Any group MTB rides I could join around Cape Town over Xmas/NY?

robingrant

Hi guys

I'm visiting Cape Town from the UK over Christmas & NY (arrive tomorrow and here until the 2nd Jan) - and bringing my long travel mtb with me.

Does anyone know of any group rides in and around Cape Town I could join over the period? Either Table Mountain/Tokai or further afield?

I'm reasonably fit and used to riding black trails in Europe - so keen to try the most technical stuff you have. ????

Thanks in advance!!

Robin

Hi guys

I'm visiting Cape Town from the UK over Christmas & NY (arrive tomorrow and here until the 2nd Jan) - and bringing my long travel mtb with me.

Does anyone know of any group rides in and around Cape Town I could join over the period? Either Table Mountain/Tokai or further afield?

I'm reasonably fit and used to riding black trails in Europe - so keen to try the most technical stuff you have.

Thanks in advance!!

Robin

Hi Robin, the Hub is quiet over weekends and particularly over the festive period. I can't offer any group rides but if you head to Contermanskloof Farm near Durbanville a day pass can be purchased at the farm (also have a cool coffee shop #dairyshed). The routes are well marked and I'm sure you could tag along with someone there, just ask. Hoogekraal farm is in the same area and worth a look. Check out the Tyberberg MTB website

https://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za

Table Mountain / Tokai also require permits although I don't have details on that.

Edited by Albatross

Hi guys

I'm reasonably fit and used to riding black trails in Europe - so keen to try the most technical stuff you have.

Thanks in advance!!

Robin

Hi Robin

Get yourself to the Kirstenbosch bottom entrance or Tokai (I think Tokai offices are only open during the week), and purchase a Level 3 activity permit. It will cost around R591 if you buy it by on your own, or if you make friends in the queue, and 4 of you purchase together, it will bring it down to around R300 if I remember correctly. 2 x passport photos are required.

Doing it this way will make it very cheap, as a daily entry to Tokai is over R70, and if SANS Parks are feeling like making Xmas bonuses, you are fined R2000 if you don't present the card when riding on the mountain. 

A good link for the routes and a great bunch of chaps to ride with are these guys: https://www.tablemountainbikers.co.za/

At Tokai you will very easily find the guys who are having fun! If I remember correctly there is also a trail map as you head past the old restaurant.

Tom

Group rides I am not to sure of but I would also suggest Tokai wide range of trails and Hoogekraal and Contermans both lekker trails, dit Hoogekraal yesterday and ended up being a group of 4 guys. You can't miss the trail and it's 95% single track.

Jonkershoek has also got some rad trails and if you get there early enough there's always loads people riding there but be prepared to climb 2 lines run from the top of "saaltjie" if I remember correctly there's other lines also lower down but at Jonkers you can loose the trail if you don't ride with someone who knows it. But lekker about Jonkershoek when you get to the top it's down hill all the way home same with Rhebokskloof but Rhebokskloof is not technical great fun trail nevertheless.