Rider down on Sandown / Malibongwe Tableview

Robbie Stewart

So a commuting cyclist on his bmx got taken out earlier today on the sharp bend at Sandown / Malibongwe in Parklands. Looks like he broke his leg quite badly. When I got there the CoCT law enforcement and Table View Neighbourhood Watch were slapping the cuffs on a screaming guy in the middle of the road, about 100m from the scene. I dunno what the story is, but looks like he tried to do a runner. His blue 1 series hardtop coupe beemer was all banged up on the left hand side, with wheels folded in under the chassis and the airbags on the left side all deployed, stationery next to the cyclist.

On my return 30 mins later WC EMS and Fire were on scene as well. The cyclist was still lying on the pavement being treated by the paramedics. He had pain contorted all over his face. It was not looking good. I hope he recovers soon.

bad time to get arrested: no magistrates to facilitate bail hearings, and to keep the jails from overcrowding, arrestees get shipped to holding cells at pollsmoor. Never get arrested over a long weekend. Strongs to BMX guy.

I disagree, Make him suffer in jail as long as possible.

The way people drive I am surprised there's not a accident on every corner. Taxi drivers you know to stay clear of but as for other vehicles on the road you can never say most people give enough space usually big bakkies come little closer but I had a i10 rubbing my sunblock off so close it passed me on a open road and I was in the yellow/cycle lane.

And you think why, did they not see me, did someone p#ss them off or are they just jealous, fat, useless people with little willy complex?

The way people drive I am surprised there's not a accident on every corner. Taxi drivers you know to stay clear of but as for other vehicles on the road you can never say most people give enough space usually big bakkies come little closer but I had a i10 rubbing my sunblock off so close it passed me on a open road and I was in the yellow/cycle lane.

And you think why, did they not see me, did someone p#ss them off or are they just jealous, fat, useless people with little willy complex?

perverse sense of pleasure at putting fear into others. They are the piper you have to pay to be on the verge ...

Hey, I drive an i10 and I'm a cyclist, I always pass wider from the rider... I swear it wasn't me though... ????

Strongs to the BMX Rider, hope he heels soon...

Edited by ZakAttak

Speedy recovery to the BMX commuter and good work by law enforcement.  

Went for a quick spin around the neighbourhood yesterday and I swear cars think it's funny to see how close they can get to you.  And being December (cops being deployed to high traffic area and operations), no one stops at red lights and stop streets are yields.  I don't think I've ever been so worried going for a ride. 

I think with the increased number of incidents comes an increased awareness.

Drivers were probably always doing what you've mentioned m-squared, possibly just didn't bother you as much.

Be safe out the guys.

Strange enough, on my ride yesterday along the West Coast from Paarden to Koeberg, I found it was all the non-CA cars taking chances, and the few moments I was not on the cycle path, it was a GP and KZ registration plate that tried to rub paint on to my leg, despite me still riding in the designated cycle sections on the yellow lines. I was reminded once again why I ride single track mostly, and not road.