MTB Tyre Sealant Choices

DarrenV

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes ethylene glycol goes into your tyres but have a read: E.G is  toxic. It is a colorless, odorless liquid that is commonly used as an antifreeze and coolant in various industrial and automotive applications. While it has some useful properties, such as its ability to lower the freezing point of water, it can be extremely harmful if ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin.

When ethylene glycol is ingested, it is metabolized by the liver into toxic byproducts that can cause severe damage to the kidneys, central nervous system, and other organs. Symptoms of ethylene glycol poisoning may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, rapid breathing, dizziness, confusion, and in severe cases, seizures, coma, and death.

If someone suspects they have been exposed to ethylene glycol, it is important to seek immediate medical attention. Treatment for ethylene glycol poisoning often involves administering antidotes, such as ethanol or fomepizole, which can help to prevent the metabolism of ethylene glycol into its toxic byproducts.

When ethylene glycol enters waterways through accidental spills, leaks, or improper disposal, it can contaminate rivers, lakes, and groundwater. Ethylene glycol is highly soluble in water, and even small amounts can have a significant impact on aquatic ecosystems. It is toxic to many organisms, including fish, invertebrates, and bacteria, and can lead to the death of these organisms if present in high enough concentrations.

Furthermore, ethylene glycol can also pose a threat to wildlife if they come into direct contact with it or ingest it. Animals may be attracted to the sweet taste of ethylene glycol and consume it accidentally, leading to poisoning and potentially fatal consequences.

And re your question about ammonia:  Exposure to high concentrations of ammonia in the air can cause immediate burning of the eyes, nose, throat, and respiratory tract, and may result in blindness, lung damage, or even death. However, it's important to note that the concentration of ammonia used in natural liquid latex is typically less than 1%. In most high-end recognized sealants, the percentage of ammonia is less than 0.01% once the latex component has been added. At such low concentrations, the associated health risks are generally not as severe. Ammonia is primarily used in natural liquid latex to extend its shelf life and maintain its liquid state.

1 hour ago, MTB SA said:

Yes ethylene glycol goes into your tyres but have a read: E.G is  toxic. It is a colorless, odorless liquid that is commonly used as an antifreeze and coolant in various industrial and automotive applications. While it has some useful properties, such as its ability to lower the freezing point of water, it can be extremely harmful if ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin.

When ethylene glycol is ingested, it is metabolized by the liver into toxic byproducts that can cause severe damage to the kidneys, central nervous system, and other organs. Symptoms of ethylene glycol poisoning may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, rapid breathing, dizziness, confusion, and in severe cases, seizures, coma, and death.

If someone suspects they have been exposed to ethylene glycol, it is important to seek immediate medical attention. Treatment for ethylene glycol poisoning often involves administering antidotes, such as ethanol or fomepizole, which can help to prevent the metabolism of ethylene glycol into its toxic byproducts.

When ethylene glycol enters waterways through accidental spills, leaks, or improper disposal, it can contaminate rivers, lakes, and groundwater. Ethylene glycol is highly soluble in water, and even small amounts can have a significant impact on aquatic ecosystems. It is toxic to many organisms, including fish, invertebrates, and bacteria, and can lead to the death of these organisms if present in high enough concentrations.

Furthermore, ethylene glycol can also pose a threat to wildlife if they come into direct contact with it or ingest it. Animals may be attracted to the sweet taste of ethylene glycol and consume it accidentally, leading to poisoning and potentially fatal consequences.

And re your question about ammonia:  Exposure to high concentrations of ammonia in the air can cause immediate burning of the eyes, nose, throat, and respiratory tract, and may result in blindness, lung damage, or even death. However, it's important to note that the concentration of ammonia used in natural liquid latex is typically less than 1%. In most high-end recognized sealants, the percentage of ammonia is less than 0.01% once the latex component has been added. At such low concentrations, the associated health risks are generally not as severe. Ammonia is primarily used in natural liquid latex to extend its shelf life and maintain its liquid state.

All True

Your Car is Full of It (Ethylene Glycol)

and So Is Your Solar Geyser

The Oil in the Car Engine is Toxic

So Is the Diesel

And the Petrol.

The Windolene and the Handy Andy both have Ammonia.

The Sealant You buy is Also Toxic.

BTW

The Homemade Sealant Works very Well I'm Running 3 Months 2 weeks Without Topup. (2000Km)

1 Plug during this period (No Unsealed Punctures)

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 17-37-01 Strava Joe D. Merida 120 9.600.png

Edited by dasilvarsa

15 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I havent had a flat or needed to plug anything on a road bike, a gravel bike or 2 x mountain bikes during the past 2 years using enduro seal. Ill buy it again. 

I love Sludge.

Mark introduced me to it in 2016. It works very well for a MTB.

On my gravelbike the higher pressure and the Sludge dont play nicely ... sure, it seals ... after a good spray of sealant 🙈

Mark recommended I switch to Enduroseal for the gravel bike.  No more sealant spray 👍

Tempted to buy the 1 liter and switch all the bikes over 👍👍

@MORNE  are there different types of Enduroseal ?  Does it have a short shelf life, like some other brands?  A 1 liter may last 6 months, or rather, may take as long to use ...

3 hours ago, love2fly said:

And once per month way too often....

well that depends on how often you ride the bike and on what surface. Tyres rolling on tar generate heat. Heat will degrade the sealant. in road tubeless with rim brakes more so.

in mtb tyres on a hot summer day, that tyre is still going to generate heat but has more sealant to help it cool so the sealant will last longer even in summer. Ride through thorny trails often and you're going to consume sealant.

So your "once per month way too often" is not a basis of understanding, just an opinion that doesn't take the conversation forward unfortunately

14 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

well that depends on how often you ride the bike and on what surface. Tyres rolling on tar generate heat. Heat will degrade the sealant. in road tubeless with rim brakes more so.

in mtb tyres on a hot summer day, that tyre is still going to generate heat but has more sealant to help it cool so the sealant will last longer even in summer. Ride through thorny trails often and you're going to consume sealant.

So your "once per month way too often" is not a basis of understanding, just an opinion that doesn't take the conversation forward unfortunately

Think you're getting petty...you expressed an opinion as did I...

Initially I did not bother checking or topping up .... had a few close calls where tyres would take a while to seal.

Few years back I read @DieselnDust comments about "every three months ..... Initially I also argued the point with him, as I "got away" with longer time frames.

Later I got in a habit of extracting the old sealant with a syringe, the idea was to do this annually.  It was an eyeopener to see how some tyres had barely 10ml of sealant left in it !! :eek:

My current approach is to check it 2 weeks before an event.  Start by using the syringe to check the level, the top up.

Edited by ChrisF