Self-sustained Enduro

Behan

So I've been thinking lately...

How cool would it be to pack a backpack with everything you need to survive (camping gear, clothes, food, etc.), head to the mountains, jump on a bike and complete a 3 - 5 day route while only camping next to your bike wherever the sun sets.

I've done a few similar trips on motorcycles, but never on a mountain bike.

Having spent quite a lot of time in Lesotho, it seems like an ideal place for something like this on a 140-160mm enduro bike.

Is this a thing in the MTB world?

Has anyone here done something like this, or would like to?

If you have, please share the story..

Edited by InSearchOfStories

So I've been thinking lately...

How cool would it be to pack a backpack with everything you need to survive (camping gear, clothes, food, etc.), head to the mountains, jump on a bike and complete a 3 - 5 day route while only camping next to your bike wherever the sun sets.

I've done a few similar trips on motorcycles, but never on a mountain bike.

Having spent quite a lot of time in Lesotho, it seems like an ideal place for something like this on a 140-160mm enduro bike.

Has anyone here done something like this, or would like to?

If you have, please share the story, or any advice you may have..

Lesotho is mtb heaven.

Get hold of the guys who do Lesotho Sky, Darol Howes and tjommies. They have been exploring Lesotho for years and have a permanent base in Roma. Also avid enduro dudes and I believe they have an enduro event as well as Lesotho Sky. I am sure they would be willing to give you advice, and I am think they offer guided rides/tours from their Roma base. Maybe do something like that, chat a bit with them and then plan from there?

so touring , not enduro

How do i get hold of you, i would to do some work on your EnduroTimer please, with your permission of course

Lesotho is mtb heaven.

Get hold of the guys who do Lesotho Sky, Darol Howes and tjommies. They have been exploring Lesotho for years and have a permanent base in Roma. Also avid enduro dudes and I believe they have an enduro event as well as Lesotho Sky. I am sure they would be willing to give you advice, and I am think they offer guided rides/tours from their Roma base. Maybe do something like that, chat a bit with them and then plan from there?

Thanks! I know that area quite well from riding dirt bikes, and was wondering who took over the Roma Trading Post from the Thorne's, I'll get in touch with the new guys. 

so touring , not enduro

I meant enduro in the sense that the terrain leans to the more technical/downhill side of things, where short-travel bikes don't work, like the racing format minus the timing or special stages.

Although you could make a proper event out of it if you like...

I'm actually just trying to find out if people often do this sort of thing.

I'm actually just trying to find out if people often do this sort of thing.

There are definitely people doing this sort of thing. I have a couple of trips in mind. Just need to make time for them.

If you need inspiration:

Lesotho is mtb heaven.

Seconded

They organised this:

Sky is 6 days in September, Kingdom Enduro is 3 days in March.

Every time I go there, I come away with a new perspective on life and biking.

(they still do dirt bikes.  get stuck in mud up to the fuel tank)

There are definitely people doing this sort of thing. I have a couple of trips in mind. Just need to make time for them.

If you need inspiration:

Those videos are epic, exactly what I had in mind.. Thanks!

Seconded

They organised this:

I've been riding enduro (motorcycle) in Lesotho for years, but have never seen mountain bikers around there and only heard stories of the Lesotho Sky..

This video is an awesome surprise! I think it would be a completely different experience on a mountain bike, and going further than what the fuel range of a dirt bike would allow for.

Will definitely make something happen!

I've been riding enduro (motorcycle) in Lesotho for years, done a few Roof of Africas, but have never seen mountain bikers around there and only heard stories of the Lesotho Sky..

This video is an awesome surprise! I think it would be a completely different experience on a mountain bike, and going further than what the fuel range of a dirt bike would allow for.

Will definitely make something happen!

Here's the enduro counterpart of Lesotho Sky:

https://kingdomenduro.com/

Seconded

They organised this: https://vimeo.com/216472359

Did Sky last year, in terms of rebooting myself it was the best holiday I ever had.

• 8 months later...

Those videos are epic, exactly what I had in mind.. Thanks!

Have you done or found any trips? I'm seeing lots of posts about routes guys are doing, but they're all grinding away on dirt roads between towns so not quite what I'm looking for.