Darius

Hi everyone

Some person tried to scam me via PayPal to buy my bike I'm selling. Be careful! They probably got hold of me after seeing the add on Junkmail or something.

If you are selling something and using PayPal. You have to arrange the shipping or you will not be eligible for seller protection.

The person has multiple Gmail accounts and uses this IP: 209.85.220.41

It is a mail server in Hawaii. Its supposedly been used for other types of scams as well.

Read and understand your PayPal account terms and conditions or you could get scammed.

Regards

Edited by Darius

If the server is in hawaii hes probably using just a vpn from here in sa. But the ip will change, wont catch him with that.

Could you explain what you mean by seller protection?

Ive never heard of people using paypal for sales on the hub, i would say it's an instant red flag.

Thanks. We'll look into it.

Did the scammer definitely contact you through Bike Hub? I see that you are also selling the bike on Gumtree.

Ive never heard of people using paypal for sales on the hub, i would say it's an instant red flag.

Dealt with a few guys using PayPal, actually quite simple, so not necessarily a red flag....

Hi Grease_Monkey

Ya PayPal is fine, but some oke sitting in Sweden that wants to buy a bike from SA is an obvious red flag. I have no hassles using PayPal in SA and to ship locally.

Dealt with a few guys using PayPal, actually quite simple, so not necessarily a red flag....

Hi Nick

I doubt they used bikehub. I advertised on a few platforms. Either way, i generally have no issues with PayPal. I've used it sell things before.

People should just beware of okes trying to scam through PayPal.. especially when are trying to buy something 'internationally'. Using PayPal as such shouldn't be red flagged, its a valid transaction method but as with any method of transacting there is someone whom will exploit it. What they do is they want to 'arrange' the shipping and then pick up the parcel. They then re-route the parcel and let PayPal know that they never received the parcel. So PayPal would then contact one (i.e you look like the scammer). That's one approach they guys try to take.

The IP address the scammer used, is supposedly used on a regular basis for all sorts of scam including PayPal scams.

This scammer sent me an sms through a bulkmessaging service asking me to email him. That's a red flag, but i entertained it cause i figured the guy may be local. We conversed further via email from there on. I would attach a photo of his emails but i don't quite know how to do that.

Thanks. We'll look into it.

Did the scammer definitely contact you through Bike Hub? I see that you are also selling the bike on Gumtree.

Edited by Darius

Hi Jacoo

It may be the case. But the IP address has apparently been used for quite a few different scams. Maybe its one of those one stop scam hosting services. haha.

Seller protection as i understand it is as follows: You sell an item, you have to arrange the shipping. You load the docs and parcel tracking numbers on PayPal so PayPal give you protection in the case that the parcel gets lost or stolen and the buyer wants to hold you accountable for money that he has paid to you.

If they arrange the shipping they can re-route the package and contact PayPal telling them they never received the package. So you could be forced to refund them. So you sit without your item you sold and the money that was paid to you.

If the server is in hawaii hes probably using just a vpn from here in sa. But the ip will change, wont catch him with that.
Could you explain what you mean by seller protection?

I had an interesting one where the guy eventually gave me an account number but on further investigation it was a takealot.com account.

It was a while ago though.

Hi everyone

Some person tried to scam me via PayPal to buy my bike I'm selling. Be careful! They probably got hold of me after seeing the add on Junkmail or something.

If you are selling something and using PayPal. You have to arrange the shipping or you will not be eligible for seller protection.

The person has multiple Gmail accounts and uses this IP: 209.85.220.41

It is a mail server in Hawaii. Its supposedly been used for other types of scams as well.

Read and understand your PayPal account terms and conditions or you could get scammed.

Regards

I am not sure what you are trying to warn people about here.

That ip address is legit and belongs to GOOGLE / Gmail I have a gmail account and when I send you an email it will come from that address.

If you were contacted by a scammer the IP that nothing to do with it.

It is standard for Paypal to reverse the money if the other party claims that they did not receive the package, weather YOU shipped it or THEY shipped.

So again, I am not sure what you are trying to say here.

Here is the registration details of that IP address 

NetRange: 209.85.128.0 - 209.85.255.255

CIDR: 209.85.128.0/17

NetName: GOOGLE

NetHandle: NET-209-85-128-0-1

Parent: NET209 (NET-209-0-0-0-0)

NetType: Direct Allocation

OriginAS:

Organization: Google LLC (GOGL)

RegDate: 2006-01-13

Updated: 2012-02-24

Ref: https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/209.85.128.0

Hi Nick

I doubt they used bikehub. I advertised on a few platforms. Either way, i generally have no issues with PayPal. I've used it sell things before.

People should just beware of okes trying to scam through PayPal.. especially when are trying to buy something 'internationally'. Using PayPal as such shouldn't be red flagged, its a valid transaction method but as with any method of transacting there is someone whom will exploit it. What they do is they want to 'arrange' the shipping and then pick up the parcel. They then re-route the parcel and let PayPal know that they never received the parcel. So PayPal would then contact one (i.e you look like the scammer). That's one approach they guys try to take.

The IP address the scammer used, is supposedly used on a regular basis for all sorts of scam including PayPal scams.

This scammer sent me an sms through a bulkmessaging service asking me to email him. That's a red flag, but i entertained it cause i figured the guy may be local. We conversed further via email from there on. I would attach a photo of his emails but i don't quite know how to do that.

Hmm you have this correct because scammer often open up GMAIL accounts. And these ip's belong to Goggle / gmail