Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

I dont use mine hooked to a subscription model. Rather use it to listen to audio books or catch up on you tube "stuff".  While I use it to train I am not using some goal orientated program. They are to boring.

BUT, time to figure out a plan.

Cois Zwift is about R300 per month, and truly month to month subscription.

You also get 25km free per calendar month, during those months you suspend your supscription. (I only subscribe during the winter)  Actually you get (or used to get) a free trial month.  So you will have enough time to test it out before you need to put down any money.

Slowbee touches on another "concept" of these smart trainers.

"training" vs "free riding".  The real hardcore riders obviously use the "training" programmes, afterall, it IS called in indoor TRAINER ..... that said, the rest of enjoy logging in, choose a route that suits your mood for the day (long, short, hard, flat, race, etc ....) then just enjoy the scenery on the screen in front of you while your legs turn over the peddals as hard as you can (or want to).  It is THIS interactive screen, and auto adjusting resistance levels that separates this from the ultra boring old school clamp and ride triangle-trainers.

Cois in the setup menu you can also play with the "power levels" .... at 100% it is "very real", the road turns UP, and the trainer clamps down HARD .... you need to downshift as you would in real life ....  This takes a bit of getting used to (just a bit).  IF this is an issue for you, you can reduce the power levels in the setup.  At around 25% it really is on the other extreme, the hill starts, you dont feel much of a difference (no need to use the gears), BUT your speed drops low going uphill .... some voodoo programming happening in the background.  This may well help you initially, but you will probable go back to 50% setting sooner rather than later.

FAN .... Cois, get a FAN !!!  Thank me later.

Edited by ChrisF

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Any update on getting Cois a trainer?

Hi Muttley

My cousin said that his Wife purchased a trainer on FB Marketplace but it keeps on blowing fuses and tripping the DB. I should get it this weekend, will then check if it is worth sending it in to be fixed, or if the sparky at the office can fix it or even if I can fix it myself.

If it is not worth it, I will hit the credit card for a Tacx trainer (see they are a little cheaper than Kickr). Just sad that they were purchased by Garmin or I could have gotten it at cost price.

Hi Muttley

My cousin said that his Wife purchased a trainer on FB Marketplace but it keeps on blowing fuses and tripping the DB. I should get it this weekend, will then check if it is worth sending it in to be fixed, or if the sparky at the office can fix it or even if I can fix it myself.

If it is not worth it, I will hit the credit card for a Tacx trainer (see they are a little cheaper than Kickr). Just sad that they were purchased by Garmin or I could have gotten it at cost price.

Ok perfecto!

As mentioned, I'm more than willing to contribute- I'm sure others are also so please keep us posted.

Cois Zwift is about R300 per month, and truly month to month subscription.

You also get 25km free per calendar month, during those months you suspend your supscription. (I only subscribe during the winter) Actually you get (or used to get) a free trial month. So you will have enough time to test it out before you need to put down any money.

Slowbee touches on another "concept" of these smart trainers.

"training" vs "free riding". The real hardcore riders obviously use the "training" programmes, afterall, it IS called in indoor TRAINER ..... that said, the rest of enjoy logging in, choose a route that suits your mood for the day (long, short, hard, flat, race, etc ....) then just enjoy the scenery on the screen in front of you while your legs turn over the peddals as hard as you can (or want to). It is THIS interactive screen, and auto adjusting resistance levels that separates this from the ultra boring old school clamp and ride triangle-trainers.

Cois in the setup menu you can also play with the "power levels" .... at 100% it is "very real", the road turns UP, and the trainer clamps down HARD .... you need to downshift as you would in real life .... This takes a bit of getting used to (just a bit). IF this is an issue for you, you can reduce the power levels in the setup. At around 25% it really is on the other extreme, the hill starts, you dont feel much of a difference (no need to use the gears), BUT your speed drops low going uphill .... some voodoo programming happening in the background. This may well help you initially, but you will probable go back to 50% setting sooner rather than later.

FAN .... Cois, get a FAN !!! Thank me later.

Thanks for this. Now I know a lot more than I did. I take it the R300 is per user? Still doable as cowhouse works out at R1000 per year, but the hours they are open makes it very difficult to ride there, as well as the safety aspect should I hit a health problem while out riding. As well as driving there and cutting another tyre. Even though it is only 10 km away, cycling there for Reinet is not an option, so we have to drive there. And the once a week thing does not benefit us at all. We can’t progress being a once a week family.

Agree that a fan is critical. My body has a little bit of difficulty cooling itself (one reason why I pass out easily). Comes with being anemic and the chemo I am on at the moment. I purchased a high velocity pedestal fan when the workplace was a bit stubborn to fix the air-con in my office. So I am sorted with that. We actually have two fans that move a huge volume of air. If I do midnight training sessions it should not bother Reinet as we have a fan on in the room every night. The white noise helps with sleeping.

Edited by Cois

The only reason for more subscriptions would be to keep the records separately .... easy work around.  The rides are exported to Strava / Garmin /etc.  There just select it to different bikes, IF it is important for you to keep your records separately.

