Duty/VAT question

Nicklemeister

Hi, I'm South African, my girlfriend Australian, living in Bali, Indonesia. We recently purchased a couple of locally-made MTBs. The brand is Polygon. They're surprisingly decent bikes. We're coming back to Cape Town soon for 3 months and, ideally, would like to bring the bikes with us on the plane to use while we're there. Can anyone enlighten me as to what, if any, duty/vat implications there are for doing this? The alternative is to buy while we are there but we would much prefer to bring our own bikes,

Thanks

Nick

Pretty sure that if you bring it in as checked luggage, sports goods, you will have no hassle - If any questions are asked tell them they are second hand and worth less than R5000 - your girlfriend would have no hassles as a non resident and I seriously doubt you will encounter any hassles

There will be no duty/vat implications. You are bringing sports equipment on holiday with you, not importing items into SA from overseas.

Just leave a bit of dirt on the bikes so if they are opened/inspected you can reasonably argue they have been in your possession for a while.

You are also here on holiday, so I'm assuming you have return flights booked? That should be enough to convince anyone it's a holiday - thus just stuff you are bringing on holiday with you.

If it's an obviously used item, and part of your checked luggage on a return ticket, you won't have any hassles with customs. I'd be willing to bet they won't even open the box.