The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Yep very true about the negative impact of commercial animal agriculture..the best solution for the problems our beautiful planet is to cull the human population [emoji6]

Bingo! Too many people is the common root to most environmental problems.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest, are you concerned about your carbon footprint?

Interesting question.

Yes I am.

But you did not answer mine.

Rule one. Don't be a hypocrite.

Interesting question.

Yes I am.

But you did not answer mine.

Rule one. Don't be a hypocrite.

Not sure why you need to be so aggressive but anyway.

No, I do my best to avoid imported products.

I trust you also avoid ordering from overseas (CRC, Wiggle etc) just because they are cheaper?

There seems to be this expectation that somehow vegans are perfect, which is obviously not the case. I'm sure there are areas where I could reduce my carbon footprint further, but the fact is that in a busy life that is not always possible. I, like many others, do the most I can. I don't judge people for eating meat or think anything less of them. We each make choices based on our values and beliefs. Live and let live.

Edited by FrankG

Another interesting association I recently read about is the one between religion and veganism, the theory being that one is often substituted for the other. 

The more I read the responses in this thread, the more I see validity in this observation.

There seems to be this expectation that somehow vegans are perfect,

Hell where did you get that idea from..

No just SOME of them just like with bible bashers are hypocrites.

To the Vegans, do you eat Avo's or Almonds?

Am I missing something? What's wrong with Avos and Almonds? Both are not animals right? Is this some kind of loaded question?

Edit: Ahh the bees!

Edited by Eldron

*Someone starts having a heart attack*

Person: Is anyone here a doctor!?!

Vegan: I'm a vegan. *mutters under his breath* How's that bacon tasting now, buddy? 

Ok, as you were, back to the thread..

Corrected

Am I missing something? What's wrong with Avos and Almonds? Both are not animals right? Is this some kind of loaded question?

Yes.

We've been over this before. Do a search, people. It's not on this thread, but it's on the hub. 

To the Vegans, do you eat Avo's or Almonds?

The list of bee pollination is very very long..

Bee/insect pollination... it is a no no for Vegans..i think when a lot of new age vegans go look at all the animal by products they actually do consume they will find that in fact they are only vegetarians. Edited by Gen

Yes.

We've been over this before. Do a search, people. It's not on this thread, but it's on the hub.

I guess the right answer is ethically sourced product?

Bee pollination... it is a no no for Vegans..i think when a lot of new age vegans go look at all the animal by products they actually do consume they will find that in fact they are only vegetarians.

If you dig deep enough nobody is vegan or vegetarian - almost every product we use kills animals and the planet either directly or indirectly.

Taking shots at Vegans for avos and Almonds is a bit silly though.

Bee/insect pollination... it is a no no for Vegans..i think when a lot of new age vegans go look at all the animal by products they actually do consume they will find that in fact they are only vegetarians.

Liewe moer. Are there actually people who do not eat stuff because a bee polinates it??? Wtf is wrong with a bee being a bee?

The past two pages have really seemed to center around 'catching out the vegans'. 

"Oh, you eat avos. What about the bees?" "Oh, you drive a car. What about the environment?" "Oh, you wear synthetic clothes. What about the plastic?"

This is classic psychology. It's a defensive response triggered cognitive dissonance. It allows someone to delegitimise the 'aggressor', so that it reduces the dissonance and allows them to continue on their way and not be faced with the possibility of having to change their habits or lifestyle. 

The idea is to reach a point where you can say "Ha! I've caught you out. You're a hypocrite. Therefore, I can dismiss both you and the concept of veganism and carry on my merry way. I feel better now."

Let's make this clear: veganism is not the pursuit of perfection. There is no such thing. As seen on the OP - veganism is: 

“A philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals.”