Can it be done? Cape Town to Knysna on a Road Bike, avoiding the N2

All I'm getting out of this thread is a deeper disdain for JHB....

That route from CPT to Knysna looks like a blast. Have to hit Wilderness though, absolute gem.

The last time I was visiting my gran in George there seemed to be a gravel / dirt road that crossed the mountain, maybe consider that if you're doing it on a mtb? Looked like an awesome drive/ride.

The Seven Passes route between George and Kynsna is one of the cycling gems in that area. The N2 is very rideable, with a generous shoulder, for the section between Wilderness and Sedgefield. The N2 between the Goukamma River and Knysna is dicey, and the same between Wilderness and George along the N2 (I've done both these sections and personally wouldn't again - the climbing doesn't scare me, but the traffic safety does !). Getting to the Seven Passes route from Wilderness via Whites Road is a worthwhile climb though ! Eugene Roux of Cycleworx in Sedgefield is most knowledgeable about the routes and road conditions in that neck of the woods. Very friendly and helpful with information.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja, probably on my own. I think it would be pretty risky to do that route alone. Maybe I just spend too much time in the Southern Suburbs.

When do you want to do this fella?? If it's a weekend morning then I could get a few guys and girls together to ride out with you, we can stop in Worcester load our bikes come home. You could sleep over and be on your merry way the next day and we'll be sending messages via whatsapp saying how awesome the ride was.... 

When do you want to do this fella?? If it's a weekend morning then I could get a few guys and girls together to ride out with you, we can stop in Worcester load our bikes come home. You could sleep over and be on your merry way the next day and we'll be sending messages via whatsapp saying how awesome the ride was.... 

If its after the 26th i can come meet you in Oudtshoorn for ride to Knynsna,

Yup.

Mossel Bay to George is a freeway, so you have to bypass through M Bay and up over the old road past the airport into George, which is a k*k ride to start but lekker to finish. That is the only bit that we aren't allowed on, once you have left Somerset West.

Yes, I was kicked off at this Mossel Bay point as it is a no, no. Came back at night and carried on the route.  Nice road, quite safe on the tar for me.

Feedback appreciated.

This is where it is leading me:

https://www.strava.com/routes/16433884

Comments on this route very welcome.

Is there any easy way of seeing where the gravel sections are?

How are these sections of the N2?

I'd like to do this in two days (starting at first light next Saturday). That will be two very big days for me.

Comments on

That's a generous offer. Thanks. But things are looking far too haphazard to coordinate anything. Next time, I'll be more organised. Maybe.