I Need a bit more power / energy for 947

Sven137

On the 55 MTB i lost power and could not take the heat and the Hills and my average speed fell...

What can i do to to power up for the next week and have a bit in the tank for the 947 road challenge?

Must i eat Pasta all week ?

And what can i do on the the day before and on the day of the challenge?

I'm not a racing snake and am looking to do a 4 hour challenge.

My chest feels a bit tight as well.

any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Sven137

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a 4hr target, you can probably afford to manage your efforts and ride reasonably conservatively.

Avoid going too hard too soon - pick the wheels/groups going at the pace you need to be going, no faster nor slower.

Stay hydrated and fueled on the road.

Don't do too many different things ito nutrition leading up to the weekend - continue with what's gotten you to this point.

Most importantly, enjoy the occasion.

On the 55 MTB i lost power and could not take the heat and the Hills and my average speed fell...

What can i do to to power up for the next week and have a bit in the tank for the 947 road challenge?

Maybe it's a good idea to go and see your doctor

Go and see a doctor now. Make sure you're not ill and safe to ride.

Like everyone says, rather safe than sorry (or dead) regarding that tight chest. Also a safer play to have the gp check you out and give you the green, because paper trails. Heart attacks can come at any time, more so if there is possible cause!

Once the DR gives you the all clear, eat a decent diet this week and try keep off your feet when not necessary. Do some light riding just to keep the legs awake. Saturday do as little as possible, don't mow the lawn or do park run. Sunday morning have a decent breakfast and drink lots. Stick to foods and drinks that you/your tummy know.

Make sure you manage your energy (and temps) well. Apparently the reverse route is a killer over the first half.

Once the DR gives you the all clear, eat a decent diet this week and try keep off your feet when not necessary. Do some light riding just to keep the legs awake. Saturday do as little as possible, don't mow the lawn or do park run. Sunday morning have a decent breakfast and drink lots. Stick to foods and drinks that you/your tummy know.

I've always followed a race day prep that says do nothing on the Friday but do an easy hour  spin with a few short intervals on the Saturday to prep the legs for Sunday.

The times that I've been busy and done nothing on the Saturday my legs have felt "dead" on the Sunday.

Where did you get your plan from?

I've always followed a race day prep that says do nothing on the Friday but do an easy hour  spin with a few short intervals on the Saturday to prep the legs for Sunday.

The times that I've been busy and done nothing on the Saturday my legs have felt "dead" on the Sunday.

Where did you get your plan from?

I also tend to follow something similar to you but I also do a 2h30/2h45 947. I think for someone aiming for a 4hr they don't need to take it as seriously as you and I. When I used to watch super cycling back in the day and before the big races AM and OH used to say what I posted. They also used to say start slow and don't worry about the people who start fast. We all know that is not possible in the racing groups. 

I also tend to follow something similar to you but I also do a 2h30/2h45 947. I think for someone aiming for a 4hr they don't need to take it as seriously as you and I. When I used to watch super cycling back in the day and before the big races AM and OH used to say what I posted. They also used to say start slow and don't worry about the people who start fast. We all know that is not possible in the racing groups.

Ah. The universe is back in order :-)

Good advice I reckon. Well played.

Don’t try anything new now, it’s to late now .....

especially from a nutrition perspective, moderately increase your carb and water intake from Friday.

Start slow and try ride a negative split (faster 2nd half)