Malaria?

PP1549

Hi all,

Both my partner and I are first-time Cape Epic riders coming from Canada. We're really looking forward to coming to South Africa for the first time - March can't come soon enough!

We're currently making sure all our vaccines are up to date and wondered whether taking prophylactic medication for malaria is necessary, based on this year's Cape Epic route. From the looks of the route and the various maps of malarial transmission on the CDC website, it doesn't look like it'll be needed.

Anyone disagree, or plan to be taking any anti-malarial medication while racing?

Wipeout is 100% correct. You do not need to worry about malaria in the area where the Epic is. The nearest malaria aria is more than a 1000 km away. If you do decide to see some of the far northern and eastern part of the country (Kruger National Park) then it is necessary. Get advice from the travel medical clinic, often GPs in places like Canada have little knowledge of malaria. 

It is amazing how medical "experts" from what are considered 1st world countries are so clueless on things like this. We had an american over here from on of the biggest aircraft engine producers in the world last month to give us some training. The rubbish info they fed him was insane. He was put onto malaria meds. He was told to stay away from all forms of water(tap and bottled!!!!!!!) There were a few other ludicrous things they told him. By the time his 3 weeks was done we had him eating game meat, drinking water from a tap, sampling as much beer as he could that he didn't recognise. We took him to hooters at emperors and he tunes us it's similar but better than in the states. He loved his time here and wants to come back with his family.

I must say that their health and safety is proper though. While we were all working with basically just safety shoes and dustcoats he had oakley safety goggles, larney ear protection, new balance safety shoes, nike golf shirts with the company name on and dickies cargo pants with company name on.

Hi all,

Both my partner and I are first-time Cape Epic riders coming from Canada. We're really looking forward to coming to South Africa for the first time - March can't come soon enough!

We're currently making sure all our vaccines are up to date and wondered whether taking prophylactic medication for malaria is necessary, based on this year's Cape Epic route. From the looks of the route and the various maps of malarial transmission on the CDC website, it doesn't look like it'll be needed.

Anyone disagree, or plan to be taking any anti-malarial medication while racing?

If you're worried about malaria then Cape Town might surprise you... I hope you have enough time before or after the epic to explore Cape Town off the bike too. Some places will blow your mind in how beautiful as well as first world it is. Enjoy your time!

I used to go to clients in Moshi Tanzania regularly and didn't even take malaria meds for that. Only time I ever took was when I was going to be in dar es salaam for an extended period because it's coastal. Malaria tablets for the Western cape world be a solid waste of money

Interesting question, with some interesting answers .....

From a "world view" - yes South Africa is a malaria area.  So a prudent doctor may well play safe if they did not know the travel plans of the individual.  HOWEVER, this only the very far North-eastern side .... roughly 1750km away from where the Cape Epic is.  Your standard flight and travel path to the Western Cape will not pass the malaria zone.

It reminds my of "yellow fever" in Angola.  When we wanted to do a 4x4 trip we had to get inoculated.  After a lot of homework it became clear that yellow fever relates to a couple of forested areas, certainly not the whole of Angola .... 

It is amazing how medical "experts" from what are considered 1st world countries are so clueless on things like this. We had an american over here from on of the biggest aircraft engine producers in the world last month to give us some training. The rubbish info they fed him was insane. He was put onto malaria meds. He was told to stay away from all forms of water(tap and bottled!!!!!!!) There were a few other ludicrous things they told him. By the time his 3 weeks was done we had him eating game meat, drinking water from a tap, sampling as much beer as he could that he didn't recognise. We took him to hooters at emperors and he tunes us it's similar but better than in the states. He loved his time here and wants to come back with his family.

I must say that their health and safety is proper though. While we were all working with basically just safety shoes and dustcoats he had oakley safety goggles, larney ear protection, new balance safety shoes, nike golf shirts with the company name on and dickies cargo pants with company name on.

they havent had "geography" as a school subject in america for 20 years so.... :blink: yeah they are clueless.... they dont even know which continents they are bombing at any given time ....

Dont worry about Malaria... rather worry about sunburn... and that is a serious matter - plenty of posts here on what sunblock to use for the Epic

What do you recommend doc?

Although the Western Cape is entirely malaria free, we do however still have mozzies. They suck, both literaly and figuratively.

If you feel you need to keep yourself protected, have a couple of daily gin and dry lemons. Sorted ????. Dry Lemon contains quinine, a natural mozzie repelant.

Thanks so much everyone for the very helpful replies! Very much appreciated.

V12man - your point re: the importance of choosing the right sunscreen is a good one, and one which we hadn't given much thought to as of yet. Will be looking into the island tribe brand for sure.

Thanks so much everyone for the very helpful replies! Very much appreciated.

V12man - your point re: the importance of choosing the right sunscreen is a good one, and one which we hadn't given much thought to as of yet. Will be looking into the island tribe brand for sure.

Also consider a product called techniblock.

Its a spray on sunblock, I personally like to use it as there isn't that oily feeling after applying, like some of the creams.

They also make a small spray which fits nicely in a cycle jersey pocket, depending how long your out on course you may need to reapply regardless of brand or spf.