Going from 96km K2C to 147KM trans Xhariep

HI Guys

I suppose i know the problem is a mental one.

I have have always been a slow rider and every year sets my target at 5000 kilometers for the year.

This year i just might make it.

I have done K2C (for the 5th time) this year . Still slow 7:30 but comfortable.

I have done my first ever sub 4 100km road ride during the last 10 days.

Current (in a perfect world) training regime.

Some sort of Zwift plan during the week, Currently Grand Fondo.

A longish ride weekends 60km or about 3 hours.

A timetrial effort of about 20km on the other day of the weekend.

A functional Gym session. very much core based

A mobility gym session. Light Core and more assisted stretching

So the question? How do i bridge that gap and feel less scared shitless about going 150km on a mtb (or any bike)

Regards 

Paul

*If it scares and excites you at the same time you should probably do it 

Proposed (in a perfect world) training regime.

A longish ride on Saturday of  100km or about 4-5 hours.

Another longish ride of 80-100km or 4-6 hours on Sunday. Add 10km to your long ride every week until you can do the required distance without being dead.

So the question? How do i bridge that gap and feel less scared shitless about going 150km on a mtb (or any bike) Do the above and you will be fine - as they said, just do it.

HI Guys

I have have always been a slow rider and every year sets my target at 5000 kilometers for the year.

So the question? How do i bridge that gap and feel less scared shitless about going 150km on a mtb (or any bike)

Regards 

Paul

I'm in for the full Xhariep.

I'm slow.

my training program is basically

30-40min foam rolling and stretching (which includes some core and leg work) 3 times a week.

3 interval sessions during the week 60-90 min, similar sessions to the fondo on zwift

Saturday = group ride 4-6 hours (Z2 with the normal "group sprints & climbs"

Sunday = Z2 with some hills or singletrack

for rides over 120km nutrition and hydration is very important and you must train and find your "sweet spot" in this regard.

also after 120km everything will hurt and you will be tired, make peace with that, suck it up and turn the pedals (but don't be stupid, listen to your body and don't expect miracles overnight)

HI Guys

Regards 

Paul

find a friend, plot a route, load a few steers burgers in your camelbak with plenty of fluid or planned drink stops, start early and enjoy the ride...................

Don't over think it just go enjoy the ride. If you can rike 100kmk you can ride 150

Mailman, two things that you will need to wrap your mind around.

1. Dont change what you hydrate and use for nutrition. |

Use the same food and same drink that you use for normal rides. The only difference is you will be on a bike for longer. So dont buy into this idea that you need more food before the race of whatever. Just stick to your normal eating and drinking routine for the entire route.

2. Go to gym.

147km is not far - but rather a long time. You will be on your seat for longer, you will be holding onto the bars for longer, you will be putting pressure on you shoulders for longer, your back from leaning forward will take strain.

From the sounds of things you are fit enough to finish, just work on your upper body strength for the endurance aspect. Work on your core. Planks and more planks. Most of the guys posting on a thread like this and on the Munga, 360one etc will tell you. It is not always the legs that give in - but rather hands or shoulders or back etc.

Some good responses already, especially Slowbee's point about gym.

To add my 2c, you can definitely do this! I am (or was, I'm worse now it seems...) in about the same boat.  Two years ago when I decided to do Trans Baviaans, I had only one very slow K2C under the belt plus a few 109km road "tours".

So what I focused on was:

- more strength training and more bike-specific exercises (CORE, legs, arms, short sessions, 4x week)

- building up the longer weekend rides with a group MUCH faster than me, up to a max of 8 hours (130km, time off the bike included) and average of about 5-6 hours (90km), with lots of long, slow hills (about 3-4 months of this)

- more intense hill training in the week (hill climb TT and intervals)

- some "running" (troggling with dogs, trail walking/jogging)

for me, nutrition was a BIG issue... I found the usual stuff didn't make it as I'd run out of steam about half-way.  What did work for me in the end was Hammer Perpetuem, mixed like porridge, to drink a bit every 15 to 20 minutes, followed by plain water.  And snacks like biltong, dates, nuts, baby potatoes with salt/marmite at stops every 2 hours or so. (Cramps are always my issue, and strike at random!)

On a 7-8 hour ride (or longer) you have to get the energy in from the beginning.  It's also important for proper recovery for the next week.

Which is the other factor I struggled with as I was riding (and training) with a team much faster than me.  Adapt your training in the week according to how you feel, so that you are ready for the long ride if that is your priority training ride.

So, ramp up your longer rides, make them as race-specific as you can in your training especially in the last month.  Also, see how the energy levels go and if your current nutrition works for that too.  Mine didn't and presented a steep learning curve.  Get that right and you will fly!

You don't have to be fast, you just have to keep moving forward.

Sounds like you're well on track!

The long rides are the best.

Enjoy  :)

• 2 months later...