black friday... buying a drone

rudi-h

I bought refurb unit from droneworld.Im happy for the price i paid.No problems and buying from Droneworld was a pleasure

Thanks!

May I ask which model you bought and if you reckon i'm on the right track with the mavic pro platinum?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do NOT need a licence for recreational use. So long as you don't behave like an idiot (flying close to people / spying on the neighbour's wife at the pool / flying too close to an airport) you will be fine.

I have flown my drones for years in the Midrand area, and never had a single issue, even with Grand Central airport being in the vicinity.

I keep my drones line of sight at all times, below 400ft, and if I hear a small plane or helicopter anywhere nearby, I land it until they are gone. It's not difficult to enjoy the hobby without endangering or pissing off other people.

Wrt SA prices, we are being reamed. I have bought all my drones off ebay from US suppliers, paid Fedex their $80-$90, paid SA customs their VAT, and always landed it much cheaper than local suppliers. Takes a few days longer, a bit more effort, but works out fine for me. If however you are one of those people who needs to see and touch before buying, and have the salesman assure you that you have a no-question warrranty, then pay local prices. 

Wrt the Mavic Platinum, great drone but now "obsolete" since the release of the Mavic Pro 2. So long as you don't mind flying an older drone, it will do everything you want it to do, and more. A huge bonus on the Platinum is that it is one of the quietest drones available, and even if that doesn't seem an important feature to you now, trust me, you will be very glad to have the reduced noise, once you actually fly it.

Thanks!

May I ask which model you bought and if you reckon i'm on the right track with the mavic pro platinum?

Went for the spark only because it was in my price range,would've gone for the Mavic.The Mavic Air is the newest in the range afaik.But check out Casey Neistat on Youtube he does a few reviews on Dji's.It all depends on what you want to do with it.

Im also in the market for a drone. But purely for fun, and spying on my neighborhood. The Bugs2 and Mavic pro is on my short lis. Will see what pops up on Friday.

I had a phantom p4 sold it few months ago

only reason for selling was because of the size and moving it around etc

I was looking to get the Mavic Air,camera is good and newer features compared to the P4

but main thing is its so easy to move around

March/April I was in Thailand/Bangkok and on some boat trips I didn't even bother taking the drone bag etc

so kinda missed out taking some awesome footage :devil:

Others just took out this little pouch and got in all the beauty

Mavic Air- or Pro / Spark  can do the job for a person just doing basic things

The drone hobby is a Black Hole

Be warned

care to say why?  assuming you're talking about a financial black hole, I thought you buy the "flymore" pack with batteries and props and chargers and then the spend stops...?  what "running costs" are there that I don't know of?

Droneworld for me, they gave me GREAT service,

and i went with the Mavic Air, what a cool little drone and it can do all that i need.

Kind Regards  

I bought refurb unit from droneworld.Im happy for the price i paid.No problems and buying from Droneworld was a pleasure

Got a refurb Mavic Pro direct from DJI downtown Cape Town...no issues....if you can afford, try get the Mavic 2 Pro/zoom purely because of the gimbal design...biggest weakness of the original version...went through a number of gimbal ribbon cables before mastering flight.

this thread has black friday in the title,  so howcome it doesn't get nonsensically merged with the other black friday thread too?

Did someone steal your porridge again?

Check out www.flyingrobot.co

We share some warehouse space with them and they have some cool Black Friday deals lined up.

And Alan also hosts drone racing events. He's of to China soon heading up the SA team at some World Champs or something. My go to guy for drones

Got a refurb Mavic Pro direct from DJI downtown Cape Town...no issues....if you can afford, try get the Mavic 2 Pro/zoom purely because of the gimbal design...biggest weakness of the original version...went through a number of gimbal ribbon cables before mastering flight.

Thanks for the info.  Do you have contact details for DJI drowntown in CT?  A google search only links to a .com site which is an international outfit.

How big issue is the gimbal design on the mavic pro?  And what was the reason for damaging the ribbon cables?  The Mavic 2 is literally double the price and from my understanding the improvements are mostly related to the camera and object tracking.  Neither things that I need to be top notch.

We did some drone tracking & filming with a local blogger coming back from Robbin Island in a private speedboat a while back and the *** that was stirred up by that was incredible before we even got back. We had aviation guys questioning us, SAPS came for a talk when we landed the harbour. We ended up palming it off saying it was a 3rd party production company from France and didn't know the regulations. 

You need a licence to fly them now. It's expensive and takes almost a week to get

You don't need a license ... only for commercial purposes... to spy on you neighbor you don't need a license.