Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

[emoji22] got a phone call... Mr Marais, why did you miss your appointment?

So we had a mixup over the phone. I thought I had an appointment with the Oncologist for Monday. Sounds like the tannie said I had to see the Oncologist at 11h30 today and not Monday. That is why I live e-mails... You can trace what was said.

So had to reschedule for Monday morning at 10h15.

Had a bit of inspiration today. I saw a client with breast cancer last year. Delivered her notebook and did the setups etc.

Saw her again today... I did not recognize her. She looked healthy and as a normal person would.

I started tearing up. It was a little boost of hope and moral for me. I felt so embarrassed it wasn’t funny.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[emoji22] got a phone call... Mr Marais, why did you miss your appointment?

So we had a mixup over the phone. I thought I had an appointment with the Oncologist for Monday. Sounds like the tannie said I had to see the Oncologist at 11h30 today and not Monday. That is why I live e-mails... You can trace what was said.

So had to reschedule for Monday morning at 10h15.

Had a bit of inspiration today. I saw a client with breast cancer last year. Delivered her notebook and did the setups etc.

Saw her again today... I did not recognize her. She looked healthy and as a normal person would.

I started tearing up. It was a little boost of hope and moral for me. I felt so embarrassed it wasn’t funny.

Ouch .... mix-ups happen ....

Hope the next meds helps !!

Inspiration .... popped in to pick up something from a local shop today.  I first met Marius in 1999.  He was in remission after spending way too much of his high school time in Tygerberg's childrens cancer ward .....  Today he is a middle aged man, and living a full live.  Thankfully still in remission.  :clap:

Cois ons dink jou, en wens jou net die beste toe.  :thumbup:

Was informed today that I face being retrenched or medically boarded because I can’t perform at 100% due to my health.

But like before this gets dropped on me at 16h30 in the afternoon on a Friday. Just to fudge my weekend. And this was the MO the previous time I work at the company. I was told that things will be made unbearable for me till I quit as they did with an employee that received the same treatment last year.

So I do not know what to do anymore.

This morning I thought of driving of a bridge. This illness and the things at the company are driving me to unsavory thoughts.

'Cois, this is called constructive dismissal. It's illegal and would in principle leave the company open to a claim by yourself. You should consult a good labour lawyer as soon as you can. Unfortunately its not my area of expertise or I would offer to help without charge. I know you don't need this additional drama in your life right now but its the only useful advice I can provide.

I was told that things will be made unbearable for me till I quit as they did with an employee that received the same treatment last year.

'Cois, this is called constructive dismissal. It's illegal and would in principle leave the company open to a claim by yourself. You should consult a good labour lawyer as soon as you can. Unfortunately its not my area of expertise or I would offer to help without charge. I know you don't need this additional drama in your life right now but its the only useful advice I can provide.

Had a lawyer that I used when the previous company retrenched me. But he was as useless as Eskom providing uninterrupted electricity.

So will keep my eyes open and I might join Solidariteit just to protect myself.

But this time I will fight and not take it like a dog being kicked every day.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-02/uop-ftt012921.php

Gross, but interesting. Shows how much we still have to learn.

It is very interesting but I know that there is a ongoing study regarding the gut biome and effects that covid has on the patient.

I think we underestimate what the gut bacteria has on us.

Will ask the oncologist what he thinks about it. They seem very slow to look at treatment trails and other treatment options.

Even with the tests that were done I am not sure on my treatment plans (even the medical aid seems a bit reluctant at the treatment plans)

But will know in two months and a MRI scan

Started my chemo this morning.  So far nothing to bad.  Everything just has a metallic smell to it.

Thursday its my nemesis again.  The dreaded MRI Machine and one hour of "musical" torture for a baseline to see what the new medication kills...

The last blood test did not look good at all.  My cancer marker that were 25 last year came to 384.  And the one that was 5 is now on 49.  but at least we have a base line now.  And the doctor was happy that I  requested the blood test.

Edited by Cois

Had a lawyer that I used when the previous company retrenched me. But he was as useless as Eskom providing uninterrupted electricity.

So will keep my eyes open and I might join Solidariteit just to protect myself.

But this time I will fight and not take it like a dog being kicked every day.

Only saw your post now. Constructive dismissal is not as easy to prove as people believe  and case law is relatively thin on the ground compared to retrenchment/misconduct etc.  Do not resign at all. Hang in however hard it is and I do understand that is easier said than done. 

Retrenchment and  dismissal due to ill health are also  legally two very different scenarios and the company should not be offering one as an alternative to another. Each has its own requirements for it to be done legally and correctly.   One cannot ever offer retrenchment as a 'threat' as that invalidates that it is being done for a fair reason that is unrelated to performance.  

Fudge this new chemo is kicking my arse around the block!

Blood pressure last night: 137/112 down from 149/121

Constant headache and nausea.

My feet and hands are taking a beating as well. They are hyper sensitive at the moment making walking a bit difficult.

Went to see the GP this morning at 07h00. On blood pressure medicine, rapid headache pills and a beta blocker because my heart started running away.

At least I have my new contact lenses so there is a huge plus point. I can see much better now...

My feet and hands are taking a beating as well. They are hyper sensitive at the moment making walking a bit difficult.

Went to see the GP this morning at 07h00. On blood pressure medicine, rapid headache pills and a beta blocker because my heart started running away.

At least I have my new contact lenses so there is a huge plus point. I can see much better now...

**** man, I really feel for you. Hopefully this new chemo kicks this bastard into touch.

Imagine how uncomfortable that treatment is to the big C if it is making you this uncomfortable.

You just need to keep up your strength and only good things will come from this....