MTB Tyre Sealant Choices

DarrenV

Took a whiff now of the Sludge, definitely has ammonia in it. Is that still an issue for Maxxis and delaminating (forming bubbles)?

The Ryder sealant doesn't smell like it has ammonia.

No damage to Maxxis over a two year period

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being using Stans forever. Just a question. If you change to another brand do you need to clean out all the old sealant or can you mix different brands

Edited by Block

Two years on Enduro seal and it works in both mtb and road tubeless, lasts longer and doesn't corrode my rims. The local lads got this one right

Bought some Fug It at Midas. About half the price vs cycling specific sealants. Just wanted to make sure it won't cause issues with alu rims. The main ingredients seem to be glycol (antifreeze?) and probably latex.

Been using Fugit for two years now, multiple punctures sealed without problems. Cheap and effective.

No damage to Maxxis over a two year period

ChrisF,

I have been using Stan's for >10yrs without any issues. I have been on Crossmarks and Ikons for as long without any issues either.

As far as I know MAXXIS's warrantee statement still mentions STAN's by name as a sealer not to be used in their products.

I try to buy when they are on special. Keep the containers sealed/closed properly and it lasts long enough to the next special.

I have tried Batseal and Caffe Late, but in my opinion none works as good as Stan's.

Good stuff.

Being using Stans forever. Just a question. If you change to another brand do you need to clean out all the old sealant or can you mix different brands

Probably safer to clean it out as it might react with each other.

Although recently when swapping tyres around (front to rear) I just wiped the excess Stans off and put in Ryder and it seems to be ok.

Spent the past two days cleaning Joes of my tyres.

9381f0bc37e521b4acb72f723e6b112e.jpg

0066480bb2b0a450b28604838983a013.jpg

The one tyre took 5 hours, the other took 4 hours. Used a Dremel with a soft nylon brush.

Was a huge pain in the ass to clean off.

Next will be the wife's bikes tyres. Wife is on Stans.

Fug It lists this cycling specific variant on their website. I haven't seen it stocked anywhere though.

"New and Improved Fug It Cycle Tubeless Mix is ideal for the Cycle Industry"

post-19687-0-00929200-1608969837_thumb.png

Edited by MrJacques

I've noticed that Sludge Uniseal separates (like salad dressing). It will mix again once you're riding, but may have issues at the very start of a ride (I'm assuming).

post-19687-0-53514700-1608970067_thumb.jpg

"Ain't nobody got time for that"...

Stan's with a healthy dose of glitter from the teacher's cupboard. Helps coagulation and makes me look like a unicorn when I puncture.

CAAD, adding glitter a real thing?

Gots to try that.....or u just want me to be looking like a fairy farting glitter

It's real, adding it helps it seal. But... glitter on the trail is adding to plastic pollution. I've read you can also add other grit like the type you add to paint to give it grip for stairs.

CAAD, adding glitter a real thing?

Gots to try that.....or u just want me to be looking like a fairy farting glitter

Real, real. The Stan's is probably a bigger pollutant, but I haven't had a puncture in ages and I'm not vegetarian either. I believe my Sidi shoes might have small bits of leather in them. Begone with me...