I believe some of the other platforms have "family memberships".  These dont run on my basic NUC PC setup, so I cant comment on these.

PS - Zwift do allow me to register Maritz as a minor, free of charge.  Guess they may pick up if his speed and distances suddenly looked "adult" .....  For now he has to stand and ride the IDT, not swopping out bikes .... so he only plays on it every so often.

YES - Zwift beats the gym thing hands down !!!  This is actually why we got it in 2019.  Between a long winter and work I missed outdoor cycling week after week .... serious wack of cash to get the setup going, but that is long forgotten, and we now have an alternative when we cant ride outside.

My opinion: before any of the Zwiftoids sharpen their pitchforks - I do not like the avatar gamification concept. I also do not like the "free ride" thing.  

I have been using The Sufferfest since 2013 and recently tried Fulgaz for charity - I did the CTCT and got a month sub with my entry. Fulgaz has 4K videos and it is actual footage. I quite like that. So here's my list of pro's and cons of all the platforms I have tried before: 

Zwift

Pro - ......... I only used it for the trial period of like 14 days or something like that so I did not really get stuck into it to give a positive comment

Con -

• It's more expensive than both Fulgaz and Sufferfest.
  • I do not like the "free ride" concept, I want to get on the trainer, break myself & get off. 
  • I do not like the avatar thing, again its training not a game. One can easily fall into the "junk mile" groove and the fitness level will suffer. 
  • They only offer cycling on their platform. 

Again, this is my opinion 

Rouvy

I'm not even going to give a write up. It is worse than Zwift IMO. The riding experience is unrealistic and I did not enjoy my time with them

The Sufferfest

As mentioned before, I have been using their platform since 2013 and it has a lot going for it

Pro

• It is cheaper than Zwift.
  • They offer more than cycling (Strength training, yoga, Mental stuff, Tri-Athlons). 
  • They use a better test than the normal FTP test called the 4DP and this is a game changer.
  • They have actual world class coaches on their payroll.
  • The videos have very good structure and you know exactly how long you're going to suffer during the session.
  • They recently partnered with the guys from GCN and even more recently they added a whole lot of new content which is basically recovery sessions, quite cool

Con (You thought I wasn't going to mention any, weren't you  :whistling:)

• All the rides are structured around the 4DP results, so if you do not nail the test the rest of the sessions are too easy. The first time I did the 4DP on the Flow back in 2018 my FTP value of the 4DP was in my view quite high. Now close to 3 years later my FTP is close to 90W lower. My values keep on dropping even though I am getting fitter, stronger and healthier (thyroid issues). So I know that my values should actually increase. Ok, I got another trainer so that can have an effect but not that much. 
  • They don't offer any elevation gain on their videos. To me this sucks, it means every video I did since 2013 had 0 elevation gain. Yes I know that it is only numbers on a screen but still, I do not like looking at my stats over a 12 month period with the elevation gain almost the same as my distance  :blink: (not really but you get my point).
  • I've been doing it since 2013 and am bored with the platform

Fulgaz

Pro

• It's a new shinny toy. 
  • I love the concept. It is actual riders recording their ride and the platform tells you their time, so you can either take more or less time than the OP. 
  • They show elevation gain, and not just 120m over 40km, nooooo, I did a ride in the Alps on Sunday: 14km with 1360m of climbing  :eek:. I am quite stoked with the amount of climbing I can do on the platform
  • I think it is more realistic than Rouvy (the rider experience).

Con

• The Ant+ connection is crap. It drops mid ride and does not inform you. 
  • Bernard (your riding buddy) is unrealistic and stupid. He either crushes you or you crush him, it's a constant "playing around with the settings" to try and sort this. 
  • I am still on the fence about the power output, if this is accurate or not. The platform loves reducing your W's to zero or close to zero on a flat or downhill, even if you keep the power on the pedals.
  • They don't really have training plans or proper coaches. Their training plans are not very good.

My opinion: before any of the Zwiftoids sharpen their pitchforks - I do not like the avatar gamification concept. I also do not like the "free ride" thing.  

I have been using The Sufferfest since 2013 and recently tried Fulgaz for charity - I did the CTCT and got a month sub with my entry. Fulgaz has 4K videos and it is actual footage. I quite like that. So here's my list of pro's and cons of all the platforms I have tried before: 

Zwift

Pro - ......... I only used it for the trial period of like 14 days or something like that so I did not really get stuck into it to give a positive comment

Con -

• I do not like the "free ride" concept, I want to get on the trainer, break myself & get off. 
  • I do not like the avatar thing, again its training not a game. One can easily fall into the "junk mile" groove and the fitness level will suffer. 

