Turn back and help

Cois

How many of you will stop or even turn back to help a cyclist in need?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you will stop or even turn back to help a cyclist in need?

• Yes, I will help regardless
    • Yes, I will help if I know him / her
    • No, someone else will help
    • No way man. Time will be lost

Okay.

In my cycling days I saw a lot of blokes cycle past another cyclist in need and I rode in the C Groups.

Most of the time I would stop and help the person regardless.

Now the question.

How many of you stop to help and how many just carry on with the race?

This might be a good one....

Regards

Cois

Depends on the " time of need" situation...

Mechanical time of need - sorry probably would not stopEmbarrassed

Physical time of need (blood leaking out of an ear) - will stop and Hughelp

Agreed....how many people do you need to pump a tyre....but if you you're unable to get up from the ground, I will stop and help, regardless...

Lets say you see a lady with a flat pushing? I would make a stop, try to help and then go on. Know of a few people out there who can't use a pump.

For a fellow Worcester Wheeler - i will stop anytime if they need help!HeartHug

I guess i will stop for some other people too. This is 1)if i know them and 2)i will stop for and help most ladies

I am sick and tired of donating my spare tube to people who go on a ride without slime or a spare tube. At the Crater Cruise one clown borrowed my pump because he didn't have one, so now I do not stop in a race unless it is to help someone I know or a fellow club member.

Twice in about the last six months I have lent someone my spare tube and on each occaision it was not replaced!!!

While I still cycled for a club I used to help our clubmembers as well, but they are the once who didn't return my tubes or even once a pump. Had so borrow my own pump back on a ride.

In mountainbike that is a other story. They can just catch the sweep in any case by the time I pass them smiley9.gif

& a great big thank you to all the guys who ever stopped for me ... to help with flat tyres, broken chains, broken derailleurs, broken kneecaps & broken tailbones! Much appreciated!

every rider with a deffect is one competitor less so I start attacking!Shocked

it's is very annoying to see people without a spare tube asking for a spare one. if you don't carry one it's your prob. same with a pump. both are small and light and easy attachable to the bike or jersey pocket! even for the elite guys. wouldn't stop for those in particular!

race & puncture -> NOPE

race & blood / guts -> YEP

clubride & puncture -> YEP

clubride & blood / guts - PHONE OLLIE!

All of the above is true, I have also donated pumps, tubes etc. never to have them replaces. BUT, sometimes it's great when someone does help. Last year at the 94.7 I got 3, yes that's three, flats. Only carried 2 spares, so had to beg for a third. Took about 10 minutes, but a great lady in her fifties stopped and donated it. I asked for her details, but she would have none of it. Just gave it up and carried on riding.

I'm with Droster, sometimes it's out of your control, i.e. 3rd flat of the day, or someone amateur stopped for whose pump had broken. I try and assess whether they need help, and sometimes ask if they're OK, but (gulp) I usually ride on despite the answer! Maybe I'm going about this wrong...

Stopped to help one of the Colorpress development riders on Crater Cruise, no spare, no pump, no clue! I was a bit peeved at the club for not educating on such basics, possibly even supplying the said spares. But it gave me a good feeling to see Siphiwe finish because of my help!

I nearly always stop... even going to work in the car, I will check that cyclist on side of road can cope.... picked up many a cyclist as a referree following races,  and made some great, honest friends.... (yeah WW... will always assist you.) Even picked some up, en route to or from work, and dropped them off safely.  In my first Argus, a dad and son helped me out twice, not once, and I have never forgotten that. 

it doesn't cost anything to shout "are u ok?" if they need help you'll know straight away. got caught twice, once in a race my spare also punctured and then on a training ride (by myself) broke the value on the spare. on both occasions i was helped by fellow cyclists stopping to give me their tube.

At least shout..."are you OK", and check the answer!!!

If you don't, you're probably some of those riders who refuse to acknowledge a polite greeting on a training ride...Evil%20Smile!!!

I can't believe the number of people who have chosen the option "No way man. Time will be lost". I can understand professional riders and to a large degree elite amateurs, but 77%. That's just inexcusable !!

So what if you finish a couple of minutes later !!  Is it really gonna make a difference for the couple of minutes it takes to ask, are you ok ?

And the first one to bitch and complain that no-one stopped to help, is the same self-serving individual !!

Angry