Bike Courier to Melbourne, Australia

slickandtyred

Good day,

Anybody had experience in shipping a MTB from south Africa to Melbourne, Australia?

Airline quoted USD250.00.

Any better options out there?

Thanks

Is it just for a visit or permanent?

I was there in June and eventually decided not to take my bike and rather hire one as it was just too pricey and also quite a gamble when it came to possibly getting in 'impounded' due to grass/dirt on the bike, they are very strict in that regard.

If you do decide to take it with, rather deal with the cost and go with the airline because if the bike travels apart from you there are import permits and clearance docs that need to be done, becomes a mission. Also then, strip and clean the bike thoroughly and install new tyres, or better yet, take without and buy new ones there.

Edit: Oh, also.. you can contact these people, they do the logistics for many cycling teams, getting their bikes where they need to be around the world. Might help.

Triptych Resources (Pty) Ltd

021 555 3549

https://www.triptychresources.co.za/bicycle-transfers

Edited by Raydek

Thanks for the info. It's a one way ticket. Container arrives after 8 weeks, but would like to ride prior to that. Agreed re sending bike on same plane.

As for cleaning, will clews N it thoroughly beforehand, possibly service too.

Thanks

Hi I’ve done this a few times. Clean the bike. Especially the tyres and pedals and your cycling shoes. You will be fine.

I took mine along in March 2018. The bike and bag weighed just under 23kg and that left me with 7kg of checked in luggage. Additional to that I took hand luggage of 7kg as well as a computer bag with additional clothing. All worked out fine. I almost lost a bag at the Sydney stopover on the way back though. I also shipped my brothers bike there when he emigrated and that cost us R5k one way. Don't go overweight - it is very expensive.

Thanks for the info. It's a one way ticket. Container arrives after 8 weeks, but would like to ride prior to that. Agreed re sending bike on same plane.

As for cleaning, will clews N it thoroughly beforehand, possibly service too.

Thanks

Rad, all the best. I am right behind you (June).. 

Curious what container service you are using?  I'm contemplating MoveCube.

Rad, all the best. I am right behind you (June)..

Curious what container service you are using? I'm contemplating MoveCube.

I used Sterdts. Can highly recommend. Chaos name is Gert.