Thin paint/material on new Specialized bikes

partydave

Sorry to hear - I would be very happy with flawed paint.

A buddy had paint cracks on his Spaz, which they did not warranty. I got to read their inspection report - it was clear the author was no engineer, and wrote some excuse not to warranty. I suspect the reply was done by the importer, not Specialized USA.

It looks like you should not hold your breath on Spaz warranties.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this not the reason why Spaz owners are buying a new bike every year? :o

I would be very upset if my very expensive bike had this bad quality...

Honestly the old Stumpjumper FSR 26er I had had no such issues with quality of the materials or workmanship - maybe back then they where actually made in USA and not some other country...

Edited by s14phoenix

Well...you know not to bother with those overpriced bikes next time you are looking for a new bike...

A few paint chips does not a bad bike make.

If I ever need to submit a more serious warranty claim, I'll base my decision on that

I recently had a Scott Spark XC bike that I unfairly treated like an enduro bike and put it through the ringer a bit but I never had a problem with any paint chipping due to rocks bouncing up on to the frame or chain slap or rubbing from transportation. 

Subsequently I've had 2 TREK EX 8's and the 2017 model (black) has shown chipping on the frame around the BB / top tube area and the chainstay.  Bizarrely, the 2016 EX version didn't even come out with a protector on the chainstay so I wrapped an old tube around it for protection but it still took a few nasty hits.  I even resorted to covering most of the frame in Gorilla Tape to prevent unsightly trail damage but I do think this was a little OCD.

Now, on Sunday, I see a chip on the piece of frame on the seatstay near the wheel on the 2017 model (silver). Peculiarly it is on the top side, not the bottom where you would expect because that where most of the action happens.  No dent, no scratch, no transporting, no rubbing.  It's almost as if the paint just fell neatly off the frame.  

Judging by the photos provided I wouldn't accept what looks like a faulty paint batch and so ultimately compromises the overall look and feel and aesthetics of the product.  Would you accept it on your brand new car. Definitely not.  I can live with the blemishes on my steeds.  I also don't have the energy to take it further and just painted over them with black model paint and silver engine enamel respectively but today's bikes are expensive so we shouldn't nonchalantly accept what the suppliers tell us.

In my opinion bike manufacturers will try as hard as they can to shift the goal posts to avoid responsibility.  They entertain your whims and whines to a point before getting disinterested and then block you.  It's not just with their bikes either but on their apparel too,  as I have experienced with a pair of expensive trail shoes (no name shaming but they are the one with the big red S).  

I love my TREK and can't fault it too much but I do think that their paintwork, again my opinion, could do with a little more attention to detail.  Faulty paint can happen and I think as a brand if you engage with your consumers in the correct manner then you will most likely have brand loyalty for life. If not, and you treat them like a gump, then don't be surprised if they next spend their hard earned cash at your competitor.

BTW. I have decided to buy from another brand when buying my next pair of shoes.  

Edited by Pure XTC

A few paint chips does not a bad bike make.

If I ever need to submit a more serious warranty claim, I'll base my decision on that

Then party on Dave! If you are happy with a substandard paint job, don't let anyone else tell you to expect more. 

Mail on its way!

All the best, they the ones that declined my claim also. The service i received from them, i will never buy a specialized bike again. Such a big company then an individual must take a loss.

Edited by #Arrie

I think this is a general trend.

Check out the paint jobs on Ducati Panigale 899/959s.

You’ll be shocked. They don’t even clear coat it....

If you want clear coat, you need to do it yourself, or go for the more expensive 1199/1299 instead.

Cost cutting at its best

You Spaz riders are surprisingly very nonchalant with bad quality and workmanship?

I would give them hell!

After getting my new EVO

I almost wish the paint would peel off

Not my 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5th colour choice.....

if only there was a colour choice.

After getting my new EVO

I almost wish the paint would peel off

Not my 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5th colour choice.....

if only there was a colour choice.

Sounds great! What colour is it then?