Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone following or reading this tread looking for a Commencal Frame (MTB 26") please contact me.  We are moving out this weekend (I can no longer do stairs so found a place on the ground) but no longer have use (or space) for the 26" bike as my back no longer supports HT Riding.

Collection of the frame in Pretoria will be needed

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Cois

Just a little shout out to hear how things are going?

Hope your keeping well that side with all the craziness going on in the world at the moment.

Thanks for the Shout out Brad980

Things are going well at the moment. Was told by the hospital admin that my surgery for this month will not happen. Will have to wait till Gauteng falls in the Covid arena.

I must still see the oncologist next month, but every day is a worry. Every client visit the risk is always on my mind.

I lost a friendship because the lady did not want to wear her mask around me. So I told her to stay away from me and my wife. We are both high risk people and she just decided that screening is enough reason not to wear a mask around me.

But all in all, things are going well. Just sneezing and coughing hurts like nothing else I felt before

Cois hang in there.  Hoping you can have the last operation(s) as soon as possible.

People and masks ..... I share your frustrations in this regard.  As a high risk person I do my best to limit my exposure, but it really grinds me when the behaviour of others puts me and you at risk ....

I fully agree on not liking a mask .... BUT, when I share space with others my mask is put on.  The irony being that I know that putting my mask on only protects "them", my health is at the mercy of the common decency of those we encounter daily ....

Hey Cois.

Glad to hear things are still going well, all things considered.

I'm afraid this pandemic is going to reveal a lot about the people around us and their compassion towards others or lack there of.

With regards to visits to the Doc and high risk environments, maybe a good fitting N95 mask might help there? I know they aren't great for continual use and are more difficult to breath in compared to the surgical masks.

Maybe one of the doctors on here can comment about what would be best for visits to the doctor where you may be in contact with other ill people in waiting rooms etc?

Our rodeo here in Australia is just starting, we managed to dodge the first wave of infections, but now have community transmission in Victoria and New South Wales.  I personally think we'll soon be joining the rest of the world with regards to covid cases.

However on a positive note while reading some of the articles on the various news websites today, there seems to be some positive results on the vaccines developed here and in China. Fingers crossed this is actually the case.

On a lighter note here is a link to a monkey riding a bicycle, or if you ask my wife, me trying to be a mountain biker :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOcUZzCa9aw

• 3 weeks later...

My dad had a operation last week on his prostate. They discovered 4% cancer cells. So they will do a MRI either later this year or early next year to give the gland a bit of healing time.

So been a bit of a nasty week at the Marais house again

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw the oncologist. Sent for an MRI. Sitting waiting for Momentum to give authorization for the scan.... then it is me and the nemesis.

My blood work was not very good so a bit of a concern. Dr wants to find the cancer, as he is a little worried about my liver.

Just saw the oncologist. Sent for an MRI. Sitting waiting for Momentum to give authorization for the scan.... then it is me and the nemesis.

My blood work was not very good so a bit of a concern. Dr wants to find the cancer, as he is a little worried about my liver.

Thinking of you and hoping for the best!!

Best of luck and strength to you.

News were not good.

New growth detected at the site of my colostomy. There is a huge amount of fluid at the ileostomy. It explains why I am having problems with it.

The oncologist said we might have to wait a month, redo the blood-works as I have inflammation at the stoma and could screw the numbers.

So I am not in a good place at the moment.