Anyone has volunteered

TeamBaja

Maybe the payment is to cover your accommodation and food as supplied by the epic, or do you have to induce those costs.

Accommodation?  Nope you sleep in the same red/blue tents as the riders just in a different location.  Every year there are plenty of empty tents from guys sleeping elsewhere or the Epic making sure there are enough tents, so pitching 10 or 50 more makes no difference. 

Food might be subsidized a tiny bit but since the catering company is geared to feed 1300 riders already.  Add what, 100 volunteers?  Easily covered by the 1300 riders.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the replies, I fine with the paying part, stay in a tent as the racers do is fine as well. After next year, I'll get to race in 2020, so is ok to go there and learn the ropes a little. Is a big commitment when you fly from California USA.

I know people that have been trying, for a few years with no success to get in. So I'll see you in 2019.

Thanks for all the replies, I fine with the paying part, stay in a tent as the racers do is fine as well. After next year, I'll get to race in 2020, so is ok to go there and learn the ropes a little. Is a big commitment when you fly from California USA.

I know people that have been trying, for a few years with no success to get in. So I'll see you in 2019.

Good for you.Dont be put off by this miserable bunch of gits

I think there is something to say about experiencing the whole vibe beforehand, maybe even stay a few days before or after to ride some of the trails yourself and get a feel for what would be expected.

They mention that, if you decide to volunteer again is 1,000. 

Perhaps the volunteer "fee" is to ensure you don't bail at the last minute with your volunteering duties which could leave the organisers short staffed.

To me coming from over here it makes, getting there a few days early experiencing the whole race from inside and then coming to race a year later. So we'll see in about 4 months.

I think there is something to say about experiencing the whole vibe beforehand, maybe even stay a few days before or after to ride some of the trails yourself and get a feel for what would be expected.

To me coming from over here it makes, getting there a few days early experiencing the whole race from inside and then coming to race a year later. So we'll see in about 4 months.

Come over. It's a beautiful part of the world. Make sure you bring a bike and ride. There's looooooooooooots of riding in the Western Cape.

Someone on here did volunteer (can't remember who) and he said it was well worth it to get an insight into the race and guarantee an entry.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t understand the struggle to get an entry ????

Lately there has been numerous ones up for sale on Bikehub......and still available.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Volunteer program was the worst week on my wife's life, as she put it! Drove her to work from 4 :30am -8:30pm and *** jobs to (and you pay to work!), found it totally unfulfilling and pulled the pin half way through the week. Know another person who also resigned mid way through the week!

Volunteering is less fun for some, more fun for others. Depending on the team you are on I guess. I was on the Pro Tech team, and it was a jol. Nice team, and a great job!

That said, I wouldn't do it again for the entry. There are entries going "cheap" now, so if you train hard and can go at the drop of a hat, entries become available. 

Also, have your ~85k ready. You need to pay for the entry by the end of April (if they do what they did last year).

I like the idea of paying that as a refundable deposit in order for the organisers to know they can rely on you arriving and doing the work at hand ... once you have full filled your obligations, then it would be "right" for them to refund you the deposit.

If it was a matter of just volunteering, I would imagine that closer to the time they would see a fair no. of people just pulling out and then they have to scramble to find replacement staff.

I could never get my head around that one, that people would pay the organisers to do crappy work at the Epic - in principal it is just wrong on so many levels