Yesterday I attmpted my second 94.7 Cycle Challenge and tried the weirdest Nutritional Supplement.

A friend of mine gave me three boiled baby potatoes and said I should have them instead of Chocs or race food.

The funny thing is... It was awesome.

What are your thoughts? or weird and wonderful ride nutrition

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, based upon what I read potatoes are not really low GI – sweet potatoes are though. I started doing a bit of reading about this yesterday. I can't eat these energy bars – they all make me feel sick on a hot day with a long ride. The sugar I suppose. So I tend to pretty much ride on whatever I had for breakfast. Which means that by the end of the ride I'm pretty much flat out of energy. At about the 80 km mark on the 94.7 yesterday, I went past the tent of the Honorary Rangers and thought "Wait, what?" and turned around and found that they were serving boiled potatoes. So I grabbed a few, knocked them down quickly and I found that I pretty quickly had a decent little energy burst. So I started reading yesterday evening. Potatoes are great but they are actually pretty high GI. It looks like sweet potatoes may be a better option. Also, it seems like lentils are right up there with positive options. Apparently with the potatoes and sweet potatoes, it's a good idea to remove the skins first after cooking them but before eating them on the ride. So I'm going to give all three of these a try – potatoes, sweet potatoes and lentils. Will let you guys know what I think but would be interested to hear feedback from other riders as well.

On a trail run over 30k OR a MTB trail ride over 60k I always have a spud or two in my pack...sweet potatoe is even better....

Snap...

Not weird or wonderful...

Just low Gi and natural...  the way to go....

Low GI? Don't think so

Actually, based upon what I read potatoes are not really low GI – sweet potatoes are though. I started doing a bit of reading about this yesterday. I can't eat these energy bars – they all make me feel sick on a hot day with a long ride. The sugar I suppose. So I tend to pretty much ride on whatever I had for breakfast. Which means that by the end of the ride I'm pretty much flat out of energy. At about the 80 km mark on the 94.7 yesterday, I went past the tent of the Honorary Rangers and thought "Wait, what?" and turned around and found that they were serving boiled potatoes. So I grabbed a few, knocked them down quickly and I found that I pretty quickly had a decent little energy burst. So I started reading yesterday evening. Potatoes are great but they are actually pretty high GI. It looks like sweet potatoes may be a better option. Also, it seems like lentils are right up there with positive options. Apparently with the potatoes and sweet potatoes, it's a good idea to remove the skins first after cooking them but before eating them on the ride. So I'm going to give all three of these a try – potatoes, sweet potatoes and lentils. Will let you guys know what I think but would be interested to hear feedback from other riders as well.

Leave the skin on the sweet spud...put in a plastic shopping bag and microwave for 5 or so minutes....let it cool off untill its room temp and then before you leave ...cut into bite size chunks and wrap each one up in a bit of tinfoil....when you ready to eat , they are slightly warmish and VERY tasty!!

Try boiled eggs too, I've used the boiled eggs and potatoes on long rides and it works for me. 

Good luck to anyone who's ridden behind me after those eggs were digested! 

The best part about picking up potatoes from tables is the hit of salt they're usually covered in  (although I'm sure you could do this with a small bag in your pocket too). It can sometimes be just what you need depending on the day.

ONLY energy type bars I use are Racefoods Farbars and Fastbars.....all the others are far too sweet....and I also cut up apple...orange...I also find guava is fantastic...bananas go without saying...and when I can find them I buy those pre mixed nutty trail mixes at Spar....

So I've been trying to wrap my head around this for quite some time.

Cooked baby potatoes in a zip-lock bag with some salt or in tinfoil in your back pocket?

I prefer riding with full finger gloves. 

How functional is it to eat these bad boys while riding?

Or is the idea to stop and eat?

So I've been trying to wrap my head around this for quite some time.

Cooked baby potatoes in a zip-lock bag with some salt or in tinfoil in your back pocket?

I prefer riding with full finger gloves. 

How functional is it to eat these bad boys while riding?

Or is the idea to stop and eat?

Keep them in tinfoil...