Thoughts on buying a Banger

kerradoh

Hi, Im just another Noob trying to wrap my head buying my 1st duel suspension bike.

I havent ridden off tar since I pointed my camo coloured avalanche 21sp down the wrong side of a non existant Rhodes Memorial track over 20 years ago... (ye, it didnt end well)

Im older and wiser and "fuller" these days, and really want to get back out there. Im your average joe, have a mrs, 2 kids under 10, and the usual business commitments, so i'll be a weekend warrior to start out.

Ive dug pretty deep into the google, learnt all sorts of new fancy words and terminology, some of them even about mountain biking ;)

Here's where im getting stuck.

Say i have a budget of about 30-35k, I have some options in terms of new bikes, Silverback Sido, Giant Anthem, Scott 9 something, Trek, Cannondale, ect, and I do really like the look of most of those bikes, and from what I can gather I am looking at the entry level side of things, but there is also the option of some really nice 2nd hand bikes.. There really is a lot of choice out there, which makes it a difficult purchasing decision, because surely you actually have to have spent some time in the saddle to figure out what you like.

Is there a case to be made for saying, ok, Im going to find whatever bike I can for 10-15k (second hand) spend some time with it, and then make a more informed decision when that time comes, taking into account I will probably have to/want to spend another 10-15k fixing/upgrading said second hander over the course of ownership, which takes you more or less back into the original budget bracket.

Also, black friday is looming not to far away, and maybe there will be some crazy specials going on to compound the issue?

I would really appreciate your thoughts and input on this life changing decision:)

Thanks,

When buying 2hnd full suspension just never forget that a drivetrain is a consumable and similarly the suspension can be likewise, so make sure they have been looked after and make 100% sure you are aware of the remaining life in them. Also check the frame literally with a magnifying glass to check for cracks.

Guys love selling "high end" bikes with trashed drivetrain and suspension, you end up paying a mint for what is basically a worn frame and a few build components and they'll still have the audacity to say you are getting a bargain because new it was R##K...

Buying second hand is great you get some real nice deals in the market and could get a great bike, but you get some dog dirt ones as well if you don't know much about bikes take a friend who knows or ask to have the bike inspected by a local bike shop.

Secondly buying dual suspension I would say starting at a minimum of R15k less than that you are going to struggle to get something wat nie deur die gat getrek is nie and it's most likely to cost you a lot more.

I would say R15-R25k very good budget in which you can find a great bike and deal.

Best of luck it's always great fun hunting for a "new" ride.

Hi Kerradoh. Where do you live and where would you be riding most of the time? That will narrow down the kind of riding and give a clearer picture of what bike to get. More trail orientated, more marathon or gravel grinding?

When buying 2hnd full suspension just never forget that a drivetrain is a consumable and similarly the suspension can be likewise, so make sure they have been looked after and make 100% sure you are aware of the remaining life in them. Also check the frame literally with a magnifying glass to check for cracks.

Guys love selling "high end" bikes with trashed drivetrain and suspension, you end up paying a mint for what is basically a worn frame and a few build components and they'll still have the audacity to say you are getting a bargain because new it was R##K...

Thanks, good point

Buying second hand is great you get some real nice deals in the market and could get a great bike, but you get some dog dirt ones as well if you don't know much about bikes take a friend who knows or ask to have the bike inspected by a local bike shop.

Secondly buying dual suspension I would say starting at a minimum of R15k less than that you are going to struggle to get something wat nie deur die gat getrek is nie and it's most likely to cost you a lot more.

I would say R15-R25k very good budget in which you can find a great bike and deal.

Best of luck it's always great fun hunting for a "new" ride.

So its a bit like buying a 2nd hand GTI then, you just know the previous owner wasnt a " older lady driver with marks on the rear seat from a baby chair" haha

Hi Kerradoh. Where do you live and where would you be riding most of the time? That will narrow down the kind of riding and give a clearer picture of what bike to get. More trail orientated, more marathon or gravel grinding?

Hi DJR, Live Southern SuburbsCape Town, and I guess it will be a bit of everything? Pack bike for wherever the away weekend destination is, ride on the road to get to Tokia/Newlands/Kirstenbosch/ ect? I really am not to clear about this at the moment

Trek Fuel, Giant Trance (new one), spaz stumpjumper st or camber and Scott Spark should be your top picks, in my opinion. ~120mm travel, relatively slack head angle and not bikes that are designed solely to race on. That is to say, they're far more forgiving, easier to ride hard and you can go all day on them. They're also not skittish like an xc race bike would ordinarily be.

Edited by Cptmayhem