Cannondale Warranty Issue. I need advice.

JohanDiv

Hi guys,

I'm not here to complain, just need some advice and the thoughts of my fellow hubbers on the following:

I recently bought a new Cannondale Caadx 105 gravelbike as my secondary bike. Love the capabilities of this bike, BUT, it took a bit of time to get the bike setup working "correctly". 

The day I bought the bike from the bikeshop(45km from my home), I took it around the block before buying, shifting the gears and feeling if I'm comfortable on the bike. Stupidly I didn't shift all the way through the heavy gears because I was just going around the block. All seemed good.

The next morning I went for my first ride, 3km in I realized that the crank is running "wobbly" and the front derailleur is making a horrible scratching noise every time I'm pedaling with my right foot in the heavier gears. I continued to ride the rest of the 30km in the lighter gears to avoid the scratching sounds. 

I took the bike back to the shop so they can make the necessary adjustments to sort out the scratching. 

The bike came back, and still the scratching was there, they couldn't adjust it enough to stop scratching.

A week later(because of the distance from where I live) I took it back again so they can have another crack at it.

Left the bike there for a week, got it back, and the scratching was a lot better and was running silently for 98% of the time. I'm not sure what they did to fix it..

So, a couple of weeks of trouble free riding later and just 300km on the clock as it's only my secondary bike, I pulled away in a rather heavy gear at a traffic light I stopped at, and the chain fell off. When I tried to put the chain back on, I realized the big chain ring up front literally bent under my pedal stroke!! How is that even possible? Will post pics later.

Send the bike back to the shop because surely this is some kind of defect? They send it to Cannondale to asses for warranty claim. After two weeks Cannondale gets back to the shop and tells them that the damage is not consistent with what I'm saying, and that it had to take some impact to look like that?!! I've hardly even taken the bike on a dirt road yet, nevermind hitting or impacting something!

The bikeshop is also refusing to replace the ring, apparently it's out of their hands when it comes to warranty issues. Even after asking them nicely if this is really their position with a client that has spent more than R100k at their shop in the last 5 months, they just offered my a replacement ring at "cost price".

So I guess my questions are the following:

1) Is Cannondale serious? Is there a way I can get into contact with them directly about this?

2) Is this maybe an assembly issue, and my bikeshop should come to the party to replace the ring at their expense?

3) Or am I just expecting too much from people these days, accept that this is the standard nowadays, pay for the chainring, and move on with my life(Without this bikeshop and Cannondale in it)? This really doesn't feel fair.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is crap one indeed, I would request a meeting with the rep (think it's Omnico) in the bike shop and chat through this - that way you cit through all the to and fro rubbish..

The bike shop also has the short history so they can shed some light in your presence.

What are your rights in respect of the CPA if you choose to go that route?

Welcome to OMNICO, don't expect any joy with them whatsoever. :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

If the bikeshop isn't going to help you out, just pay and move on, Put it down to school fees around what brands to buy in SA

Not sure if this is applicable in this case?

IMPLIED WARRANTY OF QUALITY

The Consumer Protection Act provides for an implied warranty of quality. In terms of this warranty the producer/importer, distributor and retailer each warrant that the goods comply with the requirements and standards outlined in the CPA. Failed, unsafe or defective goods may be returned to the supplier within six months after the delivery of the goods to a Consumer. The Consumer has the choice to be refunded, or have the goods replaced or repaired.

Cannondale have replaced 2 bikes for me.  Flash with painted damage and scalpel that cracked

Both times spoke to Lionel at Omnico,  He handles the claims.  If they dont replace he can give you a explanation.

Check the website, phone the switchboard and get this number  

Omnico has always gone above an beyond to help me.  They are not bad when it comes to backing up their products.

In my experience spanning over 20+ years riding bikes of all shapes and sizes, I have never ever seen anyone bend a chainring by peddling hard.  Ever.

So the gut feel is the front derailleur was not aligned correctly or the derailleur touched the chainring or there was in fact an impact on the ring or the chain got stuck between the chainring and the derailleur.

Gut feel says bike setup and not anything to do with poor manufacturing i.e warranty.

Edited by Asio

I’ve e also had excellent service from Omnico with regards to a previous Cannondale of mine.

Frame replacement in 3 days.

If there is was a problem with the crank then every bike manufacturer or agent will sent you to the crank manufacturers ( sram or shimano and good luck with that)

I still think it’s a bike shop problem.

Sounds like bike wasn’t checked properly 1st time when built up or second or 3 rd time

Edited by stringbean

Welcome to OMNICO, don't expect any joy with them whatsoever. :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

If the bikeshop isn't going to help you out, just pay and move on, Put it down to school fees around what brands to buy in SA

Why do you assume it is an Omnico issue? Its a bent chainring, so more than likely if it is a component issue it will be a Sram or Shimano issue. Besides with the info provided it sounds more bikeshop ( setup ) related. Also in almost every case of a bent chainring it is impact or a bad shift related

I’ve e also had excellent service from Omnico with regards to a previous Cannondale of mine.

Frame replacement in 3 days.

If there is was a problem with the crank then every bike manufacturer or agent will sent you to the crank manufacturers ( sram or shimano and good luck with that)

I still think it’s a bike shop problem.

Sounds like bike wasn’t checked properly 1st time when built up or second or 3 rd time

I'm also leaning towards bikeshop problem..but how do I get them to come to the table?

Will Lionel from Omnico be able to put pressure on them from his side? I mean if they are happy to show away a client that literally spends over R100k in a few months at them, I don't know what will have an effect on them.

Btw, it's a Cannondale SI crank.

Why do you assume it is an Omnico issue? Its a bent chainring, so more than likely if it is a component issue it will be a Sram or Shimano issue. Besides with the info provided it sounds more bikeshop ( setup ) related. Also in almost every case of a bent chainring it is impact or a bad shift related

shifting blame to OP? (no pun intended), he stated that he had a concern at the outset 

I never stated it was an OMNICO issue, what I did state is that from personal experience if you waiting for them to assist you should rather give up and move on with your life.

Could very well be setup, could be damage, could be the phases of the moon, but hoping that they are going to make it better for you is wasting your time