Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

@BigDL you perfectly sum up what I think we all feel. Cois is a perfect gentleman when ALL the chips are down, and I can only hope to be half the man he is in the midst of this fight if I'm ever faced with his battle.

Francois, you are changing lives my friend. Really, I mean that. People are being impacted for the better because of you. It sucks that you are the one having to fight this battle, but you MUST KNOW that you are making a difference. Its not all in vain.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, BigDL said:

****, I don’t know what to say here.  I’d love to make a donation, and have been doing so through backabuddy so far, but if they are charging you to access funds, then I am reluctant to do so further through them and it’s a pain for you if I send money from here to your sa bank account. I wonder if you would be kind enough to let me cover the cost of one of you to fly to the cape and back. If you would pm me details, I can either pay the airline directly via visa or can give you my card details to make the payment.  Alternatively, if you’re happy to do the paperwork, I can transfer from here to you and cover the cost that way. 

My (unmet) friend. Every day I think of you so many times. I hug my wife and my children harder and count my blessings. Your journey and story have made me approach so much differently and, when I get stressed, I sometimes reflect on your story and have a word with myself. 

Thank you for sharing your journey. You are facing that thing we fear the most; with humour, with courage, with persistence, with a focus on your wife, and with a humility that is incredible. I don’t pretend to know how you’re feeling but hope that, if I ever get the news that you have got, I can face it with similar courage. You are an example to me and I thank you for that. 

Thanks BigDL. Means the world to me. As long as I can touch someone in any way it gladdens my heart. If I can touch lives in any way it is great. We are missing out so much every day. Even with my family being torn both geographically and emotionally it would be great to be used as an example of what not to do. I spoke to one of the nurses yesterday. She had questions on how I knew something was wrong. So I spoke to her about my journey. And it all comes down to getting to a doctor before it is too late. And mending things before it is too late.

Let me check with Reinet in the morning on what would be the best and what will work out with the least cost to you. I know the Investec account was created with the least amount of fees, but we can work a plan. I hate paying fees on anything so let's see what will work the best.

She works with international transfers every day and would know what the costs will be for funds being transferred. I know a bit of computers but the financial world and fees are a mystery to me most of the time.

Backabuddy is a great platform, and they need to pay staff and rent and all the things going with a business. But in the end, they become expensive. 

So I will get back to you ASAP on what will work the cheapest.

As much as I love bicycles and riding them, life circumstances haven't allowed me to ride since March this year and the bike gathers dust unfortunately. The only reason I head over here at the moment is to see how you doing Cois. It's heartbreaking to read through the last few pages and I don't have words to adequately describe my emotions. All I can say is all strength to you and you Mrs during this time and I pray things can improve for you to at least travel to the mountains and be at peace. I won't use the crowd funding method any longer due their fees but I have made a small donation to your investec savings.  Sharing your story on here for the last three years has made me more grateful for good health each time I read your updates. You have touched many lives and are a true inspiration.

On 10/23/2021 at 2:36 AM, Cois said:

Thanks BigDL. Means the world to me. As long as I can touch someone in any way it gladdens my heart. If I can touch lives in any way it is great. We are missing out so much every day. Even with my family being torn both geographically and emotionally it would be great to be used as an example of what not to do. I spoke to one of the nurses yesterday. She had questions on how I knew something was wrong. So I spoke to her about my journey. And it all comes down to getting to a doctor before it is too late. And mending things before it is too late.

Let me check with Reinet in the morning on what would be the best and what will work out with the least cost to you. I know the Investec account was created with the least amount of fees, but we can work a plan. I hate paying fees on anything so let's see what will work the best.

She works with international transfers every day and would know what the costs will be for funds being transferred. I know a bit of computers but the financial world and fees are a mystery to me most of the time.

Backabuddy is a great platform, and they need to pay staff and rent and all the things going with a business. But in the end, they become expensive. 

Guys, I don't comment very often on this thread, it is sometimes just too hard. Cois and I do chat occasionally, less recently, and I'm sorry about that. He knows me and my story.

What I have highlighted above is critical. I waited too long and then didn't initially get the right attention. I eventually got out the other side. But only after an unnecessarily long and harrowing fight. I was one of the lucky ones, but I'll carry the physical and mental consequences for the rest of my life.

I can't shout it loud enough: Get checked. Get the right treatment. Fight like hell. Live a good life everyday, because it can change faster than you can imagine.

Cois, you are a true warrior and a genuine human being.

Tomorrow will go onto the operating table.

Dr van Niekerk is going to replace my old port with a new port. So I will be able to do my own “feeding” at home as my current port is a bit temperamental due to a blood clot around it. So it does not provide me with a consistent flow. So it is not reliable.

it is not a huge procedure. Will be done in an hours time.  But will be going under for the procedure. 
at least I know what will happen and how things are going to happen.

19 minutes ago, Cois said:

Dr van Niekerk is going to replace my old port with a new port. So I will be able to do my own “feeding” at home as my current port is a bit temperamental due to a blood clot around it. So it does not provide me with a consistent flow. So it is not reliable.

it is not a huge procedure. Will be done in an hours time.  But will be going under for the procedure. 

HOPE you are ready for that holiday in a few days time :clap:

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

.... I can't shout it loud enough: Get checked. Get the right treatment. Fight like hell. Live a good life everyday, because it can change faster than you can imagine.

Cois, you are a true warrior and a genuine human being.