Rouvy

I'm not even going to give a write up. It is worse than Zwift IMO. The riding experience is unrealistic and I did not enjoy my time with them

The Sufferfest

As mentioned before, I have been using their platform since 2013 and it has a lot going for it

Pro

• They offer more than cycling (Strength training, yoga, Mental stuff, Tri-Athlons). 
  • They use a better test than the normal FTP test called the 4DP and this is a game changer.
  • The videos have very good structure and you know exactly how long you're going to suffer during the session.
  • They recently partnered with the guys from GCN and even more recently they added a whole lot of new content which is basically recovery sessions, quite cool

• All the rides are structured around the 4DP results, so if you do not nail the test the rest of the sessions are too easy. The first time I did the 4DP on the Flow back in 2018 my FTP value of the 4DP was in my view quite high. Now close to 3 years later my FTP is close to 90W lower. My values keep on dropping even though I am getting fitter, stronger and healthier (thyroid issues). So I know that my values should actually increase. Ok, I got another trainer so that can have an effect but not that much. 
  • They don't offer any elevation gain on their videos. To me this sucks, it means every video I did since 2013 had 0 elevation gain. Yes I know that it is only numbers on a screen but still, I do not like looking at my stats over a 12 month period with the elevation gain almost the same as my distance  :blink: (not really but you get my point).

Fulgaz

Pro

• It's a new shinny toy. 
  • I love the concept. It is actual riders recording their ride and the platform tells you their time, so you can either take more or less time than the OP. 
  • They show elevation gain, and not just 120m over 40km, nooooo, I did a ride in the Alps on Sunday: 14km with 1360m of climbing  :eek:. I am quite stoked with the amount of climbing I can do on the platform

Con

• Bernard (your riding buddy) is unrealistic and stupid. He either crushes you or you crush him, it's a constant "playing around with the settings" to try and sort this. 
  • I am still on the fence about the power output, if this is accurate or not. The platform loves reducing your W's to zero or close to zero on a flat or downhill, even if you keep the power on the pedals.
  • They don't really have training plans or proper coaches. Their training plans are not very good.

Awesome feedback and quite comprehensive! Well done. Not wanting to digress from the importance of supporting Cois - I have used Tacx Desktop App, Rouvy, Zwift and Fulgaz quite extensively. I am now set on FulGaz. It has a family plan (2 users I think) and the rides/videos are really GOOD! I stream most of the time at 4K - no issues (ok I have fast fibre connection - sorry!) Many of us (well me specifically) just do not have a ton of time to go out on the road so an indoor ride is the perfect alternative. When one just wants to go for a 90 minute ride, do not care about coaching, not too fussed if power readings are not 100% accurate, don't want to listen to some buddy in the background giving comments etc - FulGaz is perfect. I ride Bluetooth and have not had ONE disconnect ever. I ride against myself so all the bells and whistles does not matter to me -  I am sure many others will want this - I don't. I just want to ride and measure myself. And FulGaz fits the bill! Literally hundreds of videos all over the world. And their support is awesome (mailed them tons of times). Back to Cois - all the best and thinking of you a lot! 

Edited by pedal menace

Zwift

Con -

Rouvy

The Sufferfest

Pro

Fulgaz

Pro

• It's a new shinny toy. 

Con

Zwiftoid here :ph34r:

I use Zwift as a platform as I purchase training plans from trainingpeaks.

I do the occasional Zwift event but it's more about the training for me.

You can run on Zwift now - with a footpod/fancy treadmill me thinks.

Either way, I think all platforms have a trial version so Cois can try em all and see what works for him :thumbup:

Robert there are many out there that echo your centiments. Especially the hardcore athletes that want the best training plans ....

As the ultimate weekend rider I love the free ride concept ... though I do often test myself on the same routes. Not a structured program, stil a way to measure my progress.

Surely one size does not fit all.  But is that not what makes this such an interesting era to live in .... options for each of our unique perceptions and requirements.

Edited by ChrisF

Received my latest blood result.

Things are not looking to good.

My cancer count (CA 19-9) went from 407 to 667 in a month.

I am truly devastated with the result. I have an oncologist appointment on Tuesday morning to hear what the next step will be, but I guess an MRi to gauge the progression and new metastasis, and to determine in I will continue the next rounds of Stivarga or not

Edited by Cois

Received my latest blood result.

Things are not looking to good.

My cancer count went from 407 to 667 in a month.

I am truly devastated with the result. I have an oncologist appointment on Tuesday morning to hear what the next step will be, but I guess an MRi to gauge the progression and new metastasis, and to determine in I will continue the next rounds of Stivarga or not

So sorry to hear this, keep fighting Cois.

We collected the trainer yesterday.

It is a wheel-on trainer. It was originally purchased in 2011.

It is a Tacx Fortius.

The issue it has is the power-pack. It keeps on blowing the input fuse.

We will check the internals tomorrow to see if there is a short or cap that was blown on the inside.

Reinet will be able to use the trainer as it supports QR and not thru-axel. But will check if I can get an adapter, if we can fix the power-pack.

Just sad that people will sell stuff on Facebook Marketplace that is broken. That guy is just like Cash Converters that sells broken merchandise to clients (Looking at you Menlyn branch of Cash Converters)

My treatment has been stopped.

My potassium fell below the threshold. The oncologist wanted to admit me to hospital to monitor me. But we settled on three drips to replenish me.

So I am sitting watching the liquid running into a tube to my port.

He did not know how I was able to walk or even remain standing. Knew this morning when I could not wake up that something was very very wrong. Last night was also the first time in a very long time that I needed to take pain medication.