andreas17777

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to detract from the thread, but...

There are 2 sets of rules, depending on the type of circle:

1... traffic calming (small) circles... 1st at the circle should enter the circle 1st...

2... large circles (think Welkom style)... vehicle from the right (vehicle already in circle) has right of way...

Not true .. well not here, its always yield to the right.

Edit:   Just noticed they changed the signs here to mini circle signs and not old yield to right signs … goes to show, I don't drive enough in my car

Edited by Karman de Lange

Botswana has lots of traffic circles. Traffic flows extremely well with very little backlog.

But people know how to drive in Botswana..

Yeah, they best be. The cops take no drama and permanent road blocks / traffic check points

You will notice the distinct correlation between people adhering to the law and the law being enforced.

You will notice the distinct correlation between people adhering to the law and the law being enforced.

Which brings to mind an incident I had a year ago.

I pulled up to a traffic cop and asked him why he wasn't pulling over the driver in the car next to him. He then wanted to arrest me for obstructing justice because he claimed to be observing the driver and was deciding when to pull the vehicle over.  It was BS off course but he wanted to stretch his authority.

However, recently I have run into a few pals who I haven't been able to contact for a week. Apparently they had their mobile phones confiscated due to driving and texting....

Which brings to mind an incident I had a year ago.

I pulled up to a traffic cop and asked him why he wasn't pulling over the driver in the car next to him. He then wanted to arrest me for obstructing justice because he claimed to be observing the driver and was deciding when to pull the vehicle over.  It was BS off course but he wanted to stretch his authority.

However, recently I have run into a few pals who I haven't been able to contact for a week. Apparently they had their mobile phones confiscated due to driving and texting....

Cops do that, they don't like best told if they wrong, must be be loop hole but it is obstruction.

If they catch using you phone, then they can take it away. Needs to happen more often though

I came across the accident scene after it happened, and it got me thinking as to what could be done to minimise this type of unfortunate accident. Just some ideas ...

- a prominent Warning Sign for cyclists at the top of Suikerbossie (possibly sighted where most everyone stops to have a drink etc), and well before they are prone to building up speed, warning them of the traffic light danger down the hill.

- a prominent Warning Sign for motorists at the relevant traffic lights, warning them of cyclists and other traffic dangers to their right.

- remove or trim the bushes that obscure the view of both cyclists and motorists at this point, and/or install a two-way traffic mirror.

- adjust the traffic light timing appropriately to give cyclists and motorists a reasonable amount of time to take action.

I came across the accident scene after it happened, and it got me thinking as to what could be done to minimise this type of unfortunate accident. Just some ideas ...

- a prominent Warning Sign for cyclists at the top of Suikerbossie (possibly sighted where most everyone stops to have a drink etc), and well before they are prone to building up speed, warning them of the traffic light danger down the hill.

- a prominent Warning Sign for motorists at the relevant traffic lights, warning them of cyclists and other traffic dangers to their right.

- remove or trim the bushes that obscure the view of both cyclists and motorists at this point, and/or install a two-way traffic mirror.

- adjust the traffic light timing appropriately to give cyclists and motorists a reasonable amount of time to take action.

Useful aspects to consider as it might help at least a few, but wont eliminate the dangers.

Risk can never be eliminated but it can be identified and managed.

For one the route is full of cyclists so why not have a dedicated cycle lane on both sides of the road? With the green surface motorists are at least aware of the presence of cyclists

Being my ‘hood, I loved going top to bottom without touching the brakes, but since Phillip’s passing I must be honest I think twice.

Especially now over Christmas season, be careful out there peeps, lots of Vaalies [emoji51] and taxis on that road

I wonder about the road traffic engineering and policy guidelines for installing traffic lights on a long downhill stretch of road like that. Edinburgh drive has various intersections but its hardly as long as Suikerbossie. Seems like a really bad idea to me. 

I wonder about the road traffic engineering and policy guidelines for installing traffic lights on a long downhill stretch of road like that. Edinburgh drive has various intersections but its hardly as long as Suikerbossie. Seems like a really bad idea to me. 

Sounds like actually a great reason for the traffic lights, it has made life safer for all road users.

Especially as I would assume that it is now much safer for drivers coming out of that road, which previously had to risk coming into the road without a clear view what is coming down the road.

I think as cyclists we should also air on the side of caution. Quite honestly, anyone who approaches an intersection at speed, irrespective of the colour of the traffic light, is a potential accident waiting to happen.

Edited by Fond_TF2

I think as cyclists we should also air on the side of caution. Quite honestly, anyone who approaches an intersection at speed, irrespective of the colour of the traffic light, is a potential accident waiting to happen.

True, but how does one take into consideration things out of your control. Like if the light changes much faster than one is expecting. So, you cruising at 45km/h nothing silly, then all of a sudden light changes and not able to stop before the line.

True, but how does one take into consideration things out of your control. Like if the light changes much faster than one is expecting. So, you cruising at 45km/h nothing silly, then all of a sudden light changes and not able to stop before the line.

You would hope that the driver from the other side is not driving a Tesla with some serious acceleration and that his reaction time gives you sufficient time to get over the line.  Else if you approaching a light you need to slow down so that you can make a safe stop before the line in the event the light changes.

For example my approach both the car and the bike, as I approach a traffic light I put a mental line in the road, whereas if the light changes before I get to the line I stop no matter what (ideally not with someone close to the backside of my car), if over the line I don't stop.  The again, I think that ANY intersection you need to be careful as someone might miss the red and drive straight across without stopping