Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

Cois, we have not met I hope to meet u one day, again on a ride this weekend me and another Hubber were talking about your insane strength and positivity, pal most people would have given up mentally the day you received your first consult. Keep fighting many Hubbers I know log in just to check in on you,????????????????????????????????

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Cois said:

I am looking more at the conversion, just for one reason.  Ease of use.  I have to get the device from my car.  So weight is a huge issue as I can hardly pick things up at the moment due to weakness.  The wheelchair I can still get out the car.  A mobility scooter is another matter and will have to convert my car to be able to transport the scooter.  My brother might be able to assist if I need to go mobility as he said he will cover the cost.  But again the issue is the size.   

Electric wheel chair is @#$@#$ heavy......

How about those dodgy electric kids scooters? (the one you stand on)  those fold up easy and should be able to manage weight wise.   you might even get away with non electric one if had big wheels for moment

Edited by Karman de Lange

4 minutes ago, Karman de Lange said:

Electric wheel chair is @#$@#$ heavy......

How about those dodgy electric kids scooters? (the one you stand on)  those fold up easy and should be able to manage weight wise.   you might even get away with non electric one if had big wheels for moment

I see most of the mobility scooters disassemble where it is easier to get into a car.  The one we tested was heavy as the South African taxes.  Think we need to go to a shop and see what we can get and work from there.  There might be a solution to transport the scooter as well.

My balance is non existing at the moment.  I could stand on one leg for hours, but in the mornings it is a struggle to stay up at all.  Standing here is an issue as well.  I get very lightheaded and have been deemed a fall risk.

27 minutes ago, Cois said:

I see most of the mobility scooters disassemble where it is easier to get into a car.  The one we tested was heavy as the South African taxes.  Think we need to go to a shop and see what we can get and work from there.  There might be a solution to transport the scooter as well.

My balance is non existing at the moment.  I could stand on one leg for hours, but in the mornings it is a struggle to stay up at all.  Standing here is an issue as well.  I get very lightheaded and have been deemed a fall risk.

Well at least we have something in common. My balance is lousy too, but I have no excuse. As always, inspired by your willingness to make a plan. 

1 hour ago, Cois said:

I am looking more at the conversion, just for one reason.  Ease of use.  I have to get the device from my car.  So weight is a huge issue as I can hardly pick things up at the moment due to weakness.  The wheelchair I can still get out the car.  A mobility scooter is another matter and will have to convert my car to be able to transport the scooter.  My brother might be able to assist if I need to go mobility as he said he will cover the cost.  But again the issue is the size.   

Could you not leave the scooter at work and only use it there? 

Thus not needing to move it around and modify the car. Dont need it at home after all. 

I like the crowd funding idea. 

2 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Could you not leave the scooter at work and only use it there? 

Thus not needing to move it around and modify the car. Dont need it at home after all. 

I like the crowd funding idea. 

I work on more than one location.  So it is not an option. And would help a lot if I can move about on weekends as well as I am home 90% of the weekends. Went to buy water at a shop yesterday and snapped at my wife when she could not decide if she wanted strawberries, but I felt the cloud of passing out nearing me and wanted to get to my car and wait for it to pass. Another issue I just thought of is that the client we work for, has a crap load of buildings that are not accessible via wheelchair, even though they are a University.

Cois the weight starts with the 30kg battery, add the motor, etc etc .....  these things will all be super heavy.

I have seen people with a "rig" on the towbar where the chairs is transported similar to the Thule platform bike racks.  Bit of a ramp, and the chair can be driven up, and clamped in place.

Hope you get sorted.

26 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Cois the weight starts with the 30kg battery, add the motor, etc etc .....  these things will all be super heavy.

I have seen people with a "rig" on the towbar where the chairs is transported similar to the Thule platform bike racks.  Bit of a ramp, and the chair can be driven up, and clamped in place.

Hope you get sorted.

Thanks ChrisF.

will have to weigh up all the options.  Will see if I can get a Facebook Group that can help with information and where to get the carriers and all of that.

sucks that a disability can cost so much money. Just wish I had an Automatic car, as it seems like the next issue I have to face.

Main reason I pop onto bikehub these days is to check in on you Cois... I don't think you know what sort of an inspiration you are to many people you don't even know. It's tough times out there in general, and a lot of people are struggling a bit more than they are used to, but seeing your fight and determination puts it all in perspective. Thank you for that - you've lit a fire in me personally that I know is already moving me in a very positive direction.

Great to see that pic of you looking so strong - you're a bloody Yster man. Keep up the good fight!

And on the crowd funding, for whatever solution you find or need to ease your mobility issues - I'm in for R1500
Just let me know where and when

Thank you.

On 9/15/2021 at 5:02 PM, Cois said:

Thanks ChrisF.

will have to weigh up all the options.  Will see if I can get a Facebook Group that can help with information and where to get the carriers and all of that.

sucks that a disability can cost so much money. Just wish I had an Automatic car, as it seems like the next issue I have to face.

I would suggets Uber/Lift/didi .. might sound expensive, but cheaper than replacing your car now.  .  Yes I know its a pain to wait around, but you will at least have someone to help you load things into the car as well..   

9 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Cois kon julle n plan maak ?

Hoop dit gaan beter met jou.

Nog nie. Gaan probeer om die naweek met my broer te gesels en die ouers om te kyk watter plan ons kan maak.

Had the chemo session of hell today. Nausea was constant, and had to get extra fluids as I was severely dehydrated. So the 3 hour session was almost 5 hours long, and had to do a round of radiation therapy afterwards.

The nursing staff was very worried about my yellow color. Showing that my liver is shot. So I hope that the radiation works.

At least I will not pee a brown red wee anymore… wonder if it glows in the dark…

32 minutes ago, Cois said:

Nog nie. Gaan probeer om die naweek met my broer te gesels en die ouers om te kyk watter plan ons kan maak.

Had the chemo session of hell today. Nausea was constant, and had to get extra fluids as I was severely dehydrated. So the 3 hour session was almost 5 hours long, and had to do a round of radiation therapy afterwards.

The nursing staff was very worried about my yellow color. Showing that my liver is shot. So I hope that the radiation works.

At least I will not pee a brown red wee anymore… wonder if it glows in the dark…

Hell Man, your humour in this situation continues to inspire. Let us know how we can help 

Guys we are in need of help.

I do not want to ask this, but our medical aid has been tapped. 
if anyone can help with a donation to the backabuddy fund it will help a lot. Even small amounts help. Have a bloody PCR test that Momentum does not want to pay for example because our medical funds have been depleted.

I have been booked off till Friday due to severe weakness and not being able to work. The radiation is kicking my butt. Did a few of my Intel exams today and the one was super boring and I fell asleep at my desk. When I went for my radiology appointment the asked me to collect the sick note as well.

I hope the rest will help a bit, as I am unable to carry on. 

Edited by Cois

6 minutes ago, Cois said:

Guys we are in need of help.

I do not want to ask this, but our medical aid has been tapped. 
if anyone can help with a donation to the backabuddy fund it will help a lot. Even small amounts help. Have a bloody PCR test that Momentum does not want to pay for example because our medical funds have been depleted.

I have been booked off till Friday due to severe weakness and not being able to work. The radiation is kicking my butt. Did a few of my Intel exams today and the one was super boring and I fell asleep at my desk. When I went for my radiology appointment the asked me to collect the sick note as well.

I hope the rest will help a bit, as I am unable to carry on. 

Cois, post link etc to page please?