Winter riding in Vancouver

Bos

So at this stage it looks like I'm flying over to BC mid December to check goods on arrival at the port of Vancouver. 

Besides that this is not an Ideal time to be away from my family, I figure if I'm going to spend a week there I'd want to make it one to remember since Its well, The BC! I might never get to go back there to shred some loam. 

Has anyone been there in the winter? Do any good bike parks operate during winter? Is there even riding? or should I just go snowboarding? 

Its fairly safe to say there is no chance of shredding loam in December in BC! maybe shredding some snow. 

Fat bike could be fun otherwise snowboarding is high on my to-do list.

That sucks. I don't mind snowboarding Its just that If one goes there, one would want to ride. I was just hoping I could rent a bike or get a demo and ride some of the legendary trails in the area and experience the forests. Surely it doesn't snow on the Island?

So at this stage it looks like I'm flying over to BC mid December to check goods on arrival at the port of Vancouver. 

Besides that this is not an Ideal time to be away from my family, I figure if I'm going to spend a week there I'd want to make it one to remember since Its well, The BC! I might never get to go back there to shred some loam. 

Has anyone been there in the winter? Do any good bike parks operate during winter? Is there even riding? or should I just go snowboarding? 

from my experience from a winter serving burgers on blackcomb mountain, the lower trails in the whistler valley only start becoming rideable march/april. you might be a bit lucky if the snow is late and there isn't much base before then. there's also bound to be biking/ski shops selling stock cheep cheep as they need space for snow gear

BUT van might be slightly different, the snow is really wet snow, it dumps a lot but recedes quickly.

but the people to speak to are, 

https://www.mountainbikingbc.ca/vancouver-coast-mountains/north-shore/

Probeer dalk die vraag op Pinkbike vra, dit hulle geweste daai. Glo nie Whistler sal doenbaar in winter wees nie, die Bikepark was al middel Okt/Sept toe gewees.

Ek het nog 'n kennis in Squamish, sal bietjie by hom ook hoor. Laer af en op Vancouver eiland behoort daar nog plekke oop te wees, Vancouver self kry nie so baie sneeu nie.

Hou jou op hoogte.

That sucks. I don't mind snowboarding Its just that If one goes there, one would want to ride. I was just hoping I could rent a bike or get a demo and ride some of the legendary trails in the area and experience the forests. Surely it doesn't snow on the Island?

Edited by hansolo

now i'm getting jealous!

it rains a *** load in vancouver during winter.

they have three ski hills/centres in the town itself.

even on the island (totally different place) they have skiing

the one thing I can guarantee, is that you're too late to get a booking to go curling

Probeer dalk die vraag op Pinkbike vra, dit hulle geweste daai. Glo nie Whistler sal doenbaar in winter wees nie, die Bikepark was al middel Okt/Sept toe gewees.

Ek het nog 'n kennis in Squamish, sal bietjie by hom ook hoor. Laer af en op Vancouver eiland behoort daar nog plekke oop te wees, Vancouver self kry nie so baie sneeu nie.

Hou jou op hoogte.

Yes, Ek het ook daai gedoen. 

Die Obvious spots soos Whistler is lankal toe, maar daar is baie bikeparks, en volgens google is daar bikeparks nader aan die kus wat tans oop is. 

Sal maar moet kyk.

HI Bos, We were there last December in BC but in Victoria, or actualy about 40 Km from Victoria. We managed to get 3 rides in during the duration of our vacation.

Locals would go out and ride in the snow or rain from what ive seen and heard when we were there.

Nah you going to have white stuff up to your elbows. Slopes normally open in November so December is pretty good skiing. Cool place though - make sure you go to the food markets on Granville Island. 

MTB Parks shut normally latest mid October. Guys at the mTB shops will look at you funny. If there are local (non slope) trails around the place that you could ride they are wet and very slippery and muddy.

Get a snowboard and head to Whistler or Grouse Mountain if local