The Veganism Thread

Odinson

For anyone looking to cut down on chicken consumption or the industry.. 

Quorn Crumbed Schnitzels... Absolutely blew my mind. 

No thanks.....I would stick to lentil burgers

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No thanks.....I would stick to lentil burgers

Also try a black bean patty. I’ve got a couple of recipes I’ll share on the vegan recipes thread.

Okay, now back to business. 

With December almost halfway done, let's look to the new year and see how we can challenge ourselves to step out of our comfort zones. For that, I propose 'Veganuary'. 

Veganuary is a campaign to have people try out a plant-based diet for the month of Jan. There is an accompanying website that has an absolute wealth of into (recipes, FAQs, etc.) that can be used. It's that simple. 

Knowing that a full plant-based diet is perhaps a bridge too far for some at this time, I propose a second challenge: 'Reductionuary'. Doesn't quite roll off the tongue, but the idea is to go on an animal product reduction 30 day challenge. Basically, the idea is to get ~90% of your daily calories from plant sources and the rest can be 'spent' on animal products. Cronometer will be needed in this challenge and I can run a simulation to see how that would look like. 

Even if you have no interest in a plant-based diet, I think it could be interesting just from a cooking perspective - try new dishes, ingredients, etc. Make it a family challenge and involve the whole lot of them. 

So, who would be interested? 

Clock's ticking and 2019 is staring us all square in the face. Thus, I want to invite all of the readers of this thread to join in Veganuary. 

Montage-Banner-17th-Nov-Text-v2.png

https://veganuary.com/

All the info you need can be found on their website. 

I can understand that for some it might seem like an insurmountable challenge, but I can assure you that it is not. Yes, you'll need to do some reading, planning and experimentation, but such is life. Anything worth doing requires work. It's that simple. However, just a couple of days in and you'll realise how simple it is. 

In the foreword to his book 'Finding Ultra', Rich Roll made quite a poignant statement which is quite relatable to the above: "The priority is no longer self-actualization. Nor is it contribution. Personal responsibility has been exchanged for victimhood. Challenge is to be avoided. Comfort is king."

There is nothing to lose. 

The big thing is the aspiration. The actions will follow. 

You're in for 'Reductionuary'? 

Signed up for Veganuary! But almost certain it'll be Reductionuary instead.  :blush:

Let's see how it goes.

Edited by Imploder

Signed up for Veganuary! But almost certain it'll be Reductionuary instead.  :blush:

Let's see how it goes.

Whoop! Whoop! 

Don't be too tough on yourself either. If you've got any kind of health/performance goals you'd like to hit, I'd stronlgy suggest focussing on whole plant foods. Check out the pyramid below (just a guide obviously)

Lots of good resources here too: https://plantproof.com/

Food_Pyramid-01.jpg

Surprisingly, they (Veganuary) have a lot of SA specific info available - 'accidentally vegan' foods, etc. So be sure to check those mails. 

Edited by Odinson

More like beef pies have been told in the article. 

The Beef Checkoff Program is a producer-funded marketing and research program designed to increase domestic and/or international demand for beef.

A researcher whose field of study is livestock production efficiency, writing a pro-meat/anti-vegan OPINION PIECE with the conclusion: 

Climate change demands urgent attention, and the livestock industry has a large overall environmental footprint that affects air, water and land.

These, combined with a rapidly rising world population, give us plenty of compelling reasons to continue to work for greater efficiencies in animal agriculture.

Not-so-thinly veiled industry funded garbage and self-promotion for research funding $$$. 

More like beef pies have been told in the article. 

The [/size]Beef Checkoff Program[/size] is a producer-funded marketing and research [/size]program[/size] designed to increase domestic and/or international demand for [/size]beef[/size].[/size]

Does not mean it’s automatically untrue though.

A researcher whose field of study is livestock production efficiency, writing a pro-meat/anti-vegan OPINION PIECE with the conclusion: 

Not-so-thinly veiled industry funded garbage and self-promotion for research funding $$$.

While article is certainly pro meat, I did not detect it to be anti vegan.

Another factor that causes a lot of pollution is the manufacture of cement. Should we stop building houses? Should we cease using transport. Many of the arguments presented above were environment related but it seems that there are far greater factors in this regard currently at play.

This article merely illustrates that abstaining from meat won’t magically save the planet.

While article is certainly pro meat, I did not detect it to be anti vegan.

Another factor that causes a lot of pollution is the manufacture of cement. Should we stop building houses? Should we cease using transport. Many of the arguments presented above were environment related but it seems that there are far greater factors in this regard currently at play.

This article merely illustrates that abstaining from meat won’t magically save the planet.

This is why I said it’s important for us to be honest about what our personal drives and motivations are.

Odi’s primary concern seems to be saving animals, apart from (Pekkles who he took a dislike too) and saving the planet is a great secondary benefit. Nothing wrong with this, but stopping cement manufacturing won’t save the piglets in the short term, so we need to acknowledge that those arguments won’t satisfy some people’s core concerns.

This is why I said it’s important for us to be honest about what our personal drives and motivations are.

Odi’s primary concern seems to be saving animals, apart from (Pekkles who he took a dislike too) and saving the planet is a great secondary benefit. Nothing wrong with this, but stopping cement manufacturing won’t save the piglets in the short term, so we need to acknowledge that those arguments won’t satisfy some people’s core concerns.

Pekkles could be the bikehub mascot..I instantly fell in love with Pekkles.[emoji23]

Pekkles could be the bikehub mascot..I instantly fell in love with Pekkles.[emoji23]

Who the flip is Pekkles?

BTW making a killer Bobotie  for dinner...with no fruit

Who the flip is Pekkles?

BTW making a killer Bobotie for dinner...with no fruit

Patches rescued Pekkles the hen from somewhere.. Pekkles is treated like gold ..