Cost Effective "to see" front light

madbradd

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a cost effective "to see" light. I have a decent 2 piece light, but looking for something which is a bit more compact - ie a 1 piece light where it is easy to get on and off to charge. The light will be used mainly for road riding in the mornings, so will need up to 90 mins battery life for winter mornings. When used for MTB, it would probably be used on the Spruit, so nothing too technical.

If anyone has any experience the lights below or a similar option, it would be greatly appreciated.

Something like:

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/lights/products/lezyne-macro-drive-800xl-front-light

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/lights/products/lezyne-lite-drive-700xl-front-light

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/lights/products/ryder-alumia-ii-650-lumens-front-light

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/lights/products/ryder-concept-900-lumen-light

I haven't used any of the above but used a Cateye bar mount one for a few years - two to be exact.  Both failed where they attached to the bar from the weight and road vibrations.  Bought a Chinese two pack 800 lunmen one which is fine for the road - four years on the same battery pack and still going strong.  Have a Marvel one (R360-00 from CWC) as a back up.  I won't go back to a single unit.

Lezyne Macro or Blackburn Countdown 1600 FTW. Serfas are also worth looking at.The Ryders aren't bad, but the battery life sucks.

Both Lezyne and Blackburn can run while charging as well, so if you need more juice on the go you can just plug in a power bank.

I'm in the market too, how long does the rider lights last. Looking in the bracket of R500.

Something simple and just working for MTB

I'm in the market too, how long does the rider lights last. Looking in the bracket of R500.

Something simple and just working for MTB

In that range the Ryder Alumina 650 looks great, but unfortunately I don't have a review.

I think I'll be going for the Lezyne Macro 800XL on Droo's recommendation - unless I can get a review on the ryders.

In that range the Ryder Alumina 650 looks great, but unfortunately I don't have a review.

I think I'll be going for the Lezyne Macro 800XL on Droo's recommendation - unless I can get a review on the ryders.

Thanks for your input, what's your take on the Ryder that's for sale in the classifieds section. I'm just looking for something basic. Something I can just recharge via USB at hone after a 1-2 hour ride. Just something decent

I had a Ryder torch used as a helmet light which just stopped working. Chinese junk in my opinion. Never had that with a light before even the Chinese generics. 

The Blackburn Countdown I use now and can vouch for. Quality item and easy to use. As said you can plug a power pack in for more time. It also gives a visual of minutes left which is nice. Will be good for road and I use it for mtb nothing too technical at night along with a smaller helmet light this time a Fenix flashlight which is well made.

Lezyne Macro or Blackburn Countdown 1600 FTW. Serfas are also worth looking at.The Ryders aren't bad, but the battery life sucks.

Both Lezyne and Blackburn can run while charging as well, so if you need more juice on the go you can just plug in a power bank.

Edited by scubes

Thanks for your input, what's your take on the Ryder that's for sale in the classifieds section. I'm just looking for something basic. Something I can just recharge via USB at hone after a 1-2 hour ride. Just something decent

I can't find one in classifieds?

I had similar thoughts. The two Ryder lights I linked to are similar.

Oh I see that now.  Should work well, although if they all the same price/spec I rather go LED Lenser, as lighting is their speciality.