Reckless Riders

Malmens

Im not sure how other riders feel about absolute idiots on their bikes. Daily (worse over weekends) on the popular Botha Rd in Centurion i see dozens of riders skipping stop streets, red lights and riding 3,4 abreast with not a care in the world, its ridiculous-i wonder if clubs couldnt police reckless riding and revoke or suspend their racing licenses?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure how other riders feel about absolute idiots on their bikes. Daily (worse over weekends) on the popular Botha Rd in Centurion i see dozens of riders skipping stop streets, red lights and riding 3,4 abreast with not a care in the world, its ridiculous-i wonder if clubs couldnt police reckless riding and revoke or suspend their racing licenses?

Nice first post  :clap:

Do you ever confront the taxis and pedestrians that act irrational?

you ever jumped a robot? text and drive? drink and drive? ever missed a deadline? forgot to pray before you eat......

WARNING It is Groundhog day! Run for the hills! Tomorrow will be exactly the same! 

Valid observations there are some riders that cycle reckless. Some clubs do police their members however even if they all did a larger majority, myself included, do not belong to clubs, the group I ride with police ourselves. Cyclists with racing licenses are a very small minority and is only needed when racing in official cycle races, not everyday recreational and commuter cycling. 

Welcome !!

Great 1st post.

How can we help?

OP seemed to wonder how they could help a bit... it wasn't a b!tch and moan session about some random bad service...

To OP: why not contact some local clubs and make your point known... take photos too... do NOT confront offenders directly... you'll just get vloeked and you'll have your day ruined...

Some people are just stupid - just accept that.

I came across a kid in Bridge Cycles kit cycling down the M3 in Cape Town at 8am last week - interesting challenge joining a road at 100kph in peak hour with a kid on a road bike cycling across the onramp.

Natural selection?

Same goes for the motorcyclists doing 300kmh on highways

Same goes for the idiots not maintaining their cars

Same goes for the people smoking and drinking excessively.

Remove all warning labels and let the world sort itself out the good ol fashioned way maybe?

Nice first post  :clap:

Do you ever confront the taxis and pedestrians that act irrational?

What about mentality is part of the problem in SA. We should have a broken window approach and eventually everything will fall into place,

The first replies to this perfectly describe the problem with many cyclists today, the mentality of:

• "Other road users don't obey the rules so it's ok for us not to", and
  • "It's everyone else's fault not ours"

The fact that we are 100x more vulnerable to the effects of any accident should dictate that we do everything possible to keep ourselves safe, follow the rules, watch out for what's going on around us and anticipate what might endanger us.

The first replies to this perfectly describe the problem with many cyclists today, the mentality of:

• "Other road users don't obey the rules so it's ok for us not to", and
  • "It's everyone else's fault not ours"

The fact that we are 100x more vulnerable to the effects of any accident should dictate that we do everything possible to keep ourselves safe, follow the rules, watch out for what's going on around us and anticipate what might endanger us.

Boom!!! 14 posts in and serving it up to the old guard...

Natural selection?

Same goes for the motorcyclists doing 300kmh on highways

Same goes for the idiots not maintaining their cars

Same goes for the people smoking and drinking excessively.

Remove all warning labels and let the world sort itself out the good ol fashioned way maybe?

That will never be a solution hey, because of collateral. What if said idiot doesn't maintain their car and runs over your hypothetical child?

Admin, please merge this thread with the "skipping red lights" thread :whistling:

edit: providing a link to the existing thread covering the same topic:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/178871-jumping-lights/

Edited by Dirkitech