Sram GX / XO1 / XX1 12 Speed mileage

ct_rider

On 5/2/2021 at 7:45 PM, DuncanCT said:

Not sure if it has been discussed here before but it there any opinion about aluminum vs steel chain ring on longevity of the chain and cassette?

Ive never had a chainring wear a chain...but I have had a chain wear a chainring...

I just had to replace my chainring yesterday as when I put a new chain and cassette on the chainring was making a horrible grinding noise (yes it squeaky clean) New steel chainring and its as smooth as new bike. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Here you can see the upper pulley is spaced towards the outside (sorry about the mess, the new chain was freshly waxed waiting for it's day)

image.jpeg.c09df4e9aa4599bd5c8db5d3b5529ef8.jpeg

There's your problem. Pulley wheel should be flush against the inner cage. Pull the cage apart and make sure the spacer with the bigger hole in it fits over the nipple on the cage - check the pic from Garbaruk in my previous post for reference.

Edited by droo

37 minutes ago, droo said:

There's your problem. Pulley wheel should be flush against the inner cage. Pull the cage apart and make sure the spacer with the bigger hole in it fits over the nipple on the cage - check the pic from Garbaruk in my previous post for reference.

mmmh okay I think I understand now, found the manual you've extracted the pic from, looks like my cage is using the sram pulleys and not the garbaruk ones (because the garbaruk are exactly the same on both sides). I'll try changing the upper pulley for the sram one see what happens, thanks 

Edited by Jbr

26 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

Have you checked the hanger alignment out of interest

no, it's brand new and was working fine with the old chain.

So the spacing is built-in the inner cage, and the sram pulley, just like the garbaruk one is the same on both side around the bearings, no matter which way I put the pulley in it’s not flush against the inside of the cage.

I'm starting to think screw the garbaruk I'll put the original 2kg cage that at least works 🤣

Before I do that I'll investigate if it's possible to get the derailleur to learn to use it's full range, right now it's not going all the way to the limit screw that is already quite a bit in, that doesn't seem normal, if it was resting further out it would probably solve my problem

Edited by Jbr

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

So the spacing is built-in the inner cage, and the sram pulley, just like the garbaruk one is the same on both side around the bearings, no matter which way I put the pulley in it’s not flush against the inside of the cage.

I'm starting to think screw the garbaruk I'll put the original 2kg cage that at least works 🤣

Before I do that I'll investigate if it's possible to get the derailleur to learn to use it's full range, right now it's not going all the way to the limit screw that is already quite a bit in, that doesn't seem normal, if it was resting further out it would probably solve my problem

Unrelated question on those Lun wheels, do you know if they came with the spacer when you ordered them? I have a set on their way at the moment and I'd live to fit them as soon as I get them and not have to drive around Cape Town looking for a spacer.

3 minutes ago, michaelbiker said:

Unrelated question on those Lun wheels, do you know if they came with the spacer when you ordered them? I have a set on their way at the moment and I'd live to fit them as soon as I get them and not have to drive around Cape Town looking for a spacer.

Nope, initially I bought them with the 11spd hub, then I moved my AXS and ordered the XDR hub. I only remembered when you mentionned it that that spacer was needed for the eagle cassette

4 hours ago, Jbr said:

It's not the pulley wheel, it's the spacers that fit over the bearings. 3 of them have small holes, 1 of them has a big hole. Fit the one with the big hole over the tit on the cage and the thing will look like the picture with no gaps.

The caps that cover the bearings on the pulley wheels are all the same, both on the garbaruk and on the gx axs stock cage, maybe on the older mechanical derailleurs there was one a bit deeper, but not on mine

18 hours ago, Jbr said:

The caps that cover the bearings on the pulley wheels are all the same, both on the garbaruk and on the gx axs stock cage, maybe on the older mechanical derailleurs there was one a bit deeper, but not on mine

Sorry to be that guy, but did you check all four of the washers/spacers? 

8 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Sorry to be that guy, but did you check all four of the washers/spacers? 

mmmh only the upper pulleys

mmmh indeed, one of the bottom ones has a wider hole, I swapped that one with the inner on my original upper jockey wheel and it sits nicely in the garbaruk cage, let's see. What's weird is that the garbaruk wheels have the same thing (wider hole on the lower/bigger jockey wheel), but those bearing covers can't be removed (not great for servicing), or at least I couldn't take them off. So right now I'm using a sram upper wheel and a garbaruk lower wheel, let's see if it works better. Thanks for the tip, I guess you learn every day 🤣