Outriders Group taken out by bakkie on Melkbos Link

WKNDWRRR

Please be safe out there guys and gals. Our Saturday morning club ride ended abruptly on a sour note this morning when a bakkie drifted into the yellow lane and took out our group and about 5 of us hit the tar.

This was on the stretch of road that connects the N7 to Melkbosstrand. A couple of the guys in the group ended up with severe road rash, torn clothing and broken bikes but thankfully so far no-one has reported any broken bones, but that could change as they are still getting checked out by their doctors. The bakkie that drifted into us didn't even bother to stop and only returned about 10 minutes later because other vehicles chased him down.

When he did arrive he was aggressive and seemed to be slurring his words. This is pure conjecture but I suspect there was alcohol involved. The worst part is that the driver seems to be a fellow cyclist because he was wearing a Tankwa Trek top and looked the part. We have reported it to the police, hopefully they follow up. Surely this is a clear violation of the new 1 meter law? Any way, just very glad that we all made it home alive and most of us relatively unscathed.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, sorry to hear, glad every one is OK.

I am not sure what section you referring to, but if there is a cycle lane, then you are required to use it by law.

The 1m rule only applies where there is no cycle lane/path or if its on the road or separated by a kerb.

I am not sure what section you referring to, but if there is a cycle lane, then you are required to use it by law.

The 1m rule only applies where there is no cycle lane/path or if its on the road or separated by a kerb.

100% correct, but the roadie heroes out there will probably slash your tires for telling such truths. see those types many times along the R27. They mos better than anyone.

However, the link road (M19/ melkbosstrand road) between the N7 and melkbos only has yellow line demarcated emergency lanes: no dedicated bike lane. Bakkie dude has to account for himself, hopefully from jail. It's a good start if no one seems seriously injured. Hope it stays that way.

Holy cr@p!  Sorry to hear and I'm glad that it wasn't worse.  Never nice to hear of this incidents.  

Speedy recovery!

That section between N 7 and Melkbosstrand has NO cycle lane but does have a 2.5 m yellow line

Can users learn from the Suikerbossie thread and not turn this into a road rules debate, please?

It’s a moment for empathy, care and words in kindness.

All the best with the recovery from road rash, cyclists.

As well as healing from the shock of what happened. ????

Well said!

Best healing thoughts to the riders that went down!

Can users learn from the Suikerbossie thread and not turn this into a road rules debate, please?

As well as healing from the shock of what happened.

Hope the oke goes to jail. 5 cases of not passing cyclists by the required 1m. Then driving in the yellow lane. Then fleeing the scene of crime. Scum.

Completely agreed and a 2.5m line, no excuse for not avoiding. One could argue it was deliberate

As well as healing from the shock of what happened.

There's a theological proverb that  says there are 3 forms of action to right a wrong:, by your hand, by your words, and by your thoughts. And that by thought alone is the worst form of faith. Discussing the details is stage2, that hopefully leads us to stage1, but you want us stuck at the bottom.

There's place for the going out of hearts and prayers, but the real value to the rest of us not imemdiately affected by the circumstances under discussion, is understanding what went wrong so that we as road users (whether 4 or 2-wheeled), don't make the same mistakes, or succumb to them.