went to the CycleChallenge mtb event. Scrambling around I bought two new water bottles and had to settle for an untried energy juice powder.

I put a 47g sachet of British made High5 4:1 into a 750ml bottle (a lighter mixture than recommended) and hit the race. Well, most of that stuff stayed in the bottle and I drank Coke and water from the pit stops.

The drink tasted like the stuff we used to get in the 90's - yeah! that stuff changed pretty fast back then as riders slammed drink makers. It also has a glue like effect and I had to use water to unstick my tongue from the roof of my mouth. The mixture constantly foamed in the bottle. 

My personal take on High5? Rubbish!

Used the 2:1 formulation during training for, and during Ironman. Worked well, still use it. No issues with consistency, taste or stickiness

I use the High5 tabs which I throw into my bottles and I love them.  I far prefer them to any other tabs I've tried, and definitely nicer than powers which you have to mix up.

Guess everyone is going to have a different preference.

So you failed with your preparations to bring your own drinks, you tried something you have never tried before which has been used by others who it works for but not for you as you did not like it.... so you complain?

Maybe if you are unsure of something then just cycle on water.

Edit: a review of the stuff you did not like https://road.cc/content/review/57768-high5-41-carbohydrateprotein-drink-mix

Edited by shaper

Being a well organised sort of person, I naturally left both water bottles with 32gi behind in the fridge when I went to the CycleChallenge mtb event. Scrambling around I bought two new water bottles and had to settle for an untried energy juice powder.

I put a 47g sachet of British made High5 4:1 into a 750ml bottle (a lighter mixture than recommended) and hit the race. Well, most of that stuff stayed in the bottle and I drank Coke and water from the pit stops.

The drink tasted like the stuff we used to get in the 90's - yeah! that stuff changed pretty fast back then as riders slammed drink makers. It also has a glue like effect and I had to use water to unstick my tongue from the roof of my mouth. The mixture constantly foamed in the bottle. 

how organized do you really think you are if you forget that of all things... :whistling: :whistling:

Isn't that the one with protein? I'm not surprised its gloopy then.

the 4:1 is not the protein one .the one containing protein is the 5:1.

so you tried a new product,mixed it wrong and did not use it as intended and then you call it rubbish?to each his own.for what it is worth I have used High 5 as does many others with no issues.

I only use the high5 tabs, sometimes just half a tab if going for a shortish ride, have not tried any of the other high5 products.

High5 is by far the best riding supplement I have ever used   :) 
Personal preference hey

Totally agree.  I won't use anything else  :thumbup:

the 4:1 is not the protein one .the one containing protein is the 5:1.

I don't think there is a 5:1 product - the 4:1 is definitely a carb/protein mix, as per Shaper's link above

Edited by Shell Belle

What's the point to this thread? I don't really understand the OP.

Is he complaining because it is British made and he is still sour about the rugby?

Is he frustrated with himself for not being as organised as he claims?

Is he cross because he only had one sachet for a 750ml bottle?

Where did he buy the sachet and bottle? Pretty sure if it was a retail pop up store they would have a few options with 32gi being one of them as it does seem readily available at the shops I frequent.

Maybe I am just slow? (Yes I know I am slow on the bike but also slow to this thread)