The Veganism Thread

Odinson

4 hours ago, Pierre Nieuwoudt said:

Some gladiators were slaves, some were not ..and even the slaves were very prized 'possessions" more often than not to be kept in peak physical condition.

I suppose because of  the idea that humans cannot live healthily without eating meat, at I 64 I had better start taking taking supplements  because of my vegetarian (note not vegan) diet  and I will have to convince the millions of healthy people in eastern and some European countries that despite the fact that they have lived long and healthy lives without eating meat they need to to now taking supplements.

There's a lot to be said for a vegetarian diet and I'm generally very supportive,

but -

1. AFAIK there have been no vegan cultures (Have There Been Any Vegan Cultures or Civilizations? – I Am Going Vegan)

2. medical consensus seems to be that the biggest nutritional challenges for vegans are pregnancy and young childhood development. At 64 you'll likely be just fine, but the generalisation to apply that to society at large doesn't hold.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not arrive on this planet at the age of 64 ... I think that it was a little bit before  I turned 64 that I arrived here and started experimenting with being a vegetarian????

As you say "challenges " not absolutes. Perhaps the challenges are precisely because of the way we have become used to eating loads of meat and neglected developing our use of other sources of nutrition ( which are also possibly more balanced and less harmful to us  ) .

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow marks a year I have led a “vegan” lifestyle. I use inverted commas because I am not 100 percent truly vegan in the sense I wear leather products and from time to time do eat cheese, albeit small amounts and relatively rarely so. I just cannot be arsed with checking each and every product I buy to ensure it’s all 100 percent non animal based but I have eaten no meat, no eggs, no fish, no fowl etc etc. 

one thing I have learnt is to really relish food. So I eat with enjoyment. I have fallen in love with eating if you will. I eat with consideration of the food and enjoy the textures and tastes and enjoy exploring new products and meals. Recently discovered tofu and love experimenting with it as an example. I love the new experiences disproving the old adage about old dogs and new tricks.

land, it’s been very easy to do for the most part. Never felt I am sacrificing. Also moved towards more whole foods and less processed food. So much to learn hey.

so ,some of the physical benefits. 

I have lost 2 stone. 
my RHR has reduced by around 15 percent.

I recover much quicker from exercise, although currently have a torn calf muscle but that’s another story all together.

I sleep way better, probably a function of the weight loss and less inflammation in the body due to meat etc.

I feel a lot better and have higher energy levels.

and of course importantly I walk on the earth a lot gentler and that is an awesome feeling. Love being woke ????

my experience only, YMMV  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 1:36 PM, IceCreamMan said:

Recently discovered tofu and love experimenting with it as an example.

Love being woke 

Blend the tofu and add a 1:1.5 ratio of flour with the blended tofu. You can add any spice. Cover the outside with cornflakes. Thats the best vegan schnitzel ive ever made. 

#staywoke. 

Well done with your vegan anniversary! 

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, OLENA GREEN said:

In fact, there are as many people as there are opinions. There are so many studies about meat diets and about vegans. And who knows where the truth is and where the lies are. I personally feel good about both. I prefer to eat more meat products myself. But after I had bariatric surgery to remove the weight I had to give up meat for a while. As it is a heavy food. And I liked it. So every diet is good in its own way.

Facts and opinions are two different things.

Also, not every diet is good in its own way.

Now, if you want to debate the science behind an omnivorous diet and a plant based diet, that is welcome and a really good idea, but anecdotal posts don't really serve much point.

• 2 weeks later...

Another lil win 

I suffer from gout and been on puricos etc for around 10 years. I go for a blood test every second year or so. Even on medication my iirc acid levels are on the upper border line.

Went for a test and results are out. My Uric acid levels are right in the middle of the normal range for an adult male.

now I am the first to say there are a number of variables at play but that’s the first normal result I have had in 15 years. Big win for me. 

going to halve my medication amount amount and experiment a bit. Another test in 2 months and see

22 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Another lil win 

I suffer from gout and been on puricos etc for around 10 years. I go for a blood test every second year or so. Even on medication my iirc acid levels are on the upper border line.

Went for a test and results are out. My Uric acid levels are right in the middle of the normal range for an adult male.

now I am the first to say there are a number of variables at play but that’s the first normal result I have had in 15 years. Big win for me. 

going to halve my medication amount amount and experiment a bit. Another test in 2 months and see

Good luck with the meds, a mate of mine has suffered with awful Gout I would not wish it on anyone.

I've tried to make him eat fewer processed foods and reduce his meat intake but not had too much success so far. I'll show him your posts and perhaps it'll help.

Well done.

11 minutes ago, cfcjim said:

Good luck with the meds, a mate of mine has suffered with awful Gout I would not wish it on anyone.

I've tried to make him eat fewer processed foods and reduce his meat intake but not had too much success so far. I'll show him your posts and perhaps it'll help.

Well done.

I believe a large part of why my levels have dropped is because the vegan lifestyle “encourages” one to eat less processed foods. Without a doubt processed foods are a big evil esp with the amounts we consume in modern times. I eat a fraction of what I used to eat. Of course meat plays a role to. 

11 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

I believe a large part of why my levels have dropped is because the vegan lifestyle “encourages” one to eat less processed foods. Without a doubt processed foods are a big evil esp with the amounts we consume in modern times. I eat a fraction of what I used to eat. Of course meat plays a role to. 

This is a great point actually.

Whether Vegan or not, sometimes the fact that you have made a determined and conscientious decision to follow a specific style of eating, means that you pay WAY more attention to processed foods. The benefits are undeniable. 

8 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

This is a great point actually.

Whether Vegan or not, sometimes the fact that you have made a determined and conscientious decision to follow a specific style of eating, means that you pay WAY more attention to processed foods. The benefits are undeniable. 

Agree. It’s the focus. 

I now tend to avoid processed foods. My taste buds have completely changed. Incredible really. . 

• 1 month later...

Another anecdote , not based in any sort of scientific experiment or anything like that however I am now running PBs over all distances. 

I put this down to my diet. The last couple of months have been amazing in that regard. Managed a half under 2 hours for the first time ever. 

that said I will never win a marathon, always bringing up the rear however a lil less at the back now. 

• 10 months later...

Still on the plant based treadmill. It works for me. My gout medication is now a quarter of what it used to be. I could probably cease taking it completely but those who know gout know it ain’t pretty so taking a little bit of puricos to keep that devil at bay. 

HR is around 42, BP right at the sweet spot 120/80 and sometimes lower, all blood counts within the norms of a person 20 years younger. 

and even getting into the animal misery aspects of plant based diets,,,I think I am becoming woke. Shizer 

6 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Still on the plant based treadmill. It works for me. My gout medication is now a quarter of what it used to be. I could probably cease taking it completely but those who know gout know it ain’t pretty so taking a little bit of puricos to keep that devil at bay. 

HR is around 42, BP right at the sweet spot 120/80 and sometimes lower, all blood counts within the norms of a person 20 years younger. 

and even getting into the animal misery aspects of plant based diets,,,I think I am becoming woke. Shizer 

Plantbased is the way to go if:

You want quality sleep ( better recovery )

You want to ditch inflammation

You want to lower the unhealthy cholesterol levels

....and ditch the pill boxes ;)

9 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Sheesh, talking of being woke.

I eat plant based, have a beard, drive a tesla and gravel bike.

I am quite literally a walking stereotype and loving every moment of it.