• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
On 7/13/2021 at 12:40 PM, IceCreamMan said:

See this thread survived. 

Still going ,  9 months in more or less. Its become aa way of life and easily so. 

Its a lot like quitting smoking, its difficult for a while until you get used to it.

After that you feel pretty good about.

4 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

Its a lot like quitting smoking, its difficult for a while until you get used to it.

After that you feel pretty good about.

Great comparison. Exactly. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IceCreamMan said:

Well now, have tractor will plant and grow food.

That sounds like fun, have you guys moved out to the country?

3 minutes ago, Rocket-Boy said:

That sounds like fun, have you guys moved out to the country?

Oooops no...there was a spam post selling tractors on the thread a minute ago...gone now. 

• 4 weeks later...

There are so many "scientific " researches for as well as against eating meat and other animal products ..........very few do not have a hidden agenda ranging from a relatively excusable sub- conscious bias to downright fraud in promoting commercial interests ... that plus the fact that we do not know everything about ourselves and our place in the world (even though we would like to believe otherwise ) means  IMHO that we do not have much hope of arriving at some universally true and everlasting definitive answer.

What I can rely on (and strictly for my own purposes  ) is personal experience ;-

1. ...I am 64 years old and still very fit and able. During various periods I have been strictly vegetarian for years at a time....the last stint of vegetarianism lasted 7 years but then I succumbed to convenience and "not being the odd one out "

Now I am back to being vegetarian

I was definitely more healthy (and had less common ailments such as colds etc ) after I had been vegetarian for some  time and over the last 25 odd years there has been a definite correlation between my blood pressure levels and what I eat . High blood pressure is hereditary in my family and my father died  age 65 after a coronary thrombosis.  As long as I stick to a whole food, whole grain vegetarian diet, (no refined stuff ) my blood pressure is perfect (in the region of 120/70.)

At one stage during a vegetarian stint of approximately 3 years I worked as lumberjack ...despite incredibly demanding physical work there were never any problems because of my vegetarian diet .

2. I am not comfortable when I see the suffering caused to animals in commercial farming and transport to places where they are killed ...especially when I realize that I do not have to eat meat and be party to the cause of such suffering .

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 2:29 PM, GrahamS2 said:

Mostly because they are. I know many people who choose not to eat a particular food type, and other than asking them you wouldn't really know about it. And I only regularly see 2 vegans, so my experiences are based on a limited sample, but they both routinely bring up their dietary choice as being the 'right' way and berate meat eaters. I've had similar experiences with other vegans at social functions, so I'm not sure if this high level of enthusiasm is a thing or if I've just been unlucky. It gets tiring but doesn't particularly bother me. I eat meat and always will, and if someone chooses not to (for whatever reason) then that's their choice. 

The science behind it all is what fascinates me as dietary science is really in it's infancy when it comes to proper studies. Can humans genuinely survive on plant matter (without any supplements)? 

I understand that from all evidence available that Roman gladiators were vegetarian.

Some of the Buddhist monks that I knew were life long vegetarians and lived in places where there was no such a concept as "supplements " never mind actual supplements

28 minutes ago, Pierre Nieuwoudt said:

I understand that from all evidence available that Roman gladiators were vegetarian.

From some of the evidence, not all of the evidence, and certainly not by choice: 

https://historyofyesterday.com/debunking-the-myth-of-gladiator-vegetarian-diet-8de7813d4625

"Gladiators were slaves, thus Romans fed them whatever was available. The Romans desired to spend as little money as possible on their upkeep. Ephesus had a plentiful supply of fish and seafood, so they may have served the gladiators a rich seafood-based broth with barley and legumes."

5 hours ago, Pierre Nieuwoudt said:

Some of the Buddhist monks that I knew were life long vegetarians and lived in places where there was no such a concept as "supplements " never mind actual supplements

Some gladiators were indeed vegetarian, because they mostly consumed barley, beans and fish. But they also took calcium supplements, as their diet lacked it. 

Tofu, Leafy greens , beans and lentils, chia seeds and flax seeds. 

Im sure you'll easily meet your daily requirement of calcium if eat 1 cup of leafy greens, 1 cup of cooked beans and lentils, and 2 teaspoons of seeds. 

1/3 teaspoon of calcium and creatine is the only supplements I take. 

(Tofu is very inexpensive. I buy a pack of 600g tofu for R20 from a Chinese lady at the Carreira fruit and vegetable market in Randburg)

11 hours ago, Tim Brink said:

From some of the evidence, not all of the evidence, and certainly not by choice: 

https://historyofyesterday.com/debunking-the-myth-of-gladiator-vegetarian-diet-8de7813d4625

"Gladiators were slaves, thus Romans fed them whatever was available. The Romans desired to spend as little money as possible on their upkeep. Ephesus had a plentiful supply of fish and seafood, so they may have served the gladiators a rich seafood-based broth with barley and legumes."

Some gladiators were slaves, some were not ..and even the slaves were very prized 'possessions" more often than not to be kept in peak physical condition.

I suppose because of  the idea that humans cannot live healthily without eating meat, at I 64 I had better start taking taking supplements  because of my vegetarian (note not vegan) diet  and I will have to convince the millions of healthy people in eastern and some European countries that despite the fact that they have lived long and healthy lives without eating meat they need to to now taking supplements.