Tell me more about Crankbrothers pedals

Joe Soap

I've been riding with Shimano pedals the last couple of years just because that was what was on the bike when I bought it.

Recently I've been asking myself WHY?

I don't have a real problem with the SPD pedals, I'm just curious what it would be like to ride with pedals that allows a bit more movement on the bike (assumption on my side).

Is there anyone that moved from Shimano SPD pedals to Crankbrothers Eggbeater/Candy pedals that would like to share their experience?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i did the move, worst decision i ever made, CrapBrothers lasted less than 6 months, bearings seized and left me walking on the trails 10km from my car.

Stay with Shitmano on MTB, as much as i think they make junk components in terms of cycling, one thing is for sure their SPD's and shoes are bullet proof. Been riding mine for 5 years never been serviced or lubed and still going like the day i bought them 

Yes i did the move, worst decision i ever made, CrapBrothers lasted less than 6 months, bearings seized and left me walking on the trails 10km from my car.

LOL!!!!!

"I'D WALK BEFORE I RIDE SHITMANO"

(Thanks for your input)

even though you said it straight out, this is still funny!post-1830-0-44589400-1542096615_thumb.png

I've been riding with Shimano pedals the last couple of years just because that was what was on the bike when I bought it.

Recently I've been asking myself WHY?

I don't have a real problem with the SPD pedals, I'm just curious what it would be like to ride with pedals that allows a bit more movement on the bike (assumption on my side).

Is there anyone that moved from Shimano SPD pedals to Crankbrothers Eggbeater/Candy pedals that would like to share their experience?

I moved from shimano to CB about 10 years ago.

still got candies on all my bikes. even on roadbike till recently.

They do need actual maintenance. whereas SPD you can just really fit and forget

the maintenance is not hard, just open up and regrease every 6months/year. but you need to do it.

I find the brass cleats wear through quickly, but then i do quite a bit of hike a bike.

Why I won't go back to shimano, I just prefer the feel of riding with CB. There isn't the metal on metal scraping you get from SPD, and almost like fingernails on a blackboard it got my back up.

but that's a very personal issue, there's a reason why ~90% of mtb use SPD there's nothing wrong with them. it also means you normally don't need to change pedals to ride someone elses bike now and then.

I've been riding the same pair of Eggbeaters on my bike since 2005. I've never replaced a bearing, only ever removed & serviced once a season, super easy to do with no special tools required :thumbup:

Edited by Buff_SA

Crank Bros Eggbeaters and Candy have been around a long time. The latest version is much more reliable from a bearing wear perspective and the  float and mud clearance is 2nd to  none.

They offer a three bolt cleat for use with road shoes so you can use hte same pedal on a road bike as well as a MTB.

They're light and if properly maintained last forever. I stil have three sets of Eggbeater 3Ti that are over 10 years old and still working well.

Not all Shimano SPD pedals are created equal. The best of the lot was the M970 XTR pedal. Then they lost the plot trying to be clever. The mecahanism stil jams up in mud and foot stability is a problem because the body of the pedal is too thin.

Crank Bros Eggbeater/Candy or TIME A.T.A.C take the wins for me

Doing the very muddy, very wet race at Magoebaskloof two weekends ago I chuckled at people frantically using rocks, sticks, fingers etc. trying to remove the mud from their cleats so they can clip in.

Love my eggbeaters - does not matter how muddy your shoes and cleats are you just clip in !!

Because I have bike problems, I have ended up with XTR, crank bros 11 (bought purely because they are the lightest, and the Look X track on my mountain bikes. They all work, I just like the Look ones more because the base makes long rides comfortable.  I now have 2 pairs of shoes because of the weight weenie bike with eggbeaters.  My only issue with the eggbeaters is that the extra movement when cleated hurts my knee - google has given me ways to sort this

I have ridden both, I have currently gone for egg beaters to shimano for the pure reason of being able to use my mtb shoes at the gym/watt bike class...I miss the float from the egg beaters and will probably go back to having 2 pair of shoes, egg beaters for the bike and spd for indoor sessions.

if you buy the cheaper version of the egg beaters I believe you experience issue, I have bought the 2nd from top and ridden them for years, minor maintenance every 18 months or so

Started clip life on 505's. Had endless issues with engaging in muddy conditions so I bought some Candy's. Way too much float for my liking. Felt like I wasn't connected to the bike. Gave them to a mate and bought a set of 520's. Never looked back. 

A few years ago I got rid of my ballet shoes and bought a pair of Shimano AM45's which didn't work with the 520's (too much flex in the sole) so I bought a pair of DX's. Same as the 520/540 but with a cage. Couldn't be happier!

I won't go back to eggbeaters or Candy's.

It's a personal thing at the end of the day. Either you like them or you don't.

I have ridden both, I have currently gone for egg beaters to shimano for the pure reason of being able to use my mtb shoes at the gym/watt bike class...I miss the float from the egg beaters and will probably go back to having 2 pair of shoes, egg beaters for the bike and spd for indoor sessions.

if you buy the cheaper version of the egg beaters I believe you experience issue, I have bought the 2nd from top and ridden them for years, minor maintenance every 18 months or so

Just realized that the Wattbikes has SPD pedals so 2nd pair of shoes are in order then.

Starting to become a expensive experiment...

I have eggbeaters. From a design point of view it is a good concept. 

I like:

1. Predictive float and release position
  2. Ease to clip in
  3. No maintenance on the clip mechanism
  4. Four positions to clip in

I don't like:

1. Spongy feeling when clipped in
  2. Bearing maintenance
  3. Very small contact area
  4. Damages shoe around cleat (even with shoe saver)
  5. Can't repair the clip mechanism (I broke one)

I like the pedals, but Shimanos have better shoe / pedal interface and feels more secure.