Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

1 hour ago, Cois said:

Last night was a very sad night for me. I prayed about selling my bicycle for a while now, and did not want to let it go, but yesterday I decided to place the advert.

so I advertised for R20000. Within a few minutes Leon from Bike Market sent me an offer for R20800. He was the first person to react on the advert. I told my wife and my folks that I would be lucky to sell the bike within a month, and my prayers were also with the thought that the bike will not sell. 
so a huge thank you to BikeMarket for the offer and purchase of the bike. And best of all, beyare about 800meter from our house. 

so now the homework starts on getting a mobility scooter.  I am just a little careful as one company has a lot of alliances and one phone number. So not sure if they are legit or not. 

Cois, once all this nonsense is past, I look forward to crowd funding for your next bike with the gang here!

Hang in there!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the first time in more than 20 years (almost more like 35 years) that I do not have a bicycle.

Was sad to leave the scott between all the other steeds waiting eagerly for new owners. I just hope that the new owner looks after the scott like I did. Forgot to give its ceramic polish with it. 

Bit late to the party, not been on in a while, but just made the deposit as promised... hope it helps in some little way Cois.

Keep fighting the good fight - look forward to that post-ride beer/coffee one day! 

Seeing a company rep tonight regarding a mobility scooter.  It is one that takes apart so I will be able to get it in the car without much trouble.

Only issue is they do not want to talk price before they demo the models.  One issue I have is that they all have 4 wheels, limiting the turning radius.  But will see what they have tonight and what they ask for their scooters.

The one scooter at a cash converters was so damaged from the last time I looked at the scooter that it is not worth the money they are asking for it.  And my folks tried forcing me to go and look again at the delipidated scooter.  Not sure why they are attempting to get me to buy crap instead of quality.  Things between us are already straining.  Reinet this weekend stood up against them for wanting to run things like they want to have things done and run.  I even had to refit a wall garden that my dad fixed to the wall, but it was so skew that it fell off the wall.  So I was out yesterday morning drilling holes to fit our garden to the wall so that it was not skew (I do not have a level and my dad decided to drill and fit it as skew as he could to show his displeasure of me not owning a level.)

Sorry this became a rant against my family.  But they have this idea that I am still able to do what I could do a few years ago, and I am not.  This illness is sucking every ounce of energy out of me at this stage.

14 minutes ago, Cois said:

Seeing a company rep tonight regarding a mobility scooter.  It is one that takes apart so I will be able to get it in the car without much trouble.

Only issue is they do not want to talk price before they demo the models.  One issue I have is that they all have 4 wheels, limiting the turning radius.  But will see what they have tonight and what they ask for their scooters.

The one scooter at a cash converters was so damaged from the last time I looked at the scooter that it is not worth the money they are asking for it.  And my folks tried forcing me to go and look again at the delipidated scooter.  Not sure why they are attempting to get me to buy crap instead of quality.  Things between us are already straining.  Reinet this weekend stood up against them for wanting to run things like they want to have things done and run.  I even had to refit a wall garden that my dad fixed to the wall, but it was so skew that it fell off the wall.  So I was out yesterday morning drilling holes to fit our garden to the wall so that it was not skew (I do not have a level and my dad decided to drill and fit it as skew as he could to show his displeasure of me not owning a level.)

Sorry this became a rant against my family.  But they have this idea that I am still able to do what I could do a few years ago, and I am not.  This illness is sucking every ounce of energy out of me at this stage.

Cois, if you can, try focus on getting well and your marriage.... everything else right now (I think) is second priority.

My colleague's dad has a mobility scooter and when I heard about this, I asked if you could borrow it. Unfortunately, his uncle needs it in KZN as he also can the dreaded C. If his uncle didn't need it, you could've used it ????

Hope the scooter test drives go well and that it's a great day and week ahead- hang in there ????

13 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Cois, asked them to demo the scooter for at least a week!

To ensure it meets your needs.

Will try to ask if I can demo for a week.  It is Pride Mobility.  So not sure if they will be willing to loan it for long term or not.

50 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Cois, if you can, try focus on getting well and your marriage.... everything else right now (I think) is second priority.

My colleague's dad has a mobility scooter and when I heard about this, I asked if you could borrow it. Unfortunately, his uncle needs it in KZN as he also can the dreaded C. If his uncle didn't need it, you could've used it ????

Hope the scooter test drives go well and that it's a great day and week ahead- hang in there ????

Yep I need to focus on my Wife,  She is going through a very hard time as well.

Not a problem.  I knew that I was going to need a mobility scooter.  Just glad I still had the Scott to sell to finance the scooter.  So it was in the plans for the future.

Will keep on hanging.  Bit tough but will hang in there.  

1 hour ago, Cois said:

Cois, I am in no position to assist financially and it pains me BUT I am 100% able and willing to assist with any practical issues you may have.
Like hanging gardens to walls. You have my number, just drop a whatsapp and I can happily assist with these sort of issues where possible.

II have been admitted this morning to Wilgers hospitals oncology ward. I still have oxygen running to help me get back to health. Stronger pain management and scheduled for a CT or MRI as something is lurking sucking all my energy up.

I just vomited all the contrast out that I had to drink. On an IV feeding me. So now I might have some energy. This morning taking a shower was a lot. Had trouble drying myself off. 

On the mobility Scooter front. Healthcare and mobility Africa came and did a demo. Were lots of fun moving around without passing out? So pulled the trigger on a Pride GoGo LX model of scooter. But as always life dished out a few curveballs. Yesterday the oncologist booked me off until 31 December. So I had to make the call to cancel the scooter. So I sent the mail to cancel it. The company then contacted me and gave me a huge discount on the scooter. So I accepted the offer (thanks to everyone who paid money into my account, you helped me to be mobile again). So I can repay the money that I had to hit my credit card with as the discount came to R6500.

So to everyone, I must say a HUGE thank you! The support from you guys and girls means the world to me. Without your help and willingness to assist me and Reinet is so awesome. And with your help, I want to beat this thing! I will not go silent into that dark night!

Just saw the doctor.

The CT  Scan picked up a major problem.

there is a blockage from my stomach to my intestines, so food stays in my stomach and very little goes trough for absorption and that is why I lost a huge amount of weight. And why I keep vomiting food up. It has nowhere to go.

My port has a blood clot around it. We had a lot of trouble getting the port working for a few weeks now. And it is all caused by a blood clot around it. 
My pain meds have been changed now to IV meds and no longer by mouth. (they can’t use the rear as it is no longer connected as well)

So have a feeling that there is surgery on the horizon. Just how the surgeon will be able to assist.

But at least now we know why I have no energy and why I have a severe weakness. Food does not go where it should. And that is a problem.