Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

Jis Cois, ek lees hier elke dag maar comment nie altyd nie, Alle sterkte daar Yster ons hoop en bid dat alles sal goed gaan vir jou en jou Fam. Staan sterk Tjom.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had the second consultation.

They are going to remove the tube today and start me on fluids in the hope that the partial blockage will be removed. 

The reason they can’t operate is that the whole of my bowel area has been riddled with cancer. So the risk of rupturing my bowels are too high.

If I am lucky the blockage will clear and I will be able to go on normally, just with severe caution.

I am starting to wonder if I should not start an RSO protocol, or get the oncologist to get me on a trial so that I can at least help someone else fighting this disease, seeing that the conventional treatments did not work at all.

Thanks for all the posts wishing me luck. Guys and girls, it means a lot to me. I am not alone in this battle. I have all of you fighting this fight with me. And that is amazing! How everyone just supports me and Reinet. 

You guys and girls are the reason I am still fighting this fight! I could not do this without your help and support.

@Cois my man, I am not 1 for many words, But if 2021 has shown us anything, it is the year for comebacks. Just look at Cavs for example (yes i know the circumstances are somewhat different) But my point is with belief and  support, anything is possible and all of the Bikehub community are here to support you. We have seen more miraculous things happen in our lives, and although I may not be the holiest person on the planet, geez not even in my house actually, but my point is that I believe you miracle is right around the corner. Never give up hope, never for 1 second have a negative thought along the lines that this disease will defeat you. You are a star, you are a champion, Keep as positive as you've been and 1 day we will be re-visiting this thread looking at pics of your full recovery. Keep doing what you doing boss.

Not a lot to say man. Been off the hub for a while and decided last night to log on and visit this thread as you are in my thoughts a lot. Been thinking about you ever since. Stay as strong as you can. We are all humbled by your attitude these past few years and we continue to hope for, believe in and care about you. 

I have been contemplating the thought tonight of selling my Scott to get something non boost for the trainer, so that I can switch our bike over and that Reinet can swap the bikes as well (yes I am thinking of the day that I pass)

If anyone has a contact that can help to swap my Scott for a non boost bike it will help a lot. When I bought the bike I did not do the homework and purchased a boost bike. Reinet has a non boost bike, so to swap bikes on the trainer entails removing the QR setup to switch the bikes. For me it is not a problem, but it might become a huge issue soon.

23 hours ago, Cois said:

I am starting to wonder if I should not start an RSO protocol, or get the oncologist to get me on a trial so that I can at least help someone else fighting this disease, seeing that the conventional treatments did not work at all.

Is the issue that your Scott is a thru-axle design and her bike is a quick release design?

Also lost a friend [55 old ] to Covid this week .I cannot help to feel the moer in with the Government playing Roulette with lives .I was lucky  to get the vaccine earlier this year  .He should also have had a chance 

3 hours ago, MudLark said:

Is the issue that your Scott is a thru-axle design and her bike is a quick release design?

It is the sizing. The axle on the rear is a boost size, so it is much longer than her bikes.

when I purchased the trainer I had to buy a special axle for the Boost sizing.

20 hours ago, Cois said:

It is the sizing. The axle on the rear is a boost size, so it is much longer than her bikes.

when I purchased the trainer I had to buy a special axle for the Boost sizing.

As far as I know, non-boost bikes haven't been made for a number of years now. I think they pretty much went out around 2015. 

I suspect that there are probably a few decent people here on this forum who don't live too far from you and who would be willing to drop by and help Reinet out with the setup if necessary, if that is an option at all. 

Was sent home this morning. The surgeon did not do much at all. Prescribed me an antacid and that is about it.

feeling much better to be home. 
just a bit irritated. I am suppose to be on a liquid diet. No consult with a dietician, not a clue what I can eat and drink, and no idea what to do except keep my pee a champagne colour, due to the failing kidney.

So I feel that the surgeon just wanted to get me out and on my way. He thought I was joking when I questioned the radiologist for seeing a gallbladder and that the gallbladder did not have any stones… just weird, because my gallbladder was removed a long time ago, because t was in the way of my liver ablation.

55 minutes ago, Cois said:

Was sent home this morning. The surgeon did not do much at all. Prescribed me an antacid and that is about it.

feeling much better to be home. 
just a bit irritated. I am suppose to be on a liquid diet. No consult with a dietician, not a clue what I can eat and drink, and no idea what to do except keep my pee a champagne colour, due to the failing kidney.

So I feel that the surgeon just wanted to get me out and on my way. He thought I was joking when I questioned the radiologist for seeing a gallbladder and that the gallbladder did not have any stones… just weird, because my gallbladder was removed a long time ago, because t was in the way of my liver ablation.

Sterkte Francois. Ek hou aan om vir jou te bid en te hoop op herstel. 

I have not been online in a while, covid related sabbatical of sorts.
Still holding onto the fact that God is good and nothing he does is without a reason.
The time you get with Reinet, the sterling example of what a fighter looks like for us. These are not trivial matters.

Keep up the good work. We are all behind you.

18 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Cois hoe gaan dit ?

Dink aan julle ????

Thanks for asking ChrisF

eating is huge problem (rather drinking) at the moment. Keeping things down is a huge challenge. Last night I had some Jelly and came out about an hour later with the cup of Rooibos tea. This morning drank half a cup of tea for my meds, and it took the RTS (Return to Sender) path as well with all my pills including my anti nausea medication.

the pain sticker works well, just have the same reaction to it as with morphine. We consulted with a dietician yesterday to find 2hat will work for me. I am on a liquid diet with no lactose, gluten or acid forming foods. The scary part of all this is the weight loss. 

Francois,

I have run out of words that could bring comfort. Now I just sit and silently cry with you. You are going through hell. Yet you share your story with people you've never met in the hopes that someone could benefit. You are a giant among men. You carry your cross well, and I am humbled by your fighting spirit. You epitomise strength of character and resilience in the face of overwhelming odds and I am the first to admit I have gotten myself into a fit of rage for something that pales in comparison and I am learning tons from you and how you face difficulty.

But you have a Hope that will not let you down. He knows. He is there with you. HE has carried this pain Himself.