Sram GX / XO1 / XX1 12 Speed mileage

ct_rider

Have about 9 000km on a XO1 casette and XX1 chainring. I have been rotating three chains (2 x XO1 chains and one GX chain-which I took out of rotation, because of higher wear). I have now had a few chain drops and I am thinking of only replacing the chainring and see if that solves the problem. Should I consider getting two new XX1/XO1 chains to start with the new chainring and hope the casette is still ok, or do I just continue with the current 2x chains till the casette needs replacing?

I guess it will probably depend on the wear on the chains....and If they are still within the 0.5% then replacing with two new ones should be ok, if over 0.5 then probably to late..?
Would you agree with my logic and which DM chainring would you suggest?

Edited by Chain-L

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Chain-L said:

Have about 9 000km on a XO1 casette and XX1 chainring. I have been rotating three chains (2 x XO1 chains and one GX chain-which I took out of rotation, because of higher wear). I have now had a few chain drops and I am thinking of only replacing the chainring and see if that solves the problem. Should I consider getting two new XX1/XO1 chains to start with the new chainring and hope the casette is still ok, or do I just continue with the current 2x chains till the casette needs replacing?

I guess it will probably depend on the wear on the chains....and If they are still within the 0.5% then replacing with two new ones should be ok, if over 0.5 then probably to late..?
Would you agree with my logic and which DM chainring would you suggest?

If you have been replacing before 0.5% then your cassette should be fine for another chain cycle.

If you ave been running the chains over 0.5% then likely the cassette is damaged. The only way to know for sure is to replace the chains, with a new chain ring and then check for rear sprocket skipping. If it skips then save the old  drive train parts chains and cassette for winter and squeeze more life out of them that  way.

In the other thread you posted about a Chaining for a SRAM Ai crankset. The best best is a SRAM Xsync2 6mm offset DM for this crankset. Those rings last a lot longer than other brands. They did their homework on the tooth profile for this product

Good luck !