Momsen MUNGA - Drop Bar VIPA ULTRA

TheJ

https://bikerumor.com/2018/11/19/momsen-builds-a-special-bike-for-munga-full-suspension-drop-bar-vipa-ultra/

Anyone who has been on the bike through the 90's would immediatelly appreciate the throwback, especially if

you knew the man that designed it's own long standing appreciation for the influence a certain Mr. Johnny T had on our sport.

My opinion is that this bike is the best of everything you could need for something like the Munga. Dual sus. Aero features. LITRES of drink storage and tons of onboard storage as well.

Planned by Victor Momsen and assembled by Robbie Powell and his team who is a legend in his own right.

Sho... This bike gives me... feelings. Unsure how something so modern can unearth that "old school" feeling as well at the same time.

Momsen-Vipa-Ultra-drop-bar-full-suspensi

Momsen-Vipa-Ultra-drop-bar-full-suspensi

http://thebodymechanic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/MTB3.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek:  :wacko:

explain the dropper post!!!????

Was about to ask the same...

That's the way things are going I guess. The Munga isn't all just flats and uphills. No problem with swopping out the dropper for a fixed post I'm sure. I think The Momsen guys were trying to cover all the possibilities, and that's understandable given the Munga's vast distance to cover.

makes it easier to get on or off the bike with tired legs and a sore ass

This is the only sensible reason.

Drop bars on a full sus is just not cricket. go full gravel bike or full duely. 

#castersemenya would like this 

The only real problem is the lack of  Tri bar arm supports when in the tri bar position. With all the hours spent pedalling you need to support your back and you are also resting your upper body. You spend hours in that position.

No need for dropper.

Great bottle holder at the bottom and the storage idea is great.

Saw this at the Cycle Challenge Expo... very sexy piece of machinery   :thumbup:

I must say though, I also don't get the dropper though.

The only real problem is the lack of  Tri bar arm supports when in the tri bar position. With all the hours spent pedalling you need to support your back and you are also resting your upper body. You spend hours in that position.

No need for dropper.

Great bottle holder at the bottom and the storage idea is great.

Just wonder if that chuncky tires will scrape your bottle. 

Go skinny tires to go fast. saw the Pro's do it at the race to the sun.

Looks like the perfect build for ultra endurance races. I would get rid of the dropper and add an additional water bottle cage on the seat post though - I know 2 bottles was not enough for me at 36One, and that was with water points every 30km or so - it gets hot in the Karoo!

That's a serious gravel monster!

Nice collaboration with Farr Components.

all belong to the same stable

That's a serious gravel monster!

Nice collaboration with Farr Components.

all belong to the same stable

what did i miss something?

Momsen = Farr

So who's going to be riding this bad boy? let the speculation begin.

any momsen related riders on the startlist

storage space top tube..way TOOOOO small

you need a fuel tank there

http://www.bikepacking.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/bikepacking-top-tube-bags-22.jpg

but i suppose you could put some out the way backup stuff there, but you'd need to take the bag off.

i know there's corrugations

if i did Munga, i'd go hardtail.

and load it up like this

(sans sleeping kit)

http://www.bikepacking.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Tour-Divide-Rigs-2018-Thomas-Woods-1-2000x1334.jpg

maybe put on a thudbuster seatpost