Karkloof Mountain Bike - okay to ride alone?

Clazst

Hi bikers,

I want to know if I'm okay to ride alone from 17th to 19th December as coming down from Jo'burg.

Not to sure if that is okay or not as I'm not speedy as my average is 18 and like to ride in the morning. If anyone know at Karkloof and I'll be more happy to join and ride in the morning.

Anyone advice?

Thanks

The trails in and around Karkloof are fine to ride alone. Touch wood there have been no crime related incidents that I'm aware of. The trails are pretty well marked with various marked loops leaving from the Karkloof Country Club. You can buy permits (R50 per person per day) and sign the necessary indemnity from at the club. Alternatively you can pay for your permit via the MySOS App which can also help to put you touch with the necessary people/rescue personnel should you require medical assistance during the ride (hopefully you don't!). The APP will also help to geo-locate you so that if you need help to come to you, the right people know where you are!

There are no formal club out rides that I'm aware of but riders typically hit the trails early mornings so you could possibly approach a group and ask to join them if you are not keen on riding alone.

If you do plan to use the MySOS app, I'd recommend downloading the app to your phone and familiarizing yourself with the app before getting to club. It'll just save time and possibly some frustration on the day. More info can be found here.