Thule bike rack on a Jetta ?

ChrisF

I have the 3-bike platform rack, and have used this extensively on the RAV.  It is ideal for anything but long gravel roads - just too much fine dust on the drive train ....

Thus I got the Thuli roofmounted bike racks for the RAV.  Well, to be more accurate, I got the Thuli ProRide bike racks that fit onto the Thuli cross bars.

RAV is now replaced with the Jetta .... The Jetta ticks MANY boxes and puts a smile on my dial .... but, oops, it is low .... The platform rack has already bottomed out twice ....

So now I am wondering about getting two crossbars for the Jetta and fitting the ProRide bike racks ....

Obviously there is a fuel penalty when the bikes are fitted.  Wondering if this will be more than the penalty with the bikes on the platform rack .... it certainly is way more on a sedan than it was on the SUV shaped RAV .....

On the RAV the cross bars had virtually no effect on the fuel consumption - without the bikes on the roof.  Wondering what effect the cross bars will have on the Jetta fuel consumption ...

Feedback from those that have gone down this road will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ChrisF

If you've got a towbar with the ball mounted on a base-plate then you could always mount the ball higher, possibly with an adaptor plate.

... ignore this suggestion if you've got a gooseneck towbar..

Had the Jetta 5 (2.0 FSI).  It had the Sports suspension so was even lower than the normal Jetta 5.  Had the towbar mounted 3 Bike Thule.  Hardly any efffect on the the fuel consumption.  Yes had to be carefull going through dips as the bike rack could make contact but that was seldom a problem.  Then again it was a Jetta so most of the time I would fit two bikes (road bikes) in the boot.  Only used the Thule when on holiday and if the bikes came with on holiday.

If you've got a towbar with the ball mounted on a base-plate then you could always mount the ball higher, possibly with an adaptor plate.

... ignore this suggestion if you've got a gooseneck towbar..

sadly not ....  :wacko:

certainly would have been the easiest solution ....

then again, all the driving changes to accommodate low entry heights is a lot more work than paying attention to choosing lines so that the rack does not scrape .....

Thank you for the input ..... sadly you confirmed my "niggles" ....

Staying with the platform rack for now.

Will be making a nice "mounting rack" for it.  Making fitting and removal just that bit easier in the garage .... got enough scrap parts, just some cutting and welding .... nice soft project to start the holiday ....

Bit of feedback ....

Had another look .... NOT the Thule that is scraping.  Rocket scientists mounted the electrical socket too low.  The bracket shows a few scrapes, and was already slightly bent up ....

I took the bracket off, tweaked it a bit, re-painted, and then mounted it further back and higher.

ChrisF, I have a 1.2TSi Jetta, roof rack with 2 bike rack thingies. No major fuel consumption difference.

The car is low yes, scrape the towbar often when getting off a slope, etc.

ChrisF, I have a 1.2TSi Jetta, roof rack with 2 bike rack thingies. No major fuel consumption difference.

The car is low yes, scrape the towbar often when getting off a slope, etc.

Thank you.

Will give the platform rack a fair chance before going for a roof rack ....

but good to know the fuel consumption did not tank ...