[Event] Houwhoek MTB Tour

Johan Kriegler

Event Name: Houwhoek MTB Tour
When: 4 May 2019 - 5 May 2019
Where: Houwhoek Hotel, Western Cape
Category: MTB

The Houw Hoek Tour is a non-competitive 2 day MTB stage event. The objective is to give MTB’s and newcomers to multi-stage events (NOT NEWCOMERS TO MTB) the opportunity to enjoy a weekend of scenic, fun and non-competitive riding. However, make sure that you are fit as each of the two stages are approximately 50 km, mostly on gravel roads (including jeep and single tracks) and that you can and love riding single tracks.

Go to Event Page

• 2 months later...

Did it last year, definitely on the list this year. Great event, great trails, just make sure you "seed" yourself properly.

Any status update on the trails at Paul Cluver? I heard the Botriver fire burned up to the amphitheatre there, and some areas of Oak Valley. Those little bridges on the red route is magical, it would be tragic if they are no more.

This is the best introduction you could ask for in terms of Stage riding... Its very relaxed, great vibes at the end of each day... Done this event for the last 5 or 6 years.. Thats how good it is.. 

Race entries limited to 900 riders.

According to race organisers, only about 175-200 entries left.

The houw hoek inn also has extra capacity now to provide capacity at the start/finish/start for Day 1 - i stayed in the new part of the hotel recently and its really nice.

I partially agree that this is affordable stage racing in that the entry is cheap compared - but having to pay for accomodation and logistics around finishing in Hermanus and making your way back to Hoew Hoek is a bit of a schlep.

This is the best introduction you could ask for in terms of Stage riding... Its very relaxed, great vibes at the end of each day... snip...

this... highly recommended.

It's a lot of fun. Will miss it this year I think but I've done it three times. Last year rode back to Houwhoek from the finish on the road which was more fun than one might initially think.

Bad news: Paul Cluver is closed for mtb. Most of the bridges have been destroyed by the fire.

They are rebuilding, and will open some areas over time.