Tell me more about Crankbrothers pedals

Joe Soap

Yeah, i mean if you like changing pedals or servicing them every 5 minutes by all means...

I believe in Shimano or S-Tracks only...

S-Tracks are now basically SPD’s. Except they use fancy words and terms.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather look in the direction of time pedals rather than crankbrothers

That said, I prefer the older generation time pedals. Been on time pedals for the past 18yrs

Edited by Matchstix

This is a religious debate,

FWIW I have now twice fitted Crank Brothers to my bikes and have then twice taken them off and re-fitted Shimano SPD's.  I have done this now for the last time.

SPD's are fit and forget.

Crank Brothers require maintenance. Candy's, Egg Beaters etc. Bearings and grease - always an issue. Cleats are Cranky, and the butterfly mechanism will destroy your carbon shoes if you don't fit the guards, whereas you don't get any of these sort of hassles with Shimano.

Engagement on Shimano is a lot more positive and release etc is also - it requires clear effort, whereas Cranks you can get in and out of easier, however they can also release involuntarily when you don't want them to if they are a little worn whereas Shimano has never given me those issues

If you want some Crank Bros pedals i have a set of Egg Beaters 2's I have a set to sell you. Also have some Times which were a lot better but eventually wore out.

Shimano FTW. And don't buy the XTR version as that is very prone to failure as well (look for some of the posts). 

why do people have problems with maintenance? SPD pedals also need maintenance or they will break.

Ever tried removing a pivot bearing from a Santa Cruz Tall Boy because the bearings are never removed for relubing?

They don't come out

SPD pedals that are not maintained you throw in the bin. And it happens often if you ride a lot

My 520's that used to be on my MTB's (was on a couple of bikes) and has been on my commuter now for a few years must have at least 40 000km on the clock and are still smooth and play free. They only had on clean and grease a few years back when Action Cycles were still in play as Devon said, should I service your pedals too, and I said why not.

I have two pairs of Crank Brothers come off the axle and a friend who had the same issue when we were on a ride out.

THE BEST THING ABOUT SHIMANO PEDALS ARE THAT YOU CAN USE THEM TO OPEN UP A BEER, THIS PROVES INVALUABLE ON OUR BEER RIDE FRIDAY'S WHERE I GET TO OPEN EVERYONE'S BEERS USING MY PEDALS ..... a great trick when someone see's it for the first time :)

More to do with local support than anything else. Spares are available, just not in SA.

Been running CB Mallets on 4 bikes (2 DH, 2 AM) between me and the wife for 5 years...never had a issue.

I'm not emotional about Crank Brothers...Shimano just don't have any offering that compares to the Mallets.

I had XT and XTR "trail" pedals (if you can call it that) for years, loved them, but the CB cleat engagement somehow just feels better. Another major plus on the Mallets are the platform size, you can start on a seriously sketchy trail without clipping in...nothing in the Shimano range offers that. ( I have not tried Nuke Proof etc.)

If I had a XC bike I would probably be running Shimano's, I never liked the Egg beaters.

So IMO: AM and DH - CB Mallets.  Trail and XC - Shimano. 

But in all honesty:  FLATS FOR THE WIN!!!

Ah, but Shimano or Crank Brothers flats?

Chromag Contacts ....love at first sight. I did not even have to install them. Just sitting there in the box. :D

I have these on my DJ. Probably the best bike "bit" ever, ever, ever... 

I'll sleep with them on my pillow if my wife allowed me.....

Nino rides Ritchey spd pedals, but his foot came out in that sprint, but that is a ok because I think the Ritchey is the lightest spd pedal. This means I can open my beer after my foot comes out the pedal in the sprint.

Ah, but Shimano or Crank Brothers flats?

Saint and Stamp? I prefer fire eyes over saints. Would love syntace but those are a bit rich for me Edited by Patensie

I love my egg beaters, especially when it rains and is muddy.

As for the higher maintenance I think there is a disease, but before big events I like to take my bike apart, service the hubs, grease up all the bearings, service the pedals, replace cables etc. It is so soothing and relaxing and a great way to use the time when you tapering.

My base model egg beaters are now 5 years old and never seized a bearing...