Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

I have no idea to be honest sir.  

I will have to use it with my Mountain bike.  I only know of the Kickr range because one of my friends used his to train.  But I have no idea what to look for to be honest.

I have a spinning bike, but I can't move the thing around.  The last time I tried I tore open my scar.  So I need something that is light that I or Reinet can move.

The main goal is to get on a bike in our house (we have a very small rental so space is a huge issue).  I can feel my fitness slipping and with the new meds I can't go cycling outdoors.  At home if I fall or pass out, Wilgers Hospital is 3 minutes away.  On the bike... That time can increase to an hour.

Assuming you manage to get an IDT, will you be able to connect to the internet i.e. Zwift or similar platform to do online rides? IMO that would be the best option, but obviously comes with a cost (needs internet and a subscription to online platform).

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cois, a fighter like you deserves a kickr.

Both my parents fought this horrible disease so in very small way I know the challenges you are going through.

I’ll get the ball rolling and I’ll put R2500 into the “Get Cois a kickr” pot!

with my 5 buffalo we've got R 3k nearly there for the Kickr in the classifieds

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/indoor-trainers-and-accessories/463924/wahoo-kickr-snap

Assuming you manage to get an IDT, will you be able to connect to the internet i.e. Zwift or similar platform to do online rides? IMO that would be the best option, but obviously comes with a cost (needs internet and a subscription to online platform).

We have a stable internet connection at home as Reinet works from home some days.  The subscription I am not sure.  Will investigate it a bit further.

It would need to be a "smart" trainer to be able to use Zwift I believe.
So the sub R2k stationary trainers would not work.

I don't know enough about these to say this as fact though, just putting it out there.

We have a stable internet connection at home as Reinet works from home some days.  The subscription I am not sure.  Will investigate it a bit further.

I'm sure that this will be perfect - a platform like Zwift uses minimal data +- 55Mb/hour.

See here

A kickr weighs way more than a tacx. A kickr weighs 20-25kg easily. The tacx weighs around 15. 

The interwebs claim that the kickr snap, the one I have comes in at 38lbs - https://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/kickr-snap-bike-trainer

Then the tacx flow - my previous trainer (can get one for around R4k). The flow weighs 9.41kg (20lbs) according to their website: https://tacx.com/product/flow-smart/ - The flow is also a smart trainer and gives a max resistance of 850W or something like that. I used it for if memory serves around 2 and a half years. 

I am not a big fan of Zwift, I prefer Sufferfest or Fulgaz. Of the two Fulgaz is cheaper at $12,99pm where Sufferfest is $14,99 or so. 

Do you have a 26er or 29er MTB @Cois? You're going to need a slick for your bike, I believe I have both sizes here for you. I just need to confirm the 26er slick in the wendy. But I am also keen to contribute but can we possibly wait for payday  :whistling:. Come to think of it, maybe I can contribute by giving you a complete rear wheel so you can just pop yours off and pop this one on for the trainer. 

A kickr weighs way more than a tacx. A kickr weighs 20-25kg easily. The tacx weighs around 15. 

The interwebs claim that the kickr snap, the one I have comes in at 38lbs - https://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/kickr-snap-bike-trainer

Then the tacx flow - my previous trainer (can get one for around R4k). The flow weighs 9.41kg (20lbs) according to their website: https://tacx.com/product/flow-smart/ - The flow is also a smart trainer and gives a max resistance of 850W or something like that. I used it for if memory serves around 2 and a half years. 

I am not a big fan of Zwift, I prefer Sufferfest or Fulgaz. Of the two Fulgaz is cheaper at $12,99pm where Sufferfest is $14,99 or so. 

Do you have a 26er or 29er MTB @Cois? You're going to need a slick for your bike, I believe I have both sizes here for you. I just need to confirm the 26er slick in the wendy. But I am also keen to contribute but can we possibly wait for payday  :whistling:. Come to think of it, maybe I can contribute by giving you a complete rear wheel so you can just pop yours off and pop this one on for the trainer. 

Awesome!

@Cois you'll also need to confirm if your bike uses a quick release or thru axle as this may impact the rear wheel and trainer

The interwebs claim that the kickr snap, the one I have comes in at 38lbs - https://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/kickr-snap-bike-trainer

Then the tacx flow - my previous trainer (can get one for around R4k). The flow weighs 9.41kg (20lbs) according to their website: https://tacx.com/product/flow-smart/ - The flow is also a smart trainer and gives a max resistance of 850W or something like that. I used it for if memory serves around 2 and a half years.

Do you have a 26er or 29er MTB @Cois? You're going to need a slick for your bike, I believe I have both sizes here for you. I just need to confirm the 26er slick in the wendy. But I am also keen to contribute but can we possibly wait for payday :whistling:. Come to think of it, maybe I can contribute by giving you a complete rear wheel so you can just pop yours off and pop this one on for the trainer.

Thanks, Robert

I have a 29” and Reinet runs a 26”.

Will do a lot more reading on the trainers.

The trainers that runs wheel off. Are they quieter than the wheel on models?

Edited by Cois

From personal experience, the kickr is the most simple and straight forward to use.

Also, it is very quiet to use.

I dont use mine hooked to a subscription model. Rather use it to listen to audio books or catch up on you tube "stuff".  While I use it to train I am not using some goal orientated program. They are to boring.

BUT, time to figure out a plan.

Awesome!

@Cois you'll also need to confirm if your bike uses a quick-release or thru an axle as this may impact the rear wheel and trainer

I think the rear wheel has a QR but will have to make sure.

Crap It been so long since I touched my bike, I can’t even remember the small details on it.

I know the front wheel is a thru-axle, and as far as I can remember the rear is a QR. I am not sure of the width of the rear wheel through (only found out the last week that you get narrow and sides here as well.

Edited by Cois

It is most probably a QR on the rear, and to answer your question: A direct drive is more quiet than a wheel on, it also makes life slightly easier from a mounting / getting the bike fitted point of view. But, with that being said, a direct drive goes for around R9k (2nd hand from what I've seen) where a wheel mounted one you can get a smart trainer option for around R4k. That does make a slight difference  :whistling:. If you run a slick on the on the wheel mounted trainer it reaches (if memory serves) 69db. What that means from a music / app point of view: My laptop is around 2m away from my ears and I can run the internal speakers at 35-50% and still be able to hear the music over the trainer. 

I think the rear wheel has a QR but will have to make sure.
Crap It been so long since I touched my bike, I can’t even remember the small details on it.
I know the front wheel is a thru-axle, and as far as I can remember the rear is a QR. I am not sure of the width of the rear wheel through (only found out the last week that you get narrow and sides here as well.

My cousin might have a trainer for me that they purchased on Marketplace.  It keeps on blowing a fuse, but I think I might be able to fix it.  But will keep the Hub updated on the progress.