In the 25 years my mom worked in the cancer ward THIS was the one CONSTANT - EARLY DIAGNOSES IS KEY !!!!

25 minutes ago, Cois said:

I pray for a successful operation and for a speedy recovery.

On 10/23/2021 at 2:36 AM, Cois said:

Sorry if this comes across as insensitive, but do you mean sharing this part of your story. If it helps even one person here it will be valuable information.
I do know that it will be very personal and specific, so if it's an uncool request, please say so.

6 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Sorry if this comes across as insensitive, but do you mean sharing this part of your story. If it helps even one person here it will be valuable information.
I do know that it will be very personal and specific, so if it's an uncool request, please say so.

On 11/27/2018 at 6:23 PM, Cois said:

I don't want to post this but received the dreaded phone call 23 November 2018 with the confirmation.
I have been diagnosed with colon cancer. They found a 10cm tumor

Update: CT Marked the tumor as 14cm's. The cancer was found to have spread to some lymph nodes, my spleen and to my liver.

Update 2:  Primary Tumor was removed November 2019.  Liver was ablated to remove the tumor in 2020.

Update 3:  Went in for a checkup and they found new tumors.  Spread to my peritoneum.  Surgeon removed as much as he could September 2020.  Removed 40 cm of the small intestine and another 50 cm of my colon.

Update 4:  Still waiting for Momentum health (they will take you on a ride) to approve the needed chemo therapy.  We moved onto a higher option, but have not received any feedback from Momentum health.

9 February 2021 Started chemo session (I stopped counting).  It is a oral medication  taken once per day.  The worst thing that can happen is death... and a loss of all minerals in the body resulting in severe cramping.  I need to do a blood test before the next session to see if my liver will be able to handle the chemo.

Update: The side effects of the chemo was severe and thus halted.

6 April 2021:  Chemo treatment with Stivarga has been stopped.  I had a sharp increase on my CA 19-9 count and had a severe drop in Potassium and liver functions, prompting intervention from the oncologist and the treatment team.

July 2021: Started FU5 treatment. This is the second time that we are going to try this treatment even though the first round of treatment almost killed me and caused a severe problem with my liver. The last round did not effect my cancer counts at all so not sure why we are going to try the same treatment that did not work again.

September 2021: Received radiation therapy on my liver due to a new detected tumour that has formed. It was a rough 10 sessions because of severe nausea and vomiting. The vomiting caused the reduction of the enamel of my teeth causing severe pain in drinking and eating most things.

July - October 2021: Experienced a blockage the past few months leading to rapid weight loss and inability to gain weight. I have landed in the hospital twice a week due to severe weakness and inability to walk even short distances. The GP at Wilgers oncology referred me to a surgeon after I requested another opinion. I was referred to Dr Charl van Niekerk.

Sadly the spread of the cancer was severe and I am unable to be operated on. The Oncologist should have transferred my case to a surgeon on the first sign that there was a blockage. Dr Viljoen at Wilgers should also have followed up on my case as he was the attending surgeon at Wilgers Hospital, but he did not do any follow-up consultations.

The next steps will be an Elemental diet, a liquid diet, and then a port to enable me to get IV feeding going home. The elemental diet was chosen to lessen the strain on my system and to enable the nutrients to bypass the tumour that formed between my stomach and upper intestines. 

We have started looking into a new oncologist as Dr W van Zijl became distant and was absent during the last hospitalization, even after Dr Botha requested a consultation with him. He did not create a reference letter on request and Dr I Botha wrote the reference letter for me to get surgical assistance. 

As per request of a lot of members and other people... here is my BackaBuddy page

https://www.backabuddy.co.za/champion/project/francois-marais

We have created a Investec account due to the high fees of Backabuddy (https://www.backabuddy.co.za/fees)

the fees on the Investec account is marginal and Managed by PSG.  Statement will be available on request to keep this transparent.

Account Holder: Mr FH Marais
Branch: Investec Bank Limited
100 Grayston Drive,

Branch code: Sandton 580105

Client account number: 50017804320

Type of account: Savings

Hi Cois

Finally I got around to making a donation (to your Investec acct, payment should come through tomorrow), I hope you can use it to go on holiday with your loved ones.

Wishing you all the best and stay strong.

Edited by SwissVan

18 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

The most important thing is if you think something is wrong, rather go see a doctor.

I saw bleeding but thought it was just another bug in the water supply giving me a hard time.

And make sure your doctor knows of things that are wrong. The GP I saw didn’t really care about care. She was overworked. So switched to another Doctor. The doctor picked up on the 2nd visit that things were wrong.

If you have constant bowel problems rather go and see another doctor. If things does not clear up with meds there are something else that is wrong. Get the proper medical care. Get to another doctor if you see problems that does not clear up. Most doctors are just a money mill. Make sure your doctor knows your history, and just because you do not have a family history means nothing. I am on stage 4 with no family history at all.

Got a low blow today.

The diet the surgeon think I should be on from now on, means I will never eat anything again.

everything will be via a tube and will come in a bag.

so for someone loving food and something in the mouth it is a very hard blow.

we have to wait for the medical aid to approve the plan.

At this stage It seems like treating the cancer on my own with dewormer is an better option. The dietician wasn’t to happy with the proposal, and asked me I will cope, and I could only say that I will have to try and adapt and to make this work, but nothing per mouth sucks big time.

it has such a huge mental aspect that this might be the last blow for